Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Did you do Mettet ? my mates young lad did it I believe he was just old enuff to do it the weekend of the race I havnt spoken to him about it yet but see pics on FB.
Yes , for the 16th time, managed 7th in the Seniors class, got beat by a former World Champ, a multi-time Swiss Champ, Former British Champ and a couple of fast locals. Great event. Its like the TT, once you go , not going is not an option.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Is there a race like it in le touquet France ?

Yes. It was in February last time we visited.

I have been a spectator at both and the French do it much much better.

Closed the town down, Free racing, free parking on the airport and free bus into town. All the roads were in during the morning and out in the afternoon. We viewed the race from the sea wall so was about 15ft above the action. Could see everything on the start and race along the sand and the track return to the start was just in front of us.

When we left it took 20 minutes to get off the airport and on to open and clear roads to our hotel. They reckoned 200,000+ plus spectators for the weekend.

In the UK, it took me 6 hours just to get to Bristol to drop the kids off. We had to pay to watch the race and you don't see much at ground level.

I would go back to Le Touquet but not Weston.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Marshalls there are insane, they get as much of a buzz as the riders, and to be fair, they have guys on quads with radios, to make calls like that , normally you would get a vehicle with lights out there on the straight guarding the medics and loads officials on quads/ in 4WD stuff keeping folk out of the way.

You wouldnt stop it for that .
You wouldn't need to if, as you say, you have the means of guarding the fallen rider. It just seemed to me that the race continued for some considerable time with no effort being made to help the rider or prevent the incident becoming more serious. I love events like that for many of the reasons I love the TT but the fun can be brought to an abrupt and permanent end if an accident involves spectators and particularly if a non-participant is fatally injured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Red Bull Knockout is next weekend in Den Haag.. thats usually live on Red Bull TV.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Beach races are insane I have only ever raced Weymouth my Nephew raced it for his first time on Sunday reckons its hardest thing he has ever done. And that is only 2X20 minute races bloody big poofta lol mind he reckons he cant remember coming back to the van after going in the local strip club saturday night bless him.
many years ago we used to go to weston to watch was a great weekend. Then 1 year I spun spanners for someone that only made it half way up the start straight and his bike went pop so that was easy days work.(I didnt prep bike btw)

For many years my pals and I would visit Le touguet that was an amazing spectacle think its changed these days as the course isnt so big as they cant use the dunes anymore. If your into bikes its worth going think the entry is about a 1000 bikes they all ride through the town in proccesion to the start and actualy start behind a gate. With helicopters chasing them down the long straight its a great site to see. Also thousands of bikes roll into town to watch and the french learn how to wheelie at school so its entertaining to say the least.

At end of day racing is dangerous watching has its risks also but heck its bloody great fun

To be fair to your nephew, we had no rain and that Weymouth sand was like talcum powder this year. Ideally a good downpour in the week before makes for perfect conditions. My daughter has raced it a few times and really enjoys it...her problem is the dead engine start ...short legs. This year she was on the finish flag with her dad. They brought back most of the beach in their hair, ears, noses and every bloody pocket. :D2

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
To be fair to your nephew, we had no rain and that Weymouth sand was like talcum powder this year. Ideally a good downpour in the week before makes for perfect conditions. My daughter has raced it a few times and really enjoys it...her problem is the dead engine start ...short legs. This year she was on the finish flag with her dad. They brought back most of the beach in their hair, ears, noses and every bloody pocket. :D2
About time you sorted her out with something that goes off the button surely... Weymouth is like Skeggy, deep and dry, Skeggy is coarse dry shell type sand, we dug down 8 feet to get the track under the pier, and never hit anything wet. i wonder if there is a short race on saturday LOL.. that would round the season off nice, 3 races in Belgium, 6 in Germany, one in Czech, Fareigh for the Vets Des Nations, and a Beach race for good measure. I suppose i should before i get old ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back