What birds do you get in your garden (1 Viewer)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Buzzards
Goosander
Canada Geese
Heron
Kingfisher
Owls
Woodpecker
assortment of tits
Wagtails
Robins
Crows
Mallards
Magpies
Dippers
Wood Pigeons
Doves
Finch
Thrush
and several I haven’t got a clue about

plus a field full of twitchers a couple of years ago cos apparently a very rare bird stopped for a couple of days en route to somewhere exotic, I think they said a Siberian something or other, can’t remember now.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Buzzards
Goosander
Canada Geese
Heron
Kingfisher
Owls
Woodpecker
assortment of tits
Wagtails
Robins
Crows
Mallards
Magpies
Dippers
Wood Pigeons
Doves
Finch
Thrush
and several I haven’t got a clue about

plus a field full of twitchers a couple of years ago cos apparently a very rare bird stopped for a couple of days en route to somewhere exotic, I think they said a Siberian something or other, can’t remember now.
All in your back garden, Wow!

(I thought, after you had said Kestral, Sparrow Hawk and Buzzard, you were going to say, Nothing!) :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
All in your back garden, Wow!

(I thought, after you had said Kestral, Sparrow Hawk and Buzzard, you were going to say, Nothing!) :LOL:
Erm, back garden;)

26221A3C-3C03-4336-987E-1418C6357148.jpeg

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Caught this when I came into the room with a nice cup of tea and happened to have my phone in my pocket, this cheeky sparrow does this most days and as you can see, Pepsi is intrigued.

Hazel we have a robin that sits on the back door handle and pecks on the glass and a blue tit that sits on the kitchen window sill looking in if we haven’t put the bird food out.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Talking of cheeky birds. When I used to be working on my yacht in the winter, as soon and I opened my sandwich box, a robin would fly in and perch on the edge of my chart table. Even land on my back whilst I was grovelling over the engine once.

As for what ones I get in the garden. Only feathered ones.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The above pics are of a Nuthatch which is a rather beautiful small and wary bird who frequents our garden annually. About the size of a Greenfinch.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when we finally move to Harwich from outer London our feathered friends will be less exotic as we have flocks of parakeets round here ,although we have seen a pair of great woodpeckers in harwich which id never seen before

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You won’t miss the Parakeets, noisy little sods, although they’ll probably catch up with you one day such as their expansion .😬

Yep! They started in the UK near where I use to live near Esher in Surrey.

The story goes that some escaped when they were filming 'The African Queen' at Shepperton Studios and they have just increased and now there are thousands around Surrey and other places?

Little buggers used to strip my Cherry trees every year! :mad:

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Pleased to report that we have long tailed tits visiting our feeder, Robert saw them first, then I was lucky enough to see a mob of them.
Such beautiful birds.
We get them too Hazel not all the time but they come every so often.
I agree they are beautiful and ours come in a mob as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You won’t miss the Parakeets, noisy little sods, although they’ll probably catch up with you one day such as their expansion .😬
They are up as far as Birmingham as I saw/heard a load last time we were at Jens mums house in Sutton Coldfield.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
70 odd years ago, when I was a child on my Fathers farm, he used to say that if the Rooks nested high in the trees, we were in for a good year/winter.
If they nested lower, be prepared for harsher conditions.

It nice to read that you appreciate your surrounding. Sadly, many do not in todays world!

noticed the rookeries around here by the boatyard are high in the tall trees, hopefully the predictions for the year are correct after such a wet and windy lead up so far..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Currently, within the front grass area: 2 m & 1 f greenfinch, 3 m & 3 f chaffinch, a couple of dozen goldfinch, 2 m reed bunting, 2 skylark, 1 f and 3 m rock dove, a m blackbird and a pair of hooded crow. In the last few days also the occasional appearance of a pair of wheatear (not together though), a pair of siskin, and a pair of linnet.
We're all keeping our fingers crossed for the pair of lapwing that may/ may not have decided to settle on the croft. It might be better if they decide to go over the hill as the 3 pairs that stayed last year had their nests flooded or predated and the 3 hatchlings never made it to anywhere near adulthood.
There are 2 greylag geese doing a daily fly-over.
The sparrows have taken a liking to the new shed.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have seen Red Kite numbers increase dramatically over the past few years down here in Camberley,Surrey, they first appeared over our allotments area, now they soar everywhere. Such large wingspans, they glide so easily at great speed up & down. But the strange thing is I have never seen one land or rousting in a tree?
I wonder why, apart from swooping down on their prey, they must land for a break somewhere, but I have not spotted them in any large trees.
LES

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back