What data only pay as you go sim do you recommend for my ipad (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
Going away for a week shortly and would rather not rely on wi fi for our ipad browsing and emails, probably use 1hr max per day for browsing, Thinking 1GB would be sufficient? Any recommendations?

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
See if Smarty can help.

I have a 3gb monthly plan fir my phone 8£ a month. Pay £5 for the phone line and £3 for the internet. I get any unused internet refunded each month.
And can add an extra 1GB for £1 at anytime if i need too.

They seem very flexible, i don’t know how they work with an ipad, but worth a look

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Going away for a week shortly and would rather not rely on wi fi for our ipad browsing and emails, probably use 1hr max per day for browsing, Thinking 1GB would be sufficient? Any recommendations?
It might be worth checking the signal at your destination for an idea of what network to use ... Take the official sites from the mobile phone companies with a pinch of salt but they are a reasonable indicator.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This may be worth considering?

It is 24GB for £45 which is less than £2 per GB. It has a 24 month expiry period from first activation. So if you use 1GB a month you have 2 years worth of data for less than £2 per month.

If you buy any other sim they all expire a month after activation.

Just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
Just wanted it for one week really as not doing much touring this year so a month use would be fine. Only have pay as you go phones and don’t use them for internet access. Thanks all.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Just wanted it for one week really as not doing much touring this year so a month use would be fine. Only have pay as you go phones and don’t use them for internet access. Thanks all.
Vodafone's £10 big value bundle. 6gb. Pay as you go. Get one month then cancel?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Smarty for me, no contract cancel when you like, all done on your computer, group plan me the wife and the mifi 30gig each £27 a month, come the winter I may cancel the mifi till next spring. Got an app coming out to make it even easier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you had a look to see if your PAYG provider has an 'add on' as this may work out cheaper for such a short period of time.

OP
OP
J
Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
Thanks a lot folks some good suggestions will look into them.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
ID mobile have recently joined the fray (basically 3 same as Smarty) sim only 1 month 8gb £8
I have just ordered the unlimited 30 day rolling plan (£20) to see if it is compatible with my home network, currently on Smarty if it's ok I will switch to the 12month contract £16 a month unlimited plus no restrictions on roaming as long as you are not using more data abroad than you are using at home.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Why not just hotspot it from your mobile phone? Much cheaper and can be used here and in Europe.
That’s the best advise your going to get.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This stonking deals looks to still be available, £2 pcm (you need to claim cashback, easy to do) 1 year contract and 8gb of data, free texts & calls, works out at £24 a year and gives you more than any other deal for the price - link still appears to work.

1618093971035.png

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Again, it depends on where you are going and what the signal is like there. The best deals at will be no good if the signal isn't sufficient where you'll be.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I am not too sure just what you intend to do with the new sim. Does the ipad have facility for a sim? I know my Wife's does not.

Geoff

Feb 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Burford
Exp
I have a £10 per month GiffGaff sim only on my phone and it supports my iPad too

Stay safe everyone I’m taxing from the 1st May then I’m off 😀

Suekim

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No
This stonking deals looks to still be available, £2 pcm (you need to claim cashback, easy to do) 1 year contract and 8gb of data, free texts & calls, works out at £24 a year and gives you more than any other deal for the price - link still appears to work.

View attachment 483507
How does the cash back work, do you get it at the end of the contract or is it taken off each month

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
How about a Three dongle and a sim card to go in it, called, Internet with legs. It also works all over Europe,
We have used one for years always have Internet anywhere. Put, internet with legs, into safari or google and away you go.

OP
OP
J
Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
Many helpful suggestions thank you all. We are an unusual couple who do not use smartphone much top up £10 when needed but not often as rarely used. We take our iPad away and like to exchange the SIM card in it for pay as you go card. Some years ago did 3 months to Spain and worked well when not able to get wi fi. Planning 1 week trip Lincolnshire and thought a monthly pay as you go low data as only use for email and occasional browsing would suit but from your replies thinking maybe we need to consider a longer lasting pay as you go seems they could be better value and there is always the chance we may go away in sept. Thank you everyone.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
We have SMARTY 30gb data, all calls, all texts for only £10.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If it’s just for holidays I would beef up my mob phone data-if needed-and tether iPad off that.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
OK so your looking for a sim to actually fit in your Ipad.

In that case you may wish to consider going down the route I chose. That is a pay monthly sim from Tesco Mobile which uses the o2 network. I have 10GB for £8, but by paying with Clubcard points it only costs £4 per month.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How does the cash back work, do you get it at the end of the contract or is it taken off each month
Each month you get your bill from Three directly as you would normally with a contract sim, then you submit the ones that are required for the cashback to Fonehouse (every couple of months I think, can't remember off top of my head) but there's no rush as you have 60 days in which to do so, it's very easy taking all of 1 minute! We've done it for years and it works a treat and can save you a LOT of money, eg our current Vodafone sims cost £20 pcm normally (100gb data etc), but after cashback they are only £8 pcm. It also means that you don't have to keep topping up your PAYG sim and paying over the odds for data as it's always more expensive to do it that way.

Many helpful suggestions thank you all. We are an unusual couple who do not use smartphone much top up £10 when needed but not often as rarely used. We take our iPad away and like to exchange the SIM card in it for pay as you go card. Some years ago did 3 months to Spain and worked well when not able to get wi fi. Planning 1 week trip Lincolnshire and thought a monthly pay as you go low data as only use for email and occasional browsing would suit but from your replies thinking maybe we need to consider a longer lasting pay as you go seems they could be better value and there is always the chance we may go away in sept. Thank you everyone.
Have a look at the one I linked to above it's an absolute stonkingly good deal at the equivalent of £24 for a year for 8gb data and unlimited texts & calls pcm (there are others too if you want more data) so you could use this instead of one of your existing phone sims thus no need then to have one specially for when you go away. Note that the month figures given on the Fonehouse site are before the cashback discount has been applied to you need to deduct that and then divide by the contract term to get the true monthly figure which is a lot less.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There appear to be quite large areas of Lincolnshire without 3 coverage.

Dec 2, 2020
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Camper vans for 20 years until 2020 when we bought our first motorhome
A while ago I went over to Sky (who use O2's masts). The reason was that when away we tend to use a lot of data, but when at home, none at all. Previously, with Vodafone, this meant having a 20Gb pm deal and wasting most of it. Now, I have an 8Gb pm sim only deal with Sky (£10.00pm), but because Sky allow you to roll over the data for 3 years there is always plenty of data available. In fact, because of lockdown, I have accrued over 100Gb of data that I can carry over, but in normal times I would still have a surplus.

And there is an unexpected bonus as well. They are actually a really good company to deal with. My experience is that you get through quickly on the phone and the help is excellent. I was even given some recommendations for some good restaurants and campsites in Galicia when we visit (hopefully) in the Autumn, by a lovely Spanish call centre guy (based in Scotland). No idea how we got round to that when I phoned about activating a sim, but every person at SkyMobile and Sky TV I have talked to over the last few years have been friendly and helpful. If you've ever phoned BT or Vodafone, you'll know how refreshing that is. BTW, I don't work for Sky. (Or anyone!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back