What Should My Tyre Pressure Be, Please? (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
That's ilrelavant those are max axle weights you set the tyre pressures for the actual weights you run at. So you have to go to a weighbridge fully loaded to measure the axle weights.
So (eventually) got to a weigh bridge and the axle weights were
Front 1840kg
Rear 1560kg.

We didn’t have the dog with so that is another 25kg in middle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No, I have the results in front on me.
Engine and driver plus passenger over front so that must add extra weight there.
Not forgetting the fuel tank is at front too.
What about all the gear when you are fully loaded that rear sound very light.
What is the van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
What about all the gear when you are fully loaded that rear sound very light.
What is the van?
It is a Fiat Ducato 6m Hymer Free 600. So a PVC

The FW tank is 50% full so 45kg
The usual tables, chairs and stuff was loaded in.
I didn’t have a bike on the rack but knew that would be extra.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
When you have determined the theoretical correct pressure for your tyres based on axle weight and load rating there is another quick check that you can perform at almost any time. The touch test!

Immediately after driving a minimum of about 10 miles walk around the vehicle, car, MH, what have, you and touch each tyre. All of them should be close to the same temperature and be warm to touch, not too cool nor too hot to touch.

Heat is the biggest tyre killer of all, it is mostly generated by side wall flexing. A tyre that is too hard with run too cool and not achieve its road holding and comfort potential. Conversely a tyre that is too soft will flex too much and heat will build up damaging the tyre and in extreme cases it will disintegrate.

Also, in very hot temperatures it is worth adding a few p.s.i to your tyres to discourage them from overheating.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Trying to confuse me your profile say Dethleffs.
Still sounds very high for the front, I've had a Hymer Tramp with standard Ducato front end & an A Class Exsis bothwere 1630 on the front.

Is it on a Maxi chassis or is it a 9 speed auto as both of those are a lot heavier on the front?

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Trying to confuse me your profile say Dethleffs.
Still sounds very high for the front, I've had a Hymer Tramp with standard Ducato front end & an A Class Exsis bothwere 1630 on the front.

Is it on a Maxi chassis or is it a 9 speed auto as both of those are a lot heavier on the front?
First thing, it is a 9 speed auto so that is a few extra kilos in front.
Next, I must update the profile then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
First thing, it is a 9 speed auto so that is a few extra kilos in front.
Next, I must update the profile then.
Yes that's an extra 55 Kg as with the 9 speed they fit Maxi running gear i.e. Bigger hubs and breaks ad the 16" 130 PCD wheels. That's on the light chassis if on a Maxi chassis ony 15 kg extra for the 9 speed
Still seams heavy at the front.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Yes that's an extra 55 Kg as with the 9 speed they fit Maxi running gear i.e. Bigger hubs and breaks ad the 16" 130 PCD wheels. That's on the light chassis if on a Maxi chassis ony 15 kg extra for the 9 speed
Still seams heavy at the front.
Hymer website states it is on a maxi chassis as they fit/use that for auto gearboxes. It also says extra 35kg.
We have two batteries and as under front seat that is extra there.

As an extra point, I shall have to be careful with loading up as though water was full the fuel load is under half.
Might have to investigate that.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
So (eventually) got to a weigh bridge and the axle weights were
Front 1840kg
Rear 1560kg.

We didn’t have the dog with so that is another 25kg in middle.

Have been following Lenny HB ’s comments on this. It does seem a little unusual that the front is heavier than the rear.

When you were at the weighbridge, was each axle weighed separately and then the total checked against the weight with both axles on the weighbridge? Also, was the weighbridge a flat-bed type (i.e. set into the ground), or was it set on the surface with a ramp at either end? If the latter (which you usually get at places like scrap metal dealers, who only seek to measure the total load off-loaded), you can not accurately measure separate axle weights when weighing the vehicle at an angle.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Have been following Lenny HB ’s comments on this. It does seem a little unusual that the front is heavier than the rear.

When you were at the weighbridge, was each axle weighed separately and then the total checked against the weight with both axles on the weighbridge? Also, was the weighbridge a flat-bed type (i.e. set into the ground), or was it set on the surface with a ramp at either end? If the latter (which you usually get at places like scrap metal dealers, who only seek to measure the total load off-loaded), you can not accurately measure separate axle weights when weighing the vehicle at an angle.
Hi

It was a local grain company weigh bridge.
It was flat bed type.
I did put front axle on and then all van to get total weight and lastly rear axle.
There was not much difference between the two axle weights and total weight with van on platform.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back