What to buy for setting our first motorhome (1 Viewer)

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
We have just bought our first motor home (Swift Bessacarr 597) and are excitedly (impatiently) awaiting delivery to Northern Ireland. In the meantime, I thought I would ask you guys; what are the essentials we will need for a first motor home that we wouldn't necessarily think of? Obviously we will need bedding etc, but using your collective experience, what else should we consider? Picnic tables and seats, etc, etc. We would be really interested to see what your experiences have been

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe there is a loading list in the resources section somewhere related to weight for checking against payload, that may help.

also

no matter how many lists or how much stuff you cram into the van you will inevitably find that either you wish you had another item or why have i got this.
I always have a small note book in the van as even now we find we need something different or want to remove / change something. so as we think of it, it is written in the note book.
on return home out come the book and any changes / additions made.

maybe one day we will have the set up perfect ;).

Upvote 0

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Don’t get sucked into spending to much or you will buy stuff that’s never used. Use it and buy slowly.
We went away the first couple of times very locally so I could go home if I forgot something.
first time was just 20 minutes down the road to Ravenglass, watching everybody else I decided I wanted waterhogs rather than driving round to fill / empty and so it progressed, bit by bit.
We’ve forgotten all sorts and still coped, essentials being patience and a sense of humour.
Good luck and good travels.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
An awning. Most vans do not have one as standard. It give you shelter from rain and sunshine
Two triangles. required in some places
Dayglow jacket Essential if you leave the vehicle
Tow rope For an unknown situation
A watering can more useful than a hose when camping, or you have to move the van
An external step Although your own doorway is fairly low, a small step really works
An outside mat or carpet to step on before bringing grass or mud into the van

More expensive pleasures for later:- Solar panels, Refillable gas bottles, rear view camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Cooking wise-look at your kitchen and take stuff you use regularly you will soon realise that you don’t actually need half of it! Filter out the bits you find you don’t need then buy new for the van what you do need.
You will find there are some things you think you can’t do without only to find the opposite!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Stay in it on the drive for a few nights, that’ll make sure everything is working and you’ll realise what you need then you can pop inside to get it.... most household stuff will do until you know what works best....

it’s surprising what you can get and lose in a van, I reckon I had a 3 bedroom house in there somewhere...😆

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Best things we bought when first starting out.
1/Moroccan Mat think it’s about 6m x 3m but folds up well pretty durable and easy to clean. http://moroccanmatting.co.uk/
2/Avtex TV and sound bar with blue tooth.
3/ Cadac BBQ Safari chef
4/ Storage boxes from IKEA to stack in the garage particularly useful for keeping wet jackets and boots away from the rest of your gear.
5/ Small tool kit gaff-a tape and a decent torch
Like others have said all depends on what you enjoy doing but the above is what we wouldn’t be without.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
An awning. Most vans do not have one as standard.
Two triangles.
Dayglow jacket
Tow rope
A watering can
An example, an awning. We have one and never use it, yet others see it as essential. As said take your time.

Upvote 1

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Pre purchase - nothing.
Park it on your drive or outside your home.
Spend a few days living in it.
Everytime you you go back in the house for something, write it down.
Every morning you haven’t used something, put it back in the house.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Bought the stuff for first MH last year. I found Lisburn caravans near Ballinderry good for essentials and helpful people. Prices ok. Bought the Avtex tv and portable BBQ (Weber) through the inter web, much cheaper. Best accessories so far....watering can, torch, covers to keep seats clean, bbq, tv, outside chairs, small set of tools, plastic cups/plates, small brush and pan, decent quilt and cover. Enjoy...NI and ROI lots of great spots to try out.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Parabolic wing mirrors (if not already fitted)

Battery-to-battery charger - research what they do.

If you have a motorhome garage then ratchet straps rather than bungees for securing heavy items.

Roll of non-slip matting for lining bottom of cupboards to stop glasses/mugs/pans sliding and for making coasters for glasses on table(inside or out) if on slight slope.

Refillable gas bottles.

Phone charger with cigar-lighter plug.

Bio washing machine liquid or sachets for the toilet cassette - to save buying the expensive liquid they try to sell you.

Don't buy a kettle - use a saucepan to save space. Preferably stackable pans to save more space.

Ice cube bags - for when you trip and twist an ankle. Can also be used for G+T :LOL:

A good cook.

Big smile - for when you are sitting with a beautiful view having a sundowner and thinking of all the stupid b******s stuck in a high-rise flat.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Irish Rovers

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Bought the stuff for first MH last year. I found Lisburn caravans near Ballinderry good for essentials and helpful people. Prices ok. Bought the Avtex tv and portable BBQ (Weber) through the inter web, much cheaper. Best accessories so far....watering can, torch, covers to keep seats clean, bbq, tv, outside chairs, small set of tools, plastic cups/plates, small brush and pan, decent quilt and cover. Enjoy...NI and ROI lots of great spots to try out.
Cant wait to get out there. Maybe we will bump into you around the roads

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Pre purchase - nothing.
Park it on your drive or outside your home.
Spend a few days living in it.
Everytime you you go back in the house for something, write it down.
Every morning you haven’t used something, put it back in the house.
Agree totally. you need to know what you need/ want not what someone else thinks you need. eg I don't need an EHU cable but have aquired 4 and take 2 with me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back