When to buy a Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

AndrewCW

Free Member
Nov 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi all,

My wife and I have rented a number of different motorhomes over the last two years and we've decided to go for it and buy a second hand one.

The big question is and bearing in mind recent events with every man and his dog buying them, when do you think the best time would be to buy a second hand motorhome?

We want an automatic with a rear lounge and also a bed either over cab or electric drop down for my wife as she can get very tired and needs to sleep during the day.

My thinking is this, a lot of first time buyers who bought motorhomes after the big lock down might be wanting to sell them early next year as they want rid so they can fly away on holiday. What do you think? Do we start looking and buying now or wait until early next year?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
My humble opinion, whenever you see the one for you!, Ain’t no pockets in shrouds n all that. If it fits the bill, why not. They might or might not come down, think of all the trips you could miss waiting just in case?

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
You will be competing against the dealers too. Stock is very low and they will want to replenish their forecourts for next season.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think it is possible to convince oneself of anything in the future.
Your thoughts have some legs, but so would everybody that bought a motorhome is keeping them as they enjoyed them.

Personally speaking, I think there are still possibilities of "hurdles" next summer but not as restrictive as this years so people might keep them.

Great time to sell your used motorhome and buy a new one (before price hikes), in my opinion, which is what we have done !

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Given the way stock levels are going in 2022 it wouldn’t be a surprise if the market is strong for the next 12 months (end of summer 2022).

Lots of comments about 2022 stock being bought up and looks like production overall within all sectors may well take some time to get supply’s back to normal - just my opinion…..

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Isn't it like the saying about when's the best time to plant a tree, ie 25yrs ago or today;)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In normal times, autumn onwards, through the winter, was an ideal time to secure a deal because it is traditionally a lean time for dealers who would be sitting on idle stock.

But as you and the rest of us know, these aren't normal times. :unsure:

So I'd agree with the advice to just get on and try to seek the type and layout of van you're seeking. (y)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I doubt if there will much, if any, downward movement in Motorhome prices over the next 12-18 months, what with dealers replenishing stocks (as Jackd said) and the scary lead-times for new deliveries. My advice would be to buy if you see something you like - whatever you pay, if you’re happy, then that’s what matters. (y)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
In normal times, autumn onwards, through the winter, was an ideal time to secure a deal because it is traditionally a lean time for dealers who would be sitting on idle stock.

But as you and the rest of us know, these aren't normal times. :unsure:

So I'd agree with the advice to just get on and try to seek the type and layout of van you're seeking. (y)
That’s what most punters have always believed , most industry experts say that the U.K. winter is their main selling period as all the new models are released and the major shows have always been traditionally in the autumn .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That’s what most punters have always believed , most industry experts say that the U.K. winter is their main selling period as all the new models are released and the major shows have always been traditionally in the autumn .
Exactly - dealers historically had high numbers of trade-ins during the cooler months, because of selling new models. And the OP said he was specifically looking for a used van.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
How long is a piece of string?
Life is too short to try and second guess all of the unknowns, just do it .

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ive just bought a Rapdio 8094DF, I think Ive overpaid slightly but not too bothered, I sold my Autotrail Imala 6 weeks ago and thought I could cope over winter without trips out...HOW WRONG was I.......Im shaking here :rofl:
Pick up is on the 18th and I cant bloody wait, they can have the couple of quid, ill get it back in smiles

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I bought mine with no regard for resale or making a profit, I have the attitude of once the money is spent its spent it has been well worth it over the last 3 years even with Covid
My parents were looking and the first one they wanted became available at the wrong time for fathers investments and taxes. I told them to buy it if you want it, backed by my brother after a sneaky phone call. They did buy it and had a wonderful time in it even help father to take early retirement one of their better decisions after having me of course

it you see one your really like BUY THE BL@@DY thing and ENJOY (your a long time dead I have heard it said)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Andrew CW

I think your requirement for a rear lounge will dictate when you can find one, especially if you want one built to the higher standards of many continental marques, as that layout is not so popular on the continent as with British marques.

Based on the difficulty of finding that layout, I echo the chorus of 'when you find the right one'. I have a friend who has been looking for a couple of years for the same layout and has not found the right one.

Maybe you should consider next best layout to give yourselves more choice.

I had decided on what make and model I wanted(after 2 years of research) then it took me 2 years to find one, but I was working so there was no great hurry. But I made the right choice and we still have it 12 years later and it is still going strong.

Good luck.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back