Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
I’m getting confused or maybe overthinking this. I’m on the verge of buying lifep04 , looking at Roamer, Fogstar, KS, NDS/ Roadpro, EcoTree and it seems that different battery manufacturers each have their own bluetooth BMS system. Is there a standard for BMS’s or is one type better than others? Or does it not really matter and I should just focus on getting the most suitable battery/ price and trust that the provided BMS is going to do its job. Tia

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’m getting confused or maybe overthinking this. I’m on the verge of buying lifep04 , looking at Roamer, Fogstar, KS, NDS/ Roadpro, EcoTree and it seems that different battery manufacturers each have their own bluetooth BMS system. Is there a standard for BMS’s or is one type better than others? Or does it not really matter and I should just focus on getting the most suitable battery/ price and trust that the provided BMS is going to do its job. Tia
BMS,s are changing by the week no sooner you commit to buy the best spec you can another one comes along which is better and has more features.
Basically check the specs which suits you best, ie discharge current, charge current, temp protect both on charge and discharge, high voltage protection, low voltage protection, Bluetooth app and how customisable the settings are so yes you have it bit of a mine field, think roamer and fogstar look the best all round package in my personal view, good luck 👍🏻

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A BMS balances the cells, and protects against low and high voltage, low and high temperature, and excessive current. Apart from balancing the cells, it should never be needed, but is there as a last resort to protect your battery investment.

The chargers should be configured to charge a lithium battery properly, and ideally there should be a battery protection cutoff to stop the voltage going too low.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Thanks.
So, if BMS’s are much of a muchness as long as I buy a battery from a reputable UK based dealer thats offers support ( if needed) I needn’t worry?
I alteady have a victron Orion DCDC charger, victron mppt solar controller and Victron IP22 30A mains charger in readyness for LifeP04. I’ve bypassed the Sargent EC500 and wired the chargers directly to my current pair of AGM’s. I have a relay to disconnect the on board dcdc charging when driving.
After upgrading the batteries I need to then research an appropriate 2kw invertor. I think victron would be ott for my modest inverter needs though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
So, if BMS’s are much of a muchness as long as I buy a battery from a reputable UK based dealer thats offers support ( if needed) I needn’t worry?

Not sure that all are much of a muchness. The JBD Overkill BMS allows adjustment of pretty much all of the settings. See the screen shots below:

DF6A6ABB-C3F0-45E8-9BCE-5A33DAC019CB.jpeg

94268F1F-7EDC-48F0-86DF-B808DA59461F.jpeg

0ABE208A-F5CB-43B7-8770-33A80FD4785F.jpeg

Ian

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks. That looks pretty comprehensive. So if the JBD is one of the better ones,which batteries use it?
Best make a short list and ask the manufacturer or supplier to answer that, JK BMS are up there with 4amp active balancer built in.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
I see that Fogstar drift batteries use the JBD BMS 👍🏻 .

Roamer batteries have their own which uses passive cell balancing. Am I right in thinking active balancing is better & generates less heat?

I’ll keep trawling 🙂

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I see that Fogstar drift batteries use the JBD BMS 👍🏻 .

Roamer batteries have their own which uses passive cell balancing. Am I right in thinking active balancing is better & generates less heat?

I’ll keep trawling 🙂
That's right passive balancing dissapates/ burns off charge during the charge cycle, active balancing takes the charge from the highest cell and feeds it to the lowest cell both whilst charging and discharging so is more efficient.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Just had a great chat with Becky at Fogstar about their choice of BMS and she also reconfirmed that the max charge current is 200A not 20-50 as I saw on their web page. Hopefully they will update it soon. I’ve narrowed down my search to Roamer & Fogstar. I am leaning towards Fogstar simply because they use active cell balancing and Roamers is passive. Fogstar are a bit cheaper too! 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back