Where do you leave your car when taking your motorhome out of storage? (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Can you leave your car at the motorhome storage place? Is there usually a cost to do that? Is it safe and is there usually an insurance implication for doing that? Most of the storage facilities seem to be a long way from public transport and often fairly remote, so how do people who use them normally get to and from them if they don’t go by car?

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We used to use storage for several years it never occurred to me to do anything other than park the car in the spot that the MH came out of. I suppose if you were going for several months it could result in a flat battery but at the time we were working so no chance of that

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Likewise. We had a theft while away which can only be put down to someone seeing us loading u at home, so we load up in the garage and transfer at storage.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Likewise. We had a theft while away which can only be put down to someone seeing us loading u at home, so we load up in the garage and transfer at storage.
It could be that someone saw you loading up but lots keep the MH at home so it's pretty obvious when they've gone away others get a theft even if they don't have a motorhome at all. It could just be put down to bad luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Most car insurance that I've seen (and that's many) would be invalid if you left the car parked unattended for 3 nights away from it's usual registered location without telling the Insurance company and paying any excess.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Most car insurance that I've seen (and that's many) would be invalid if you left the car parked unattended for 3 nights away from it's usual registered location without telling the Insurance company and paying any excess.
Really. We leave our cars at our permanent pitch location for days or weeks on end when away in the Moho.
Must check what you say.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
It could be that someone saw you loading up but lots keep the MH at home so it's pretty obvious when they've gone away others get a theft even if they don't have a motorhome at all. It could just be put down to bad luck.
No, this was one of the few times we brought the moho home and loaded on the drive. Only two night away. Police reckoned it was a targeted burglary.

OP
OP
H
Nov 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Thank you for all the response. I thought you would leave your car there but as my drive is too small for the sort of van I am after I thought I would check before I bought anything

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have never seen anything about 3 nights. My insurance just asks where it is normally kept, a 3 day limit would stop most people from taking a holiday. Normally kept is different from perpetually kept.

Nov 1, 2023
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
Caravanned for many years, just purchased a MH
So what about airport parking, are they all uninsured ?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
So what about airport parking, are they all uninsured ?
No idea, you'd have to check the small print and every policy is probably different. Fingers crossed for the ones at Luton airport!

I think it's mainly to stop people avoiding higher rates by saying it's parked at place A when in fact it's mostly parked at place B, there are probably exemptions covering holidays etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had a clause in my van policy a few years ago(can't remember the insurer) which stated if my van was not at the address stated on the policy after 22:00 it had to be occupied or garaged.i called them up and they said not to worry about it ,it wasn't an issue,ye right !!! .The reason I went over all the small print on my policy was because of a post on here. A relative of a member put there van on the street over night whilst work was being done (on the driveway I think) and the van was stolen.the insurance never paid out £46k van.I always read all through my policy now,never remember half of it later but do at the time.I know its not a car but i can see it being possible as everyone tries to get cheaper quotes.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
On the back of the MH via an A frame ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun