What Is This Spongy Area In The Cab Floor, Please? (Fiat Ducato) (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
I guess someone's finding it funny to take the p*ss out of me for not knowing what's under the floor. Oh well, I'm just a girl. What would I know. Still, at least I asked and tried to learn something about my MoHo, instead of just blindly using it without any knowledge.
I've wondered what is under the "spongy" bit but never had the inclination to have a look.
Thanks for raising this as its helped with my understanding of the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: HKF

Ilovemyhobby

Free Member
Sep 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby V65 GE
I guess someone's finding it funny to take the p*ss out of me for not knowing what's under the floor. Oh well, I'm just a girl. What would I know. Still, at least I asked and tried to learn something about my MoHo, instead of just blindly using it without any knowledge.
Just a Girl? I have 2 girls and I'm very proud of them both. There's 2 girls on YouTube, one, if she doesn't know something, she learns about it, then teaches others. I admire here very much. There are many men who kind of giggle and say I'm not mechanically minded or some such dribble. Never think you're "Just a Girl"

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Everyone knows that Burstners are posher than Hymers and Cathagos...

and by the way, I have servants but they, and other folk, call themselves...

"Carers".

JJ :cool:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Used the van as overnight accommodation as we were allowed to park in car park when we attended a wedding. Good lady gets all the glad rags on( must say she does polish up well!) Then she mounts up via front door. Arrive at said location decides she wants to check her 'make up' in bathroom. Proceeds to get up and walk back in the van. Said spongy floor has never been walked on by polished up lady wearing stilettos, Spongy floor now has small holes in. Morral of the story, use van only in dress down wear

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Used the van as overnight accommodation as we were allowed to park in car park when we attended a wedding. Good lady gets all the glad rags on( must say she does polish up well!) Then she mounts up via front door. Arrive at said location decides she wants to check her 'make up' in bathroom. Proceeds to get up and walk back in the van. Said spongy floor has never been walked on by polished up lady wearing stilettos, Spongy floor now has small holes in. Morral of the story, use van only in dress down wear

Yikes! Yeah, not exactly the right floor covering for stilettos :oops: You could end up spilling your wine!! :wine:

Apr 29, 2021
South west wales
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 664
Exp
Since 2016
HKF Never say your only a girl. I’ve got a son and daughter.my daughter would jump over my sons head doing diy or maintenance and I think it’s just down to being interested or not

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Fearing ultimate collapse of the localised spongy area I fitted a 1.5mm aluminium plate under one of those bespoke Ducato fitted front cab mats [ after initially liberally applying silicone in beaded strips to the back of the mat before laying, after allowing it to cure for a couple of days], the plate and mat work together well to bridge the spongy area, and add to the sound deadening, + it looks good.
Mike
Don’t be in a hurry to access the vehicle battery as it is under there!

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Underneath the plastic cover is the access to the fuel tank sender mechanism I believe.View attachment 539564
As above re. what's underneath. I also have insulation on top of the supplied rubber mat, then can carpets on top.
So grey rubber stuff on the bottom, white insulation material then the cab carpet rolled back.
IMG_20210922_125741.jpg

Hope that helps.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Don’t be in a hurry to access the vehicle battery as it is under there!

On some models that might be the case, on ours like has already been shown in others, it's the lift pump. The starter battery has a different panel that's located beneath the passengers feet and the lower instrument binnacle.
Mike

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I had a Bessecarr on a X250 chassis when they first came out and that had the proper metal battery cover fitted. My Auto-trail doesn't, I wonder if they remove the metal cover now days to save weight

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
My base vehicle is a mark 2 Renault Master, as per others it covers the hatch where the engine battery lives.
Haven't found the fuel tank senders there though, that's got me wondering.....

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
So, here's what's actually under my 'spongy' floor :) I have no idea what is is, though :D

Attachments

• IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 56
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Here's what's under the spongy bit
HKF Never say your only a girl. I’ve got a son and daughter.my daughter would jump over my sons head doing diy or maintenance and I think it’s just down to being interested or not
I think she was being ironic.😉

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
So, here's what's actually under my 'spongy' floor :) I have no idea what is is, though :D

The problem with this type of cab floor is that the 'sponginess' can cause the oval toggle catches to pop apart so the floor won't fasten down. The catch is a terrible design. It employs a kind of ratchet fitting whereby you have to press top and bottom together to secure it. However, the ratchet fixing only seems to work once, then can just slip off. The best thing to do is to not remove any of the cab floor panels unless you have to. Avoid lifting any more just for curiosity's sake!!

You can buy new catches (I did) but it seems to happen again. I have now gone through three catches.

For me, the cab floor is one of the more annoying features of the Ducato chassis. I would agree that carpets may be an option, but they won't stop the feeling of walking on a mattress topper.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The problem with this type of cab floor is that the 'sponginess' can cause the oval toggle catches to pop apart so the floor won't fasten down. The catch is a terrible design. It employs a kind of ratchet fitting whereby you have to press top and bottom together to secure it. However, the ratchet fixing only seems to work once, then can just slip off. The best thing to do is to not remove any of the cab floor panels unless you have to. Avoid lifting any more just for curiosity's sake!!

You can buy new catches (I did) but it seems to happen again. I have now gone through three catches.

For me, the cab floor is one of the more annoying features of the Ducato chassis. I would agree that carpets may be an option, but they won't stop the feeling of walking on a mattress topper.

Thank you :) I do have a carpet over it but, like you say, it's like walking on a mattress topper :D I promise I won't remove it again!! Thanks for the heads up :)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had a Bessecarr on a X250 chassis when they first came out and that had the proper metal battery cover fitted. My Auto-trail doesn't, I wonder if they remove the metal cover now days to save weight
My 2019 Carthago has the original Fiat metal battery cover. Perhaps the missing ones find their way to a scrap yard near the Auto-Trail factory.:unsure:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect the vast majority of owners have no idea what lies below their floor coverings. The few that do answered your post and the rest either don’t care or are quietly grateful to you for asking a sensible question.

• Love It
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
As others have said it’s an access hatch to the fuel tank senders and possibly an access port to the tank. When Fiat put it there I don’t suppose they thought it would be continually getting stood on. I’ve made a cover for mine which stops the spongy feeling. It’s just cut out of a bit of hard plastic.

Attachments

• 2FC2B85B-F394-428F-9CC0-AF5198756576.jpeg
    2FC2B85B-F394-428F-9CC0-AF5198756576.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 26
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Yup under the black cover that’s screwed down there will be a big white screwed cap with pipes and wires attached……it‘s your fuel lift pump.

Just put it back together until it stops working……oh and be careful in the stilettos 👠 👍🏼

• Informative
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Yup under the black cover that’s screwed down there will be a big white screwed cap with pipes and wires attached……it‘s your fuel lift pump.

Just put it back together until it stops working……oh and be careful in the stilettos 👠 👍🏼

That's great, thank you so much!! :) I'm enjoying learning about my MoHo. Good job I'm not a stilettos kinda gal 🥾🐎🐶

:ta:

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
As others have said it’s an access hatch to the fuel tank senders and possibly an access port to the tank. When Fiat put it there I don’t suppose they thought it would be continually getting stood on. I’ve made a cover for mine which stops the spongy feeling. It’s just cut out of a bit of hard plastic.
Btw it’s not seen under the carpet.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I suspect a small minority of owners have large amounts of cash under their floor coverings. 😂😉
Interestingly, I was looking under the passenger seat a couple of weeks ago. I found €100. Must have been there when we bought the van 5 years ago!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back