Free Member
Nov 4, 2019
Derby
Funster No
MH
Still Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, brand new to this site so firstly Hello!

I will be retiring from full time employment at the end of the year and looking to purchase a motorhome. Looking on Autotrader etc. and the array of choice is just mind boggling. I have a number of requirements but can't seem to find everything all in one motorhome so wondered if anyone could help with some advice? I realy want a full motorhome with shower etc, not a campervan. I want to have a garage large enough for a motor scooter and a fixed bed. I have a drive 8M long. I would want air conditioning in the cab as a minimum. I have a budget of around £30K. Am I asking too much or is there something out there and I'm just not seeing it? Thanks in advance! :) Steve

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You need to get yourself along to one of the outdoor shows where you can view hundreds of vehicles. This will allow you to view layouts and get an idea of what your budget will allow.

The next big show is at Peterborough in April.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Best bit of advice is, don’t rush, look at as many as you possibly can in large dealers with used stock and think what would it be like cold wet weather, and where would all your stuff go.
Read as much as you can on here, until you’re fed up of it.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you are ok with lhd there are loads of German made vans that will suit you as long as you are not expecting a newish one for that price---- do you have a c1+e licence?? If so you have a wide choice, if not you are restricted to 3.5 ton. Gross weight giving very little useable payload----- if you can find one without a wooden frame you will eliminate a lot of potential problems.

What else are you looking for in your motorhome??
Welcome to the site---- you are doing very well so far!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Fast-Fletch
No need to buy the book, simply subscribe here and it is yours to read free, £15 to join if I remember correctly otherwise you only get 5 free messages.
And :welcomesign:to the best place to be apart from in your van when you find it, enjoy the search.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
w2f

As others have said get yourself to the Peterborough show in April to see dozens and dozens of different model motorhomes and compare to what would suit your needs!

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Adriatik Motorhomes seam good value for money.
Check for damp, corrosion, accidents, finance etc before buying.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Plenty about with that setup. It is very much like mine. Adria coral, 7.2m long. Big double bed, or pair of singles over a large garage, and about that price

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

As you are looking for a van with a garage to carry a scooter you need to check not only the garage load but also the rear axle loading.
There are a lot of vans where the garage can only take 250 kg pretty useless if you want to carry a scooter.
German vans tend to have garages that can carry loads of 250 up to 450kg.

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years

I will be retiring from full time employment at the end of the year and looking to purchase a motorhome. Looking on Autotrader etc. and the array of choice is just mind boggling. I have a number of requirements but can't seem to find everything all in one motorhome so wondered if anyone could help with some advice? I realy want a full motorhome with shower etc, not a campervan. I want to have a garage large enough for a motor scooter and a fixed bed. I have a drive 8M long. I would want air conditioning in the cab as a minimum. I have a budget of around £30K. Am I asking too much or is there something out there and I'm just not seeing it? Thanks in advance! :) Steve
Good sensible budget!
Welcome by the way.
The garage will remove Bailey and Elddis from the list.
Maybe an older Adria or Hymer?

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Best bit of advice is, don’t rush, look at as many as you possibly can in large dealers with used stock and think what would it be like cold wet weather, and where would all your stuff go.
Read as much as you can on here, until you’re fed up of it.
Spot on, we went to a few dealers around the country Becks Lowdhams Travel world and a few shows before deciding on a MoHo. :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Edit:
There are a lot of vans where the garage can only take 250 kg 150 kg pretty useless if you want to carry a scooter.
German vans tend to have garages that can carry loads of 250 up to 450kg.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You should be able to get something to match your requirements for your budget. If you want a decent garage for a scooter (which we have) you will probably need to go continental rather than UK models. Most of the UK makers are still stuck in their caravan building past, and do not understand the need for a good sized garage. And you could also get an A class, again made by continental converters, which has more space and better insulation.

Our previous motorhome was an Adria C class with a decent sized garage, but it was limited to 150kg so would be a bit tight for a scooter. I am not sure that that limit applies to all Adrias, but if it doesn't then I can recommend Adria as they have a good build quality at a lower price than many others.

Our present Hymer A class has a 450k garage limit, but in reality that is illusionary because if you used all that lot, the rear axle would probably be overloaded. Our Scooter weighs 100kg so a garage with a limit of 250kg should be OK.

The Hymer is better built than the Adria, and we would recommend it, but then again it will be more expensive for the same model year. You could also look at models from Burstner, Dethleff, Knaus, Frankia and Rapido. I am sure others can recommend other makers. At your budget all will be second hand. You could even look at models from more up market makers such a Niesman & Bischoff, but in that case you will have to settle for an older one.

All of this assumes that you have got a C1 licence so can drive over 3.5t. Payload is a very important factor, especially if you are going to be taking a scooter, and many motorhomes have such a small payload that they are not really fit for anything other than weekends away for 2 people. So make sure that you have a decent payload and do not take the maker's or dealer's word for it. Their promised payloads are often works of fiction. Insist it is taken to a weighbridge and weighed empty before buying, so you know what the real payload is. You will need at least 500kg in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Stevewheel

Free Member
May 2, 2017
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V Line 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Fast-Fletch , welcome to "the great unwaged" and the world of motorhoming. I can only echo the comments of others and tell you what helped us when we first started. I'm a bit of a "researcher" by nature so I found the motorhome magazines (MMM in particular) and associated websites very useful. Without a doubt you should get yourself along to one of the many outdoor shows (all over the country) and probably even the NEC Camping & Caravanning Show (twice a year). Even if you are not buying new it will open your eyes as to the vast number of layout options there are and each manufacturers interpretation of those layouts....you may be surprised by how your opinions change. The open air shows also have a fair number of used vans on display too. We also rented a MoHo a couple of times before we took the plunge and for us that was money well spent....in one case it confirmed one particular layout we definitely didn't want in our own van. Finally, take your time. Whatever you buy it will still be a significant investment and you want to get it right. This forum is a wonderful source of knowledge and well worth the £15 or whatever it is they charge for full access. Enjoy your motorhoming!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I found it useful to write out a specification - you have already started by saying you want a garage etc.

The excercise of writing it

a) clarifies you wants/needs in your own mind

b) when you show it to a dealer they know you are serious about what you want AND it saves them and you time by not showing you any old stuff they want to shift.

I did this and told one dealer that what I wanted was something like a Hymer 644/649. He said not got one, but showed me a N&B Arto very similar. I did not buy his but found one privately. The point being it lead me very quickly to the few models I would have considered, without getting confused.

I am a bit dubious about going to shows where there are only new models on show, because fashions change, e.g. island beds, and what is being built now may not be available in an older MH within your budget.

One recommendation I have is to stick with the builders/models which use alloy sandwich construction without any timber in the walls, as they are fairly bullet-proof re damp even if a leak occurs, as there is nothing to rot, except floors.

Good hunting.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

If you download this month's Motorhomefun magazine, within is an article about buying at shows. there is also a free download of a form which helps you find your perfect motorhome (y) . You can get the mag on apple or android from this link (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jim said

" ...which helps you find your perfect motorhome"

Jim you have been around motorhoming long enough to know the difference between 'perfect' and 'compromise'

Not decrying your article, just that word.

I bought a 'near perfect' one 10 years ago, then 8 years ago I met HER. She does not complain, but I feel guilty climbing out of the transverse double bed for a pee. Sometimes she does not even notice my going and coming.

Geoff

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am I asking too much or is there something out there and I'm just not seeing it? Thanks in advance! :) Steve

Not at all - very doable.

But you have to put the effort in, the only way is get on your bike, with camera and notebook, and visit every dealer you can get to. Take your time. Get a short list then repeat.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our advice would be find a motorhome dealer with a big stock, go into everyone close the door and imagine you are living in it for a month, check the sleeping arrangements suit you, does the bathroom meet your needs, are the cooking facilities going to work for you, is there a comfortable place to sit and relax at the end of the day (we don't like using the cab as part of the internal living space, been in there on those seats too long driving)
One size doesn't fit all so get out there and try everything.

Good look whatever you choose.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our advice would be find a motorhome dealer with a big stock, go into everyone close the door and imagine you are living in it for a month, check the sleeping arrangements suit you, does the bathroom meet your needs, are the cooking facilities going to work for you, is there a comfortable place to sit and relax at the end of the day (we don't like using the cab as part of the internal living space, been in there on those seats too long driving)
One size doesn't fit all so get out there and try everything.

Good look whatever you choose.

I cannot agree with that idea, as when the seats are turned round and the backs are tilted back, arm rests down, then they feel like totally different seats and the most comfortable seats in the MH.

Maybe our seats are better.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I cannot agree with that idea, as when the seats are turned round and the backs are tilted back, arm rests down, then they feel like totally different seats and the most comfortable seats in the MH.

Geoff
Yep, we too find that the seats in the cab are the most comfortable. They are the only ones that we can recline and support our head when they are reclined. We then put our feet up on the adjacent seats and they then support all of our body at an angle at which we can read or watch the TV. They are further enhanced because we have the wider and better insulated cab of an A class, so that there is more elbow room and the area is warmer and draft free.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Another supporter of the cab seats being the best in the house.

Also don't be put of by the first impression of an A Class cab, in practice they are easier to drive as the flat sides make them easier to manoeuvre and reverse in tight spaces.
Also a much better living environment they don't refer to them as "Fully Integrated" without reason.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Geoff

One thing we have learnt is a Fiat cab is a notoriously drafty place to be, so ours is sealed off with 3 panels, the "U" shaped lounge is the place for us, long bench seats with cushions, roll on your side if you want, a glass within arms reach, music and nibbles, or the TV at eye line height.
Built perfect for us that like to spread out like a sloth.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes Fiat cabs CAN be drafty but it's usually because the converter hasn't sealed off the vents that are necessary for when the chassis is used as a commercial vehicle.

There is sometimes a large hole underneath the left seat which should have been sealed with a large bung. Down the inside edges of the doors there are also louvred vents which can create quite a breeze when underway, so ours are sealed off with duct tape - yes it's not pretty but you never see those bits.

Finally turning the fresh air control on the cab heating to recirculate shuts off the vents from the bonnet - it's surprising how much breeze comes through if you're "head to wind".

BUT DO NOT SEAL OFF ANY VENTS IN THE HABITATION AREA. They are designed as "drop vents" to allow any gas escapes to vent safely overboard, gas being heavier than air.

We've learned these things over a few years and our Fiat based cab version M/H is always toasty warm, especially if we use the external insulating screens - even more relevant in A-Class with their huge picture windscreens.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back