What do you use to charge your batteries on hook up? (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I've not really looked into this as much as I have researched solar and battery to battery chargers. I may be interested in fitting one "just in case". I don't plan to use many sites or hook up but would be nice to have if, for some reason, I'm unable to charge via solar or B2B or find myself on a site with hook up or using sites more than I thought I would.

From what I understand you want something called an intelligent multistage charger? Are these different to trickle chargers?

What do you guys use or what do you recommend a good value one for occasional use?

Cheers! ⚡

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You need an 'intelligent' mains charger for EHU. These are much more than a triple charger. You'll need one that respects the chemistry of the habitation battery bank you intend to use (Wet/AGM/Gel/Lion). Get one with capacity to charge at least the size of battery back you intend to install.
You are right to consider adding a mains charger. It's a much cheaper source of power than B2B and more reliable and effective than solar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Hook up does charge the batteries.

Hi glenn2926.

In a self build I will need to put something in between where you plug in the power lead from the camp site hook up into my van and my batteries. Something like this, I think? But I'm not sure.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
You need an 'intelligent' mains charger for EHU. These are much more than a triple charger. You'll need one that respects the chemistry of the habitation battery bank you intend to use (Wet/AGM/Gel/Lion). Get one with capacity to charge at least the size of battery back you intend to install.
You are right to consider adding a mains charger. It's a much cheaper source of power than B2B and more reliable and effective than solar.

Thanks for the reply, two.

So I need an intelligent mains charger for EHU. Okay.

In regards to matching it to the batteries I have, I will be using 2x 110ah hankook batteries, for a total of 220ah. It says they are sealed calcium. (Here: https://tinyurl.com/Hankook110ahCal)

Trickle charge and fast charge in one.

Ebay "caravan charger".

Thanks, Hilldweller. I have to admit that the choice is a little boggling when you don't know a lot about them. Do you have one or do you have any particular brand recommendations?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Most motorhomes are fitted with a unit that charges both engine and habitation batteries, with different charging regimes depending upon the type of battery and also acts as a 12v distribution system with several circuits and fuses for the many 12v items that are fitted to modern motorhomes. It can also work with separate or integrated B2B and solar chargers so all work together. Most common makers of these are Sargeant (mainly UK motorhomes only), Schaudt and CBE. Suggest you have a look at their websites to see what they offer. They are not cheap.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi glenn2926.

In a self build I will need to put something in between where you plug in the power lead from the camp site hook up into my van and my batteries. Something like this, I think? But I'm not sure.

Ahh, sorry didn’t realise it’s a self build. I’m sure there will be lots of people here to help.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Camperjack

AB2B charger only works from the alternator not the EHU.

If you want to know more about then Sterling's website does a good explanation as to how they work to put maximum charge into leisure batteries.

Geoff

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought this from Photonic Universe. Main reason was because I'd just changed to a gel battery and it has a gel setting. What type of battery are you fitting?
Screenshot_20200511-171217_Opera.jpg

PS there's 10% off if you are in the C&CC club ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Camperjack

AB2B charger only works from the alternator not the EHU.

If you want to know more about then Sterling's website does a good explanation as to how they work to put maximum charge into leisure batteries.

Geoff

Hi Geoff.

I realise that that a B2B works via the engine when driving. That's why I want both a B2B and a hook up device as well. I'll be sure to check out Sterling's website. :giggle:

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
What type of battery are you fitting?

I'll be getting two 110ah sealed calcium batteries for a total of 220ah. (Here: https://tinyurl.com/Hankook110ahCal)

I did think about perhaps increasing to three batteries if I felt the need at a later date.

If one of these EHU chargers says it charges under the 330ah that would make my battery bank would that just slow down the charging? Or could it be potentially harmful in some way?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'll be getting two 110ah sealed calcium batteries for a total of 220ah. (Here: https://tinyurl.com/Hankook110ahCal)

I did think about perhaps increasing to three batteries if I felt the need at a later date.

If one of these EHU chargers says it charges under the 330ah that would make my battery bank would that just slow down the charging? Or could it be potentially harmful in some way?
No it will just charge slower, you'd probably want the bigger one though for 3 batteries.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
A quick look and if I had to buy today this would do.

20A means that a 100Ah battery is going to take 4 hours or so to recharge.

I bought a big solar panel kit of these guys and was very pleased with the service.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=122314362986

Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to have a look for me. This looks ideal! I'll probably get one of these. Pleasantly surprised at the price too.

The range of upto 400 ah will allow me to add that third battery in the future, should I ever think I need it.

Jack.

:giggle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian,
Thank you for taking the time to have a look for me.
Jack.
:giggle:

It was touch and go, I rescheduled two meetings and told BBC news I wasn't doing interviews today.

I love easy questions.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Have you ever thought of a inverter charger? This could be a very nice integration with auto switch over and UPS function, fully programmable charger and inverter, just a idea.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Have you ever thought of a inverter charger? This could be a very nice integration with auto switch over and UPS function, fully programmable charger and inverter, just a idea.

I vaguely remember I read about those or watched a video or something a few months back. I think the guy made the point that if that one unit that does break you'll be knackered. I think I agree. Although the auto-switchover and convenience of one unit does appeal.

It's interesting because there are so may ways to do things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It was touch and go, I rescheduled two meetings and told BBC news I wasn't doing interviews today.

I love easy questions.

I hope the Beeb were not too disappointed :giggler: ! It's appreciated anyway.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fitted a 1000w inverter for Ann's '40w' ? hair straighteners and it has a charger function, great to have as a back up ?? it's not a multi stage charger, it's really a 13.8v power supply. But as I say, great to have as a back up.

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
I have Victron multiplus, which is an inverter and charger all in one.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi
in our self build when on site for longer than a month we simply use a stand alone battery charger(Lidl’s £10) when the need arises, usually only if the sun don’t shine. usually leave plugged in overnight Or until fully charged light comes on.
Connected to the engine battery it charges our leisure ones as well via the split charger. We've used this process for the last 4 years with no problem.

except for winter the solar is usually enough to keep all bats topped up. We don’t have a tv & use iPads charged via usb for entertainment etc. All lights are led.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back