Where can I buy 5kg propane tanks in Spain? (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,

I just picked up my new camper van in Spain but it didn’t come with a propane tank. So I wonder where I could buy one. Many petrol stations have propane tank exchanges but they are usually the larger size. I need a 5kg tank. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I should look? I am in Catalonia.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hello,

I just picked up my new camper van in Spain but it didn’t come with a propane tank. So I wonder where I could buy one. Many petrol stations have propane tank exchanges but they are usually the larger size. I need a 5kg tank. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I should look? I am in Catalonia.
I've seen a few in some Repsol stations but not all. Or maybes ring and ask at some campsites?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
How about a Repsol bottle from their garages.
Can't remember the size but 15yrs ago I "Hired" one when we ran out of UK gas.
Unlike the robbing 'C*l*r brand who give you nothing back after a couple of years but I gave it back to a different Repsol garage about five years later and got 100%of the deposit back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hanz64
Dec 8, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
I'm a newbie
Great. Many thanks for the tips. I will Google Repsol and start driving around. Maybe I will get lucky and I will be able to eat a hot dinner after all 😀

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes a repsol shop or eveb some garages stock them. A shop will probably want yo to pay the rental though.Also be aware that the larger 12,5 kg ones have a government controlled price which at present is around 12€ whereas an exchange 6kg one is around 16€

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
As gus-lopez says 😉 I almost said earlier but dinner was calling. 😁

Will a bigger bottle fit, because they are easier to get hold of, and the price is set by the government, normally I would say rastro or charity shops, I sometimes see the small plastic Repsol bottles for sale but not very often, when we tried to get one from Cepsa or Repsol years ago we didn't have all the paperwork, when I finally had it all including the gas check certificate, went in the Cepsa office she didn't want it too much paperwork she said I will put it down as for a bbq. 🙄😁

You could ask a Spanish motorhomer, or at a Repsol garage they do the small bottles, you might be lucky. Failing that you will have to sign a contract, they might give you the bottle and just charge for the gas. 🙂 Bob.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As said, we had to do the rental contract but we kept the papers and got all our money back. Therefore all we paid for was the gas.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Hanz, just to clarify some requirements, you want Propane not Butane?
The small K6 cylinders are BBQ use and are butane...
The larger size come in Propane and Butane...if you have space...get the larger size if it's fits...better still get two...but I think you are going to need a gas certificate if you buy from a regular source...if buying elsewhere...just a smile and some cash..

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Another point to bear in mind is that the 6kg cylinders are slightly larger in diameter than the 12,5kg ones. xroll:I got a 6 kg thinking it would work better in the last van as the larger ones were a dead fit; Only to find the smaller one wouldn't go in the door due to the extra diameter:cry:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hanz64
Dec 8, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello again. Thanks for all your comments. I am still without a tank. The bigger one won’t fit for sure.

So yesterday decided to get on my motorcycle (which I carry inside the van) and run on a reconnaissance mission. The second Repsol station seemed to have a smaller size. It said K6 on it. I don’t have a measuring tape so I can tell what size will fit into the compartment in the van. On the Weinsberg technical data sheet it calls for a 5kg tank. So K6 might hint that it is a 6kg tank. It looked slightly bigger that what I think will fit.

Anyhow, I talked to the clerk and they said it would be around 50 euro if I didn’t have an exchange. Alright, so I drove my motorcycle back to the van and today I drove the van back. However, it was a different clerk today and they wouldn’t sell me a tank unless I had an exchange. And they said it was butane and not propane. Well, I have no idea that there is a choice. I come from the US and there we simply get propane (and there are just two common sizes which you can buy anywhere).

So long story short, I will have to eat another cold dinner and continue the hunt tomorrow. I am just baffled that this is even an issue. Standards are great. Every country with some dignity should have their own! (There is some cynicism is that last statment).

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I can't believe the dealer never put one in it, we got our van in Germany, not new 11 months old, the dealer put a full gas bottle two pillows and duvets with covers from IKEA 😉and took us out to dinner. 😁

I know it sounds a bit of an inconvenience, but I think your best option is a fixed tank, or refillable gas bottles, 🤔 but............ in Spain they are more expensive the ones I have seen are made by Prakto I believe are made in Belgium come in both sizes, but does mean you fill up at any garage that sells lpg gpl or just has autogas on the sign all over Europe. 🙂
We have the large size, we did have two, but now just one and a Spanish bottle, got them in the UK from gas it who also do both sizes and fixed tanks, far cheaper than here in Spain. 🙂 Bob.

<Broken link removed>

Then you get different filling adaptors for different countries.

<Broken link removed>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Try to find a second hand shop,or flea market lots of gas bottles for sale on those.you may find a bottle with a burner on to to tide you over.or just get a larger bottle as a temporary measure and connect that up,at least you can have hot meals.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I left two 12kg bottles by the bin area in July..our apartment came with 8 yes 8 bottles. We only have a gas hob and gas boiler.....we always see them at the rastros also loads of camping gaz 907 bottles..
Our local car wash sells gas also..or the hombre in the lorry comes twice a week..

Dreaming of going back out for the summer 😒

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back