What to buy for setting our first motorhome (1 Viewer)

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
We have just bought our first motor home (Swift Bessacarr 597) and are excitedly (impatiently) awaiting delivery to Northern Ireland. In the meantime, I thought I would ask you guys; what are the essentials we will need for a first motor home that we wouldn't necessarily think of? Obviously we will need bedding etc, but using your collective experience, what else should we consider? Picnic tables and seats, etc, etc. We would be really interested to see what your experiences have been

Alcfire

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2020
Grantham UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I notice a fire extinguisher has already been mentioned, but no mention of a fire blanket, in my opinion is a must.
when purchasing a fire extinguisher, try to stay away from a dry powder extinguisher, when travelling, the powder compacts into the base of the extinguisher and it might not operate, on top of that a powder extinguisher is good at extinguishing fires but the powder will go everywhere and I mean everywhere (ex firefighter)

Upvote 0

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Welcome to the motorhome world , i would start off slow electric kettle when on hook up gas kettle when not ,pots n pans try and buy the ones that stack together and have one handle that attaches to them all , hook up cable make sure it's a long one , best thing I. Can advise is first outing is not too far away to get used to the van and how it works then you will find out what's best for you , I bet there is not one member on here that's bought something for the van and used it once and then never again , don't waste money and if you do buy anything try and get the the best you can afford it will last longer, and always be wary of weight , most of all enjoy it relax and make memories .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Something we bought recently is a small slow cooker. We leave things cooking whilst we are out for the day. It’s great to come back to a meal ready done.
What you carry will depend on storage space. Form what I read some people feel it’s compulsory to fill every nook and cranny up to the carrying capacit.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We soon realised we needed a waste water collected and a fresh water carrier to top up and un top up

Upvote 0

RapidoDai

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Newport, Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Welcome to Motor-homing. I hope you have good times and have lots of fun. When we bought our first van we were bombarded with must-haves from established motor-homers. we listened but in the end decided what we needed that would suit our intended use! Having said that some advice was invaluable. e.g. "watch the weight of things you buy and try to buy things that have more than one use." We have found a few items that we would never be without though, and I think most people have already suggested these. Levelling ramps and long hookup leads or two for those times when you are forced to pitch at a distance from the EHU, interlocking or interconnecting cooking pots and basins. A roll of non-slip matting for lining draws and cupboards to stop things sliding and rattling. Plastic food containers and draw/cupboard organisers like the ones for socks etc ...very useful for tins and bottles to stop them rattling. More recently small USB cigarette lighter adapters for charging phones, Tablets etc. I don't think anyone gets it right first time, you will build up 'stuff' as you go along.
Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I usually say camp on your drive (or locally) with minimum stuff... then you can work out what's important to you.

Example the standard response was "corkscrew" but of course most wine is screwcap, you might drink beer.... so it's an unnecessary bit of kit.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I think you will find the Funsters a mine of info,I did, you have to pick and choose which bits to take on board, however, all advice is valid,It will give you a brain freeze, but it’s a lot of fun doing it,, (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back