What does this mean. DANGER CHENILLES URTICANTES (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've seen it in trees around me. I tried translate but it doesn't come up with anything. I presume it processionary caterpilllars but might be wrong.

Sep 18, 2017
N. Lincs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, “une chenille” is a caterpillar. Urticante translates as “stinging”. Doesn’t sound good does it!

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, “une chenille” is a caterpillar. Urticante translates as “stinging”. Doesn’t sound good does it!
No it doesn't sound good, we'll keep away from them then! Thankfully none in the Aire that we are in.
Thanks for the reply. We are near Nancy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Nasty little buggers, KEEP AWAY is a close translation.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I thought it was about processionary caterpilllars but ive been told it's stinging caterpillars.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I thought it was about processionary caterpilllars but ive been told it's stinging caterpillars.

It doesn't really matter which type as long as you are aware to stay away from them. :) I always thought "urticante" was a medical term for severe irritation of the skin. So I'd do a very rough translation as Danger, Stay Away there are bugs that will cause intense skin irritation if you come into contact with them. lol

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
And ESPECIALLY keep your pets away from them - have been known to be fatal unless treated IMMEDIATELY!

Stinging caterpillars, processional caterpillars, doesn't matter, both the same.

EDIT: I believe the French authorities ask you to report them if seen - obviously the notice is due to someone doing just that.

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Urticantes seems to be a foreign word for urticaria. As processionary caterpillars sting with their hairy bits I am guessing that this warning refers to them.

As others have said, keep yourselves, your pets and possibly even your children well away from the little b******.

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
They’ve turned up in Cardiff too Welsh Girl. Are you on Facebook? Article @phytogeek

There were warnings in St Remy de Provence which we’ve just left. Nasty things.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Urticant(e) = which causes itching. Chenilles urticantes are processionary caterpillars, which are dangerous because their hairs cause bad itching, not because they go around in single file... and you don't have to touch them (why would you want to?) to be affected - the hairs float around in the air.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Usually nest in evergreen trees, look up and if you see something that looks like spheres of spun cotton, move away quickly.
Horrible for humans and as mentioned, can be fatal to dogs.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Usually nest in evergreen trees, look up and if you see something that looks like spheres of spun cotton, move away quickly.
Horrible for humans and as mentioned, can be fatal to dogs.
There are two types the pine processionary and the Oak processionary which I believe is in the Uk.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Urticant(e) = which causes itching. Chenilles urticantes are processionary caterpillars, which are dangerous because their hairs cause bad itching, not because they go around in single file... and you don't have to touch them (why would you want to?) to be affected - the hairs float around in the air.

DITTO !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back