What birds do you get in your garden (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We have seen Red Kite numbers increase dramatically over the past few years down here in Camberley, they first appeared over our allotments area, now they fly everywhere. Such large wingspans, they glide so easily at great speed up & down. But the strange thing is I have never seen one land or rousting in a tree?
I wonder why.
LES
.We have loads of red kites and as we live at the top of the hill we can see them soaring below us. Our little granddaughter was amazed watching them at the weekend she said they were beautiful.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Enjoying looking out this morning: all the usual finches & other garden birds that we have in varying numbers all year round, plus:
  • snippets from the twite/ linnet/ redpoll mixed flock that comes every year
  • a pair of first-year collared doves - very unusual hereabouts - though there was one confirmed last year
  • and really chuffed to see the male hen harrier just over the wall, and as he went across the bottom croft field two lapwings rose in defence of their scrape, I thought I saw him go to ground but there's been no further lapwing activity
  • AND as I have the binocs out - I've just seen a gannet hit the water just offshore on the loch
Woo-hoo! a good birding day so far, even though it's too cold to go outside

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Saw this unusual flock this morning then I couldn’t find the bloody dog.

534DCBFF-3414-4AA7-88E7-D60BEFEFEC91.jpeg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Mrs Wheatear (who's been hanging around for a while) came across to the house side of the drive today. They tend to nest in the wall just across.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
A male pied wagtail has joined the feeder flock
A definite "pair" of great tit
5 greylag geese are overnighting nearer and nearer to this edge of the croft
And the cuckoo that's been spotted over the last week or so has started calling occasionally

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Id like a lot more Tits in ours .
Wife says im the only tit in the garden.

We do get blue tits, robins, thrush, black birds, pigeons, sparrows. Only a small garden.

Reactions: CWH
Jun 19, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 600 DT
Exp
We get many different birds over the course of the year with some surprising winter visitors including Brambling,Siskin,Redpolls. But generally normal garden birds and some less common ones Treecreeper,Nuthatch,Mistle Thrush, Whitethroats.
I did install camera boxes a few years back which opened our eyes to how tough nature can be. At present we have 2 female Mallards in one duck box, 1 Great Tit , 2 Blue Tits and a Stock Dove fingers crossed they manage to fledge.

8D5C5162-57C0-4933-95A2-ED14B6A7E036.png 0CA3F79F-0203-42E1-9405-E59A1D38A9E2.png

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The male cuckoo who's been hanging around made a definite visit to the garden this morning, just a few yards from my bedroom window. I hope he doesn't decide that's where he will stay once he switches on his 24/7 cuckooing :Eeek:

May 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanna
Exp
I’m a newbie
We had a rather unlucky visitor in our garden the other day! Just about to have dinner when I saw two birds fall to the ground,looked out the window to see a starling attacking a swift they share nesting space under the eaves it must of turned up too early and the starlings got the hump. By the time I got out there to sort it out a sparrow hawk had the poor little bugger in its talons which the flew into the puppy proof gate I’d put into the garden,I side stepped the hawk which then dropped the Swift and flew off. On inspecting the bird found it was bleeding so put it on top of a shed by the house to recover. Just sit down for dinner when the starlings have another go at him forcing it to the ground again.

Finished my dinner thought better see if it’s still alive to find next door’s cat trying to get to it through the fence around our back door. I rescued it and get a punctured finger from the bird, ungrateful sod ,he squeezed through the fence and took off from the ground which I didn’t think they could do and was last seen being chased over my house by the bloody starlings.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We had a rather unlucky visitor in our garden the other day! Just about to have dinner when I saw two birds fall to the ground,looked out the window to see a starling attacking a swift they share nesting space under the eaves it must of turned up too early and the starlings got the hump. By the time I got out there to sort it out a sparrow hawk had the poor little bugger in its talons which the flew into the puppy proof gate I’d put into the garden,I side stepped the hawk which then dropped the Swift and flew off. On inspecting the bird found it was bleeding so put it on top of a shed by the house to recover. Just sit down for dinner when the starlings have another go at him forcing it to the ground again.

Finished my dinner thought better see if it’s still alive to find next door’s cat trying to get to it through the fence around our back door. I rescued it and get a punctured finger from the bird, ungrateful sod ,he squeezed through the fence and took off from the ground which I didn’t think they could do and was last seen being chased over my house by the bloody starlings.
Wow that all sounds a bit over-exciting!!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What a beauty I would assume female as it does not have any Rufus hue to it👍🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun