Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
We are spending our money in good old blighty
Brits voted for Brexit
and we have never been really been welcome across since
(because they were not allowed a referendum themselves)
And that attitude sums up why I never use my motorhome in the UK and cannot wait to get across the channel.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Totally agree. That and Alicante is a big destination for stags & hens.

2 1/2 hours of loud mouth effing, ceeing, teeing, yobs.

Groups of idiots.

Oddly, one group went from a young lad, to his grandad. It was the young lad who shouted to the group to calm down and have some respect.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Just driven through France, Switzerland and now Italy....not one UK van on the road and only one in a campsite in the Champagne....entirely unbothered by that state of affairs. Had some great conversations with our European counterparts, foreign travel should be about broadening the mind.
I quite agree about broadening the mind. The original post was simply a question I asked having never been abroad in my van before.
We were (pleasantly) surprised at the lack of British registered motorhomes!
I wasn't trying to start any arguments but as usual the "Brexit" debate rears it's ugly head :banghead:

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
I quite agree about broadening the mind. The original post was simply a question I asked having never been abroad in my van before.
I wasn't trying to start any arguments but as usual the "Brexit" debate rears it's ugly head :banghead:
I didn't mention it, just referenced my own preferences when travelling.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992

Not a debate. That’s been had. Advisory referendum held. A very aggressive and acrimonious divorce has been forced through. 50 yrs of partnership and development flushed down the loo.

So when questions like “why don’t we have any money??” and “why are the brits no longer travelling?” get asked, it’s not surprising that some folk will remind of what is at least in part, responsible for the predicament that the country is slowly sliding into. It’s been likened to a slow puncture which is a great metaphor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Not a debate. That’s been had. Advisory referendum held. A very aggressive and acrimonious divorce has been forced through. 50 yrs of partnership and development flushed down the loo.

So when questions like “why don’t we have any money??” and “why are the brits no longer travelling?” get asked, it’s not surprising that some folk will remind of what is at least in part, responsible for the predicament that the country is slowly sliding into. It’s been likened to a slow puncture which is a great metaphor.
Sorry - shouldn't have said 'debate' - I should have said 'bang on about continuously even though it won't change anything' :reel:
🙂

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
We are all at Bonterra Park Benicassim. Probably 50per cent on site are Brits, I blame Helen and Martin SSHHHH. Great site but book up for next year now as FULL OF BRITS until July and August when the FRENCH arrive, we'll most are Parisians not French
Sounds exactly the kind of place to be avoided like the plague....

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Just seen my first british moho in the wild on the road, having been driving south from Dieppe to now just south of Pescara, en route to Bari. An Autotrail Nuova outside Lidl in Guilianova....( which, incidentally, is selling gin at 5.59 euros a bottle.)As we are heading for 5 months in Greece where the same product is over 12 euros I bought 6 bottles, leaving one on the shelf for those in need. Will be programming a few more Lidls in tbe satnav....

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Pont d'Oiully, Normandie. That's where we are.
IMG_20240520_131706.jpg
(today)

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Had an interesting conversation with the owner of a french site this morning…..french camper arrived late yesterday evening and buggered off early today without paying. She seemed resigned to it, but said it had never happened with English campers who were always welcome. No excuse, it’s only about €15 and a nice site.
Unfortunately, it is quite common amongst French campers’ and have witnessed their early morning departures on many an occasion

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
Just come late to this thread, so not read much.

I just wonder why anyone wants to know 'Where are all the Brits?'
TBH, on our part it was just an observation we made whilst touring "We haven't seen many British vans on our travels". Don't read anything into it, it just felt like we saw less than the same time last year.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
TBH, on our part it was just an observation we made whilst touring "We haven't seen many British vans on our travels". Don't read anything into it, it just felt like we saw less than the same time last year.

But it has run to 6 pages for reading nothing into it. :LOL:

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Just come late to this thread, so not read much.

I just wonder why anyone wants to know 'Where are all the Brits?'
Just curious - it's our first time in Europe & I have to say it's nice to see plenty of room everywhere & a nice mixture of nationalities.
Having been to several rallies & shows & seeing how many motorhomes there are in the UK I just thought a few more might have ventured over here. I obviously didn't realise how big Europe is 🤣🤣
We are now by Murcia & there are lots of Brits!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
None down here at Langeac. Lots of Germans who have been exceptionally welcoming taking us out with them on their club kayak trips down the Allier. I just thrust a couple of bottles of plonk their way as a thank you. Though I was also able to partly repay the hospitality by rescuing a couple of their paddlers out of the river yesterday.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Just curious - it's our first time in Europe & I have to say it's nice to see plenty of room everywhere & a nice mixture of nationalities.
Having been to several rallies & shows & seeing how many motorhomes there are in the UK I just thought a few more might have ventured over here. I obviously didn't realise how big Europe is 🤣🤣
We are now by Murcia & there are lots of Brits!
RUN

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We're at a site just outside Le Bec Hellouin in Normandy. We were one of two yesterday, 4 more came today.
(Just spotted that this is in Touring Spain - oops)

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We're at a site just outside Le Bec Hellouin in Normandy. We were one of two yesterday, 4 more came today.
(Just spotted that this is in Touring Spain - oops)

In Zaragoza today, perfect weather for exploring this lovely city, but only a handful of Brits on the municipal site.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Like flies in Falésia aire in Portugal, but fewer further east in Spain last week. Some around Cadiz; next to none around Rincón de Victoria. A few Irish vans around though which we can't remember seeing before.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just seen my first british moho in the wild on the road, having been driving south from Dieppe to now just south of Pescara, en route to Bari. An Autotrail Nuova outside Lidl in Guilianova....( which, incidentally, is selling gin at 5.59 euros a bottle.)As we are heading for 5 months in Greece where the same product is over 12 euros I bought 6 bottles, leaving one on the shelf for those in need. Will be programming a few more Lidls in tbe satnav....
You're all heart.

I would have taken the seventh!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's only one in the aire at Brantome.

And the Mrs Bucket outside that van looked aghast with a nasty smell under nose and looked the other way when I gave her a friendly wave on our arrival yesterday.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Did you greet her with “geddon me bewty”?
Not my usual greeting of endearment.
Having that said, she didn't fit my usual, "Ey up! You're not sweating much for a fat lass." either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back