What isolation switch for solar panels? (2 Viewers)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I'm in the process of fitting a second battery and MPPT controller. At the same time I'd like to fit an isolating switch to enable me to easily disconnect the solar panels. Can anyone recommend a suitable switch please?

Malcolm

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Why not just put a fuse in that can be pulled, would be best to have one before the regulator anyway so that the panel connection can be made last.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any switch rated for the panel current - 100W panel / 10A switch for example. Probably more important is appearance & where you intend to install it. An inline fuse holder fitted near to where the panel wiring enters the van would do the job rather than a switch. Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-...830214?hash=item19ef0da106:g:bigAAOSwKtlWoNSW

Edit: as Martin suggests :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
With 400w of panel, I used one of these. Switch and fuse in one. They do them at various ratings for you to choose to match your requirements. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do what ever you think you need to do at night?(y)

I have 3 X 150w panels and have no switch, and to be honest, can't think of a reason I would need one?

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Thanks everybody. @SuperMike I didn't see a link in your post.

Eddie, there's a school of thought that says leaving batteries on charge all the time isn't particularly good for them. It makes sense to me on the basis that any current in or out results in some activity at the plates, whereas a battery in good condition, fully charged, just sits there. My MH isn't used for 2/3 months at a time, so I'm thinking a short top up once every 4/6 weeks would be better.

I accept there's nearly as many varying opinions about batteries as there is politics though.:D

Malcolm

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

Eddie, there's a school of thought that says leaving batteries on charge all the time isn't particularly good for them. It makes sense to me on the basis that any current in or out results in some activity at the plates, whereas a battery in good condition, fully charged, just sits there. My MH isn't used for 2/3 months at a time, so I'm thinking a short top up once every 4/6 weeks would be better.

I accept there's nearly as many varying opinions about batteries as there is politics though.:D

Malcolm
You will always have a drain off the batteries - the charger unit / EBL makes sure of that. If you have alarm or tracker, this will drain the Cab battery and if solar isn't charging the Cab as well, you may need the Hab battery to top this up via battery master or the like.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Malcolm

Oppppppppps, sorry. It's 'cos we are away, again, again, again and I am in not concentrating, slop out mode. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks everybody. @SuperMike Eddie, there's a school of thought that says leaving batteries on charge all the time isn't particularly good for them. :D

Malcolm

That is what night time is for;)

If you install a Battery Master as well, the quiescent drain of ECU's alarms, clocks, radio's, Navigation systems, tracking systems etc will mean that there is always a drain on the engine battery, that in turn will put a load on the leisure battery.

So a constant state of flux

Personally my camper is plugged into the mains all the time, freezer on, fridge on, wine cooler on, so always ready for the off. I am of the opinion that things rarely go wrong when your using them, its when you turn things off, and shut things down that things go tits up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back