Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have just been checking out the wheel nuts on the off chance I may have a puncture at some near future. As far as I am aware these nuts have not been touched since I got the van in 2015. Not even on a service record has shown any swop around of wheels either.

So using the kit that came with the van I could not in any way start to remove the wheel nuts, so I had to resort to using and extension type bar for extra leverage. I released one then tightened up using the proper kit and no levering bar to tighten. I proceeded to each wheel nut with the same procedure making sure each was secure before starting on the next one.

Phew all sorted okay, but this has left me wondering how many of you guy’s check your wheel nut’s can be removed should you have been unfortunate enough to have a puncture in any type of road or terrain.

Flook

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My spare is way underneath and pretty close to the ground. I have the garage check the spare wheel and grease its retaining mechanism at each service but I don't intend to crawl under to get at it. My solution is to tell the breakdown company to send a strong guy.
I once sheared off a stud on one of my car hubs by using an extension tube for extra leverage.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The wheel brace that comes with the standard van kit is waaaay too short to undo wheel nuts. When I was travelling, I carried a 700mm breaker bar with the right sized socket on the end (22mm?). And also a bottle jack as I didn't trust the scissor jack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have just been checking out the wheel nuts on the off chance I may have a puncture at some near future. As far as I am aware these nuts have not been touched since I got the van in 2015. Not even on a service record has shown any swop around of wheels either.

So using the kit that came with the van I could not in any way start to remove the wheel nuts, so I had to resort to using and extension type bar for extra leverage. I released one then tightened up using the proper kit and no levering bar to tighten. I proceeded to each wheel nut with the same procedure making sure each was secure before starting on the next one.

Phew all sorted okay, but this has left me wondering how many of you guy’s check your wheel nut’s can be removed should you have been unfortunate enough to have a puncture in any type of road or terrain.

Flook
Excuse me, but I check my nuts regularly. :wink: :LOL:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
These telescopic ones are handy and need little storage room.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

Just checked. I think the wheel nuts on a Ducato are 21mm. So would that fit?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
My spare is way underneath and pretty close to the ground. I have the garage check the spare wheel and grease its retaining mechanism at each service but I don't intend to crawl under to get at it. My solution is to tell the breakdown company to send a strong guy.
I once sheared off a stud on one of my car hubs by using an extension tube for extra leverage.

In today's health and safety observant society, I wonder if the AA or whatever might refuse to get your wheel as they haven't been trained / don't have a risk assessment for it ?

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Copper grease on the wheels helps. Especially if alloy as the stick on the hubs . Had mine done at local tyre place they had to use a lump hammer to remove them. Would never had removed them myself.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Flook
Hopefully you used a Torque wrench to tighten them up too many people over tighten them thinking they have to be done FTight

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Copper grease on the wheels helps. Especially if alloy as the stick on the hubs . Had mine done at local tyre place they had to use a lump hammer to remove them. Would never had removed them myself.
Agreed. The correct torque isn't excessive it's the stupid (IMO) requirement to not grease the bolts that causes problems. I've used chain spray grease on every vehicle I've owned. The wheels stayed on. The standard tool used with as much force as you can muster won't be far off the correct torque. Or a 15st person standing on the brace 6" from the nut.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've got a long Snap-on bar with a socket on it. I bought it when I had more money than sense. Would make a good weapon to brain somebody with too 🤫

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Even though you can now loosen the bolts, if the wheels haven’t been off for a few years you will probably find them stuck on the hubs. You need to take them off probably by hitting the tyres from underneath the van if they are stuck, clean hubs and wheel centres and smear with copper grease. Make sure you have the van on axle stands when you are underneath, this is a lot easier to do at home rather than the side of the road.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Can anyone post the correct torque setting. Most tyre sales ops torque the wheel nuts when removing wheels as do service centres.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I sheared off a wheel stud on my garden trailer..... But the last time they were touched was around 25 years ago when I fitted new tyres. ::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For what vehicle base? Transit 16" are 200Nm=147lbs/ft

Ducatos vary.180Nm =135lbs/ft for one size.
Can anyone post the correct torque setting. Most tyre sales ops torque the wheel nuts when removing wheels as do service centres.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most tyre sales ops torque the wheel nuts when removing wheels as do service centres
And not always correctly.
I had new tyres fitted to my car.
After refitting the wheels I asked what he was going to torque them too.
Can't remember figures but whatever he said was wrong and I showed him the cars service data book.
He insisted he was correct and the official Chrysler handbook was wrong.
Get on with it matey, once it's out of the workshop I'll get my torque wrench out the boot and do them properly.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
And not always correctly.
I had new tyres fitted to my car.
After refitting the wheels I asked what he was going to torque them too.
Can't remember figures but whatever he said was wrong and I showed him the cars service data book.
He insisted he was correct and the official Chrysler handbook was wrong.
Get on with it matey, once it's out of the workshop I'll get my torque wrench out the boot and do them properly.
Did you tell the fitter he was all torque and no action? :rolleyes:. Penultimate towing trip Newhaven to Scotland, had 'slow' puncture on rear n/side car tyre on M25. Turns out that there had been an accident a couple of days earlier and hard shoulder barrier needed replaced. The puncture was caused by the industrial nail gun dropping a fixing that ruined the tyre. Limped to J9 and into Leatherhead for a 3 hr wait for tyre depot to open and paid £400 for 2 rear tyres.Tyrefitter laughed when I asked about re-torquing wheelnuts after 30or so miles ... 'These buggers will never shift!'; and, 2 years+ later, he's still right ... No problems reported at 2 subsequent annual services ...

Steve

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Never have or needed to. I have breakdown insurance for that.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Never have or needed to. I have breakdown insurance for that.
Arranged Green Flag UK Premium Plus Breakdown Cover today and asked about the exclusion/chargeable extra if no suitable spare wheel. Was told by Karen that the 'no spare tyre' Burstner would not be a problem, because so many vehicles are afflicted with this manufacturers penny pinching approach. Apparently, Green Flag will also supply the Tyre Goo and Compressor [no charge mentioned and I was complaining about a misleading Premium Quote at the time!], as long as you mention the need when you call the breakdown in [I mentioned this because the Dealer overlooked provision of Goo + Compressor has still not been delivered, and we might venture out tomorrow, so I'll rely on the assurance if we have a puncture!]

Steve

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years

The only criticism I have with these extending wrenches, is the angle of the cranked end. I appreciate that it may allow better access, but most of the time a 90degree bend would be much better. With the angled crank being more than 90degrees the socket always has a tendency to roll of the nut, especially if the nuts/bolts have a shallow head and are really tight.
I have a couple of these and I have re-engineered both by giving them a right angled crank.

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The only criticism I have with these extending wrenches, is the angle of the cranked end. I appreciate that it may allow better access, but most of the time a 90degree bend would be much better. With the angled crank being more than 90degrees the socket always has a tendency to roll of the nut, especially if the nuts/bolts have a shallow head and are really tight.
I have a couple of these and I have re-engineered both by giving them a right angled crank.

Geoff
Indeed. I have had that happen on overtightened nuts on my old MGB GT where I needed an angled shaft for clearance as the wheels are set back within the car's wing panels.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Ive recommended cracking the wheel nuts and then retorqueing them on various threads but it's always best to use a torque wrench not gne wheel brace in the tool kit

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
. As far as I am aware these nuts have not been touched since I got the van in 2015. Not even on a service record has shown any swop around of wheels either.
So your brakes have not been serviced or indeed properly checked in 6yrs????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back