What is my Hymer worth? (1 Viewer)

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
It's reinsurance time coming up ....

I have little idea what my 2008 Hymer B655SL diesel 4-berth A-class, just 18000 miles, bought from new is worth --- and none of the 'for sale' ads on the web mention this model.

What's the best way to get a reliable estimate?

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Only one I could see after a quick search was for sale in Holland
Much higher mileage on it than yours though

Hymer B 655 SL 2.1 D 2007​

<Broken link removed>

156,000km / 96,933 miles
46,800 Euro / £39,675

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does it really matter, the insurance should only give market value, unless you do it on an agreed value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No

<Broken link removed>

156,000km / 96,933 miles
46,800 Euro / £39,675
Thanks Jon ... that's helpful. I've just noticed (prompted by your post) that ours is a 3000 cc auto diesel. I wonder what difference that would make?

More generally, the kinds of things (that if I were looking to buy I would notice) that are noticeable come from the vehicle being 13 years old, internal trim wear, an electric/gas
Does it really matter, the insurance should only give market value, unless you do it on an agreed value.
I'd always assumed (since my insurer never has any record of this Hymer in its lists) they use my declaration as the 'market value'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No

Jon B said:

<Broken link removed>

156,000km / 96,933 miles
46,800 Euro / £39,675
Thanks Jon ... that's helpful. I've just noticed (prompted by your post) that ours is a 3000 cc auto diesel. I wonder what difference that would make?

More generally, the kinds of things (that if I were looking to buy I would notice) that are noticeable come from the vehicle being 13 years old, internal trim wear, an electric/gas
Manic said:
I'd always assumed (since my insurer never has any record of this Hymer in its lists) they use my declaration as the 'market value'

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If its just for insurance if you think it's worth 35k put 45k down as the value won't make any odds to the premium if its under 75k.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
That's interesting Lenny -- yes, it's just for insurance (I look at cost of a replacement and decide I'm stuck with the one I have warts 'n' all). What's the 'under £75k' thing about?

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi not sure on the value of your van,but insurance wise the best thing you can do is an agreed value. As a self builder I found out over 20 years ago that insurance only will payout the value of a van plus a couple of grand if you are lucky.
You have to have a agreed value if you want anything more! To get the agreed value all you have to do is send pics of your conversion (in your case van)and the value you want to insure the van for 👍IF the underwriter agrees then that is what you get insured for 👍 They obviously use their judgement so if you have built a shed then good luck but if you have done a nice conversion you really have to get a agreed value to protect your investment in your van 👍 If anything happens (write off) then the insurance has to pay out the agreed value and not what their assessor says. You will have paid your premium based on the agreed value of your van 😉

Upvote 0

Pudsey Bear

Free Member
Jun 28, 2008
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
I wouldn't overvalue it unless it is agreed, they will only pay the market for it but if you overvalue it they will increase the premium perhaps, any chance they get to stitch you up they will

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I wouldn't overvalue it unless it is agreed, they will only pay the market for it but if you overvalue it they will increase the premium perhaps, any chance they get to stitch you up they will
That's the whole point to agreed value😀😉 Once agreed you pay your premium and if anything happens IE accident write off then that is what they have to pay. A word of warning make sure you include any personal belonging / gas bottles etc😉

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back