What a plonker! (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Stayed on a Cc&c club site whilst up in Scotland!Couldnt get electric to work and as both fridge and heating will only work on electric it was a problem!checked the RDC and all the fuses!No sign of life!Decided it was probably my lead so stripped both ends off cut about a foot off each
End and reconnected the ends.Still nothing.There was a socket each side of the post and my neighbour said they had electric so went to reception to ask if they could check the socket.Young lady came out with her test kit and said you Havnt switched it on!! After you have plugged in there is a plastic lever that you need to push to switch on.Felt a right idiot but hav’nt seen a post like it.On the way home stayed at a site where you plug in then turn slightly to engage.Pressing the red button then release’s it pull out.You would think after 40 years with campers/Motorhome I would know by now!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Despite the blue connectors supposed to be standard there are still a number with a different twist. A couple of days ago I was struggling to pry open the protective cap on an outlet - the one next to it was already open -to eventually discover it was a screw fit!

It's not just you! ::bigsmile:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Been there, done that, Got the "T" shirt. Take heart, your not on your own. (y) And I`ve been at this for over 50 years.!

On the real serious side. I had a Plug weld itself into the socket at Rowntree Park!. Badly put together comercial lead was that one!. I tend to make up my own now.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Stayed on a Cc&c club site whilst up in Scotland!Couldnt get electric to work and as both fridge and heating will only work on electric it was a problem!checked the RDC and all the fuses!No sign of life!Decided it was probably my lead so stripped both ends off cut about a foot off each
End and reconnected the ends.Still nothing.There was a socket each side of the post and my neighbour said they had electric so went to reception to ask if they could check the socket.Young lady came out with her test kit and said you Havnt switched it on!! After you have plugged in there is a plastic lever that you need to push to switch on.Felt a right idiot but hav’nt seen a post like it.On the way home stayed at a site where you plug in then turn slightly to engage.Pressing the red button then release’s it pull out.You would think after 40 years with campers/Motorhome I would know by now!!
Your not a “plonker” lol
They should have explained the bollard connection when you checked in 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
This makes feel good, my better half would tell me on many occasions that I don't know what I am doing when something does not work, that's only after 18 months MHomeing. Ha...... perhaps she is right. Sorry had to laugh. Winging it towards the dream SMUDGER55

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Yep there are a few sites fitted with Martin Lunel switched sockets. The big give away is the red release button.

First came across them in the 70s. That's 1970s installing them, 3ph for welding plants.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The only time we came across different hook up plugs were in Luxembourg and France.In France it was a normal two pin domestic plug. In Luxembourg they gave an adapter lead. All the others were just the normal blue plug. I will have to be more vigilant in future.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Never come across that!
You live and learn don’t you?!

But will I remember????!

Coddywompler

Free Member
Dec 1, 2013
South West
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had pushed our connector into the van the last couple of times and got a pretty spark. I thought “I must look at that sometime”.

The cable gave up on us during a horrendous rain storm and tripped the switch of connected posts.

I’m a dangerous idiot. 😱

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I had pushed our connector into the van the last couple of times and got a pretty spark. I thought “I must look at that sometime”.

The cable gave up on us during a horrendous rain storm and tripped the switch of connected posts.

I’m a dangerous idiot. 😱
That happened to me, only the small spark arch welded itself to the terminal on the van. Didn't know until it was time to leave and no amount of swearing, cursing, pulling, turning or shaking was going to free it.

Drove home with a hole in the side of the motorhome and had to replace the connector socket and rewire inside.

Rule now is to plug in the motorhome end first, before connecting to any lecky supply, so it doesn't happen again.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Rule now is to plug in the motorhome end first, before connecting to any lecky supply, so it doesn't happen again.
i am glad you do this now . It’s amazing the amount of “ experienced“ motorhomers and caravaners who will happily plug into the bollard first and wander around with a live electrical cable.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yep there are a few sites fitted with Martin Lunel switched sockets. The big give away is the red release button.

First came across them in the 70s. That's 1970s installing them, 3ph for welding plants.
Often seen on "Shoreside" Refrigerator connections for Trucks too. They started to be fitted on Ro-Ro Freight Vessels around the time I "Swallowed the Anchor". Single and 3phase.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wack. Couple of ery important messages on this thread re 'learning curve' on your electric hook up. :)

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Did the same thing at a C&MC site didn’t listen to the warden felt a bit silly when she said did you trust the plug!
Yes not a good idea to plug into the bollard first and walk through potentially wet grass in the rain with a live cable in your hand.
Also seen a similar thing in the boating world. Never plug into shore power before plugging in to the boat first.
If the Ballard has a working rcd you should be safe enough

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
i am glad you do this now . It’s amazing the amount of “ experienced“ motorhomers and caravaners who will happily plug into the bollard first and wander around with a live electrical cable.
And disconnect the bollard first when leaving, so I've been told! 😊

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Come on Guy,s ...... Assumstion is the mother of all F........ and with electric it will kill you.
Test the post first.... small short lead with socket tester, will tell you.... if all the terminals are connected inc. the earth, and with more and more sophisticated vans that the polarity is correct.
Just £15 and you know its safe, and working correctly.
BEFORE you plug in your MH !!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That happened to me, only the small spark arch welded itself to the terminal on the van. Didn't know until it was time to leave and no amount of swearing, cursing, pulling, turning or shaking was going to free it.

Drove home with a hole in the side of the motorhome and had to replace the connector socket and rewire inside.

You now weld it to the site bollard. :doh:

Nov 7, 2016
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
1 year
I had the same problem 2 hours ago. The guy on the next pitch sorted it. First time on a CC&C site.

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
You’ve helped a lot of folk out there including me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back