What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (3 Viewers)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Just put some additional seals on the garage doors to prevent any chance of water getting in!
Copied a Hymer idea ! Seems to work well!
HHS624big.jpg
Kev

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Went to local scrap yard for some bits for the runaround/shed. Missus went for a nose round and found a 2b Ducati. Had both door lock mechanisms and both window regulators with motors for £20. Plus a nice ceramic plant pot that she found in the back of a car. And 61 pence. Off to Exmouth for my birthday last week of May. Can't wait. See you on the road.
man after my own hart love a scrapyard
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Can I get that from b and q please or is it from mh supplier?
Hi there...I actually hit the internet and sourced it from there to be honest. The Cost is a little steep but it seriously does the job well. It works out at 5 meters for £56.
No its a general supplier of seals and sealants...I would have thought it to be cheaper than a MH parts supplier?
https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
Sorry for the delay in responding. My old body is failing terribly!
upload_2019-4-27_19-10-13.jpeg
Kev

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Well during this filthy weather I decided to fit this in the motorhome.

s-l500.jpg

Dead easy to fit and works perfectly.
Happy Days.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Just rebuilt the carver cascade water heater with all the valves and seals replaced, only to break the outer vent cover..... But it all works ok I'll have to make a cover as they are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Nothing too exciting today. Lower ball joint on our 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne 696g SE - Ducato 2.8. I was pleased that I managed to do it without the drive shaft popping out and shedding oil all over the gaff.

Then, I got the measure of my rear lights. Intermittent drivers side brake light and indicator. As I predicted. It took me a few hours of checking terminals and wiring for bared or damaged lines. Couldn’t find a thing until I checked a 6 pin plug connector with my £6 electrical tester and voila, corroded connectors were the culprits.

Unless you’ve done this, you’ve no ideas how much joy a full set of working lights brings! I just had to tell someone!

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
finally finished replacing all the soft furnishing panels, feeling dead chuffed with my skills only to find i had forgotten the one right at the front in the overcab :(

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Paul. 3M tape on the back of the seal run . Pop it into the channel and firm in place . Apply a small run of 1/8 x 5/8 or 3mm x 16mm flat seal to the underside of the hinges. Stops any water getting in at all! Tested with my pressure wash ( Not directly but enough) to give a decent down pour. All was spot on.
Im guessing that time will tell of course.
Kev

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Paul. 3M tape on the back of the seal run . Pop it into the channel and firm in place . Apply a small run of 1/8 x 5/8 or 3mm x 16mm flat seal to the underside of the hinges. Stops any water getting in at all! Tested with my pressure wash ( Not directly but enough) to give a decent down pour. All was spot on.
Im guessing that time will tell of course.
Kev
Is it poss to have photo of how you did it please

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys..Will post photo later if thats ok? Just got to get a couple of jobs done here at home? Missus has told me!
Baza...the rear door is made up in two sections and pop riveted together. The seal actually sits inside that join with the leading edge of the new seal being towards the outside of the truck when in place. Basically the tube section allows it to roll when the door is closed and the leading lip on that tube section closes up the gap to the weather conditions hopefully?
Where the upper hinges fit on ours 634 they are not water tight. So a piece of flat seal as described 3 x 16mm is sandwiched at the hinges themselves when shut . Should stop the water running in through these points and collecting inside the channel?

Kev

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
After putting it off and putting it off, I am going to have to fix my awning ..

Any tips please.

The metal work is fine .. it's the cloth.

Over five years ago a mini tornado ripped through a brilliant sunny afternoon rally .. and lifted my awning .. Terry and young Jake hung onto it for dear life but it still went up and the material tore at one end.

I havn't used it since and when I looked at it over 12months ago it had gone rotten where the tear is. I am thinking, if I cut along the awning (hence making it about 6inches shorter .. but that isn't an issue .. ) , can I take the damaged length out of the metal grip and insert the now-clean-cut length of awning back into the metal bar ? Any tips?

...or am I grasping at straws? Hope I have described this properly.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

Any tips please.

Over five years ago a mini tornado ripped through a brilliant sunny afternoon rally .. and lifted my awning .. Terry and young Jake hung onto it for dear life but it still went up and the material tore at one end.

I havn't used it since and when I looked at it over 12months ago it had gone rotten where the tear is. I am thinking, if I cut along the awning (hence making it about 6inches shorter .. but that isn't an issue .. ) , can I take the damaged length out of the metal grip and insert the now-clean-cut length of awning back into the metal bar ? Any tips?

Why don't we have a look at the weekend Joy, someone may be able to help you.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
:eek: & I thought the bloke asking £2/m for cab door seal was taking the mick.:LOL:

I know tell me!
Trouble is...the one on eBay is just not supple enough to roll when the door shuts.
Now ...whether that is worth the extra 8 quid or not...I can only hope? Time will tell. I suppose a couple of 5 meter lengths might last longer? Who knows?

Hey oh....we will see.

Kev

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why don't we have a look at the weekend Joy, someone may be able to help you.
It might help you to know that the fabric is slid into a groove just like a caravan awning rail. The end of the fabric is rolled around a piece of cord then stitched (or heat welded - can't remember). You need to do the same after cutting off the ripped part. I did the job on my roll-out 2 vans ago and a friend used an industrial sewing machine to stitch it. I know he won't be doing another one :D2. Although the repair is simple in concept actually doing it is pretty difficult with heavy fabric that doesn't want to bend. An alternative in hindsight would be to have a piece of keder strip sewn to it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It might help you to know that the fabric is slid into a groove just like a caravan awning rail. The end of the fabric is rolled around a piece of cord then stitched (or heat welded - can't remember). You need to do the same after cutting off the ripped part. I did the job on my roll-out 2 vans ago and a friend used an industrial sewing machine to stitch it. I know he won't be doing another one :D2. Although the repair is simple in concept actually doing it is pretty difficult with heavy fabric that doesn't want to bend. An alternative in hindsight would be to have a piece of keder strip sewn to it.

Thank you .. that very helpful. I will ask some of the crafters I am seeing this week for their advice. (y)

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Dometic fridge facia
Bloody thing keeps coming off.....
It's enough to drive you to gin and back....

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

Any tips please.

i could have had a look at Chester joy :(
bill

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
were the seals self adhesive or did you use a special glue?

Is it poss to have photo of how you did it please

Pictures attached guys showing the seal run in place. Works really well too! Being honest...when the door is shut the seal rolls over and can prevent the door shutting! Answer.....Nivea or My missus Emu face cream!!
Trust me ...it does the job both for her wonderful face bless her :* and the important bit....the seal! :dance2:
20190430_132802.jpg
20190430_132807.jpg
20190430_132835.jpg
20190430_132843.jpg
Regards Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries