Which of these would you buy and are there any others that should also be considered? (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Looking to get back into a MH once the current lock down is over and after your opinions and advice please. We're after something preferably with bunks, oven and a large fridge. I'm an oldie so no license/weight restrictions. Budget is up to 23k for the right van. We really liked (and missed out on) the below vans.

- Rimor Superbrig on newer twin wheel transit rwd chassis (09 plate)
- Rimor Superbrig on 316cdi Merc chassis (02 plate)
- Laika Ecovip on Fiat chassis 3.0 model (08 plate) - this one was a little over budget but my god it was lovely (in the pics) and would be worth the stretch
- Ci Mizar GTL on Fiat chassis 3.0 model (07 plate) - was surprised at how rattly this was in the back when I drove it but think it was perhaps down to the owner not having things fixed such as tv/items in cupboards etc

Also like the thought of an old Hymer, but they seem rare with bunks.

Are there any of the above that you would steer clear of and are there any others I should perhaps include in my shortlist?

Many thanks
Sid

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sid, I know you said you are an oldie so no licence/weight issues but the MHs you are looking at are mostly over 3500kg so if you are coming up to 70 would you be able to pass the medical and/or are you wanting to stay at 3500kg?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Looking to get back into a MH once the current lock down is over and after your opinions and advice please. We're after something preferably with bunks, oven and a large fridge. I'm an oldie so no license/weight restrictions. Budget is up to 23k for the right van. We really liked (and missed out on) the below vans.

- Rimor Superbrig on newer twin wheel transit rwd chassis (09 plate)
- Rimor Superbrig on 316cdi Merc chassis (02 plate)
- Laika Ecovip on Fiat chassis 3.0 model (08 plate) - this one was a little over budget but my god it was lovely (in the pics) and would be worth the stretch
- Ci Mizar GTL on Fiat chassis 3.0 model (07 plate) - was surprised at how rattly this was in the back when I drove it but think it was perhaps down to the owner not having things fixed such as tv/items in cupboards etc

Also like the thought of an old Hymer, but they seem rare with bunks.

Are there any of the above that you would steer clear of and are there any others I should perhaps include in my shortlist?

Many thanks
Sid
There is an 08 3 litre but not bunk beds for sale John Charles between preston and Lancaster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thinking ahead..If you are an oldie is it wise to get bunks, not as if you are gonna get any younger.
I assumed he meant single beds ... I hope so! :giggle:

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
The Laika is in a different class to the others which are very much budget vans.
Go for the Laika.
Lenny HB - thanks for that, I did think it looked a different class (y)

Sid, I know you said you are an oldie so no licence/weight issues but the MHs you are looking at are mostly over 3500kg so if you are coming up to 70 would you be able to pass the medical and/or are you wanting to stay at 3500kg?
Minxy Girl - apologies I should've been clearer, by oldie I meant I have the older license with C1. I'm actually in my 40's...though I did have a hard paper round lol

Thinking ahead..If you are an oldie is it wise to get bunks, not as if you are gonna get any younger.
irnbru - as above, I've not been very clear, sorry. The bunks are for the kids

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Personally I'd go for the best quality on the newest base.

Laika or Hymer on a Mercedes would be best, especially if you can get one under 10 years old

Keep in mind anything built before 2014 with a diesel engine will find ever increasing sanctions on driving into cities in the UK and also within the EU.

Having said which, work out your budget, remember it will need to include a load of additional 'stuff' and possibly get something cheaper for a couple of summers so that you can work out what you want, what you really really want.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Having had a Rimor Sailer 645TC (low profile version of the Superbrig overcab ones) I can confirm the quality of it was excellent and probably the best we've had from that point of view with the exception of our current Carthago. What you have to check out is the payload and where it can be used, ie over the rear axle.

Nov 25, 2019
Dartmouth
Funster No
MH
1990 swift kon tiki
Exp
I,m a newbie
Just wish I could afford to buy,something bit newer but as not working an no money have to stick with my old first van managed to save for over past three years (as single and live alone that helps saving ?) an bought in December unless any one wants to donate nice one to me and I be very appreciate to them for their generosity :clap::clap::clap:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
No brainer, the “Laika” we had one and out of the six vans we have had over the years it was the one with the least problems, a well made solidly constructed van. ??????????

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We had our Rimor for nearly 4 years and only ever had 2 issues with it in all that time, one was to do with the control panel on the fridge freezer which obviously wasn't Rimor's fault, the other was that the external locker flap came open on the motorway but I can partly excuse that as the state of the road was terrible and the poor catch didn't stand a chance!

Duckato

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Considering how many Fords are stolen it might be worth comparing the premiums before even contemplating a Ford, I would assuming the policy markups must be staggering to offset all the thefts.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you want to buy a MH with bunks, one with what is effectively a garage once the lower bunk is folded up will be better.

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
Your choice of a large fridge is a good idea and maybe with a large freezer compartment. I have had swift and Autotrail and currently a 2015 Tribute. If your budget will stretch to a Hymer on a Mercedes Benz chassis but not the Vito, one thing I would say Is check if any recalls are outstanding and definitely a full and complete service history, also check the MOT for any advisory notes. I was with Mercedes Benz until I retired so would certainly go for the Sprinter version. I see someone has said about the medical for over 70 year old‘s I have to have one and was granted a licence even though a heart murmur was detected,
maybe bear in mind the possibility of been able to downgrade the plated weight if needed, my Tribute didn’t need any alterations to upgrade the plated weight as it is already in the parameters to plate up so if necessary it can be down plated with paperwork only and I Did that myself without any cost.
hope that helps in your search, one last thing I have bought my last three Motorhomes from Springfield Motorhomes at Bridlington simply because of their brilliant sales after sales treatment of customer, it’s a small family owned business with and absolutely great workshop and service team and service costs are very reasonable.
have Fun.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
What ever you do don't buy off eBay unless you are really experienced, a couple on this campsite, bought a cheapy off eBay, delivered for them !!! By the sellers a car followed and 2 burly blokes got out so there we 3 people apparently they kept the buyers apart!!! Got their cash, then the buyers found loads of faults, damp all over heating not working , sink drain not connected !! They told me that they had been done , ( really !!) The sellers disappeared off eBay (really I said )

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Personally I'd go for the best quality on the newest base.

Laika or Hymer on a Mercedes would be best, especially if you can get one under 10 years old

Keep in mind anything built before 2014 with a diesel engine will find ever increasing sanctions on driving into cities in the UK and also within the EU.

Having said which, work out your budget, remember it will need to include a load of additional 'stuff' and possibly get something cheaper for a couple of summers so that you can work out what you want, what you really really want.

Never thought of that re sanctions - very good point, though we spend most of our time in the highlands of Scotland:)

Love the Laika, a hymer would be nice too but seem to be very rare with bunks

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Considering how many Fords are stolen it might be worth comparing the premiums before even contemplating a Ford, I would assuming the policy markups must be staggering to offset all the thefts.
Didn't realise there were more Fords stolen than others, most of the ones I've seen recently have been Fiat and there was also a lovely Mercedes Geist stolen the other day

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
If you want to buy a MH with bunks, one with what is effectively a garage once the lower bunk is folded up will be better.
that's a good point, the Merc I missed out on had bunks at the side instead of across the back which seemed to have much less storage

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Your choice of a large fridge is a good idea and maybe with a large freezer compartment. I have had swift and Autotrail and currently a 2015 Tribute. If your budget will stretch to a Hymer on a Mercedes Benz chassis but not the Vito, one thing I would say Is check if any recalls are outstanding and definitely a full and complete service history, also check the MOT for any advisory notes. I was with Mercedes Benz until I retired so would certainly go for the Sprinter version. I see someone has said about the medical for over 70 year old‘s I have to have one and was granted a licence even though a heart murmur was detected,
maybe bear in mind the possibility of been able to downgrade the plated weight if needed, my Tribute didn’t need any alterations to upgrade the plated weight as it is already in the parameters to plate up so if necessary it can be down plated with paperwork only and I Did that myself without any cost.
hope that helps in your search, one last thing I have bought my last three Motorhomes from Springfield Motorhomes at Bridlington simply because of their brilliant sales after sales treatment of customer, it’s a small family owned business with and absolutely great workshop and service team and service costs are very reasonable.
have Fun.
Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, agreed re Mercedes - we've had a few from our Campervan days and they were great (apart from the thin paintwork). Hymer on a Mercedes chassis would be lovely but seem to be very rare with bunks and out of our price bracket

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
What ever you do don't buy off eBay unless you are really experienced, a couple on this campsite, bought a cheapy off eBay, delivered for them !!! By the sellers a car followed and 2 burly blokes got out so there we 3 people apparently they kept the buyers apart!!! Got their cash, then the buyers found loads of faults, damp all over heating not working , sink drain not connected !! They told me that they had been done , ( really !!) The sellers disappeared off eBay (really I said )
Yup, there certainly seems to be a lot of dodgy listings and going on's on ebay - particularly at the moment

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Try A Rapido on a Merc I had A Classes 2007 and a 2009 , 3 litre went like a train

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Check out running costs on a Merc. They frequently have poor MPG and the tanks are small so you can get to visit every filling station in the country!
D

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Check out running costs on a Merc. They frequently have poor MPG and the tanks are small so you can get to visit every filling station in the country!
D
Don't quite understand where your info comes from, my old Merc is based on a sprinter chassis and does over 250 miles on a tank.
Parts also last a very long time and are about the same cost as Fiat's when they do need replacing so it's not a frequent visitor to the garage. The timing belt is also metal ,not rubber.
Rear wheel drive also so no skidding around on campsites or fields.
Depreciation is also by far the biggest cost, not MPG , had mine for 7 years now and it hasn't depreciated, not that I would consider selling it.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Shame about the Laika.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun