Weston Beach Race

Discussion in 'Motorcycles and Motorhomes' started by Enword, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Enword

Enword Funster

Ratings:
    +11,690
    From FB, not the wisest move of the day :doh:

• Like it Like it x 3
  2. Just smiffy

Just smiffy Funster

Ratings:
    +12,995
    :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Mayhem and madness....

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Enword

Enword Funster

Ratings:
    +11,690
    Bit more here

4. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Ratings:
    +3,504
    Raced it a few times. Not fun at all.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +6,548
    I would have thought the organisers need to review their crowd safety too unless they fancy it being banned with this on facebook

6. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Ratings:
    +3,504
    It has been .. in the old days the track was the other side of the fence, with no markers giving a gap.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +6,548
    The fact the rider hit the fence suggests the gap needs to be a lot bigger if his helmet hit a spectator on the head that might have been the end of the event forever. I think health and safety is often taken too far but with public events one death of a spectator would probably be the end of the event permanently

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,645
    Why the hell didn't the idiot who's bike had stopped simply waited still lined up the correct way until the rest had passed him by???

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,362
    I've never seen so many bikes, anyone know how many ?

10. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +40,362
    So why did you go back ?

11. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +3,389
    To be fair with that spray it would be almost impossible to see the stationary bike.

12. Enword

Enword Funster

Ratings:
    +11,690
    To be fair the rider was between a rock & a hard place, Just to to sit there you would have to be very very brave or stupid, if you get hit sat on a stationary bike at 80mph you are not going come out of it well! he may have been better to have jumped off & faced the pack until they passed but still with all the spray & sand tough decision, just stood there hoping they will see you. In count less starts I've stalled twice in all the years racing, the most scary thing you will experience 29 sidecars flyin past whilst you try to get the bike started :eek:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Enword

Enword Funster

Ratings:
    +11,690
    They race different classes on Sat to Sun your looking at nearly a thousand (y) Bloke in the village had his first go this year, finished 598th (y)

14. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +3,389
    It is very difficult to distinguish wether a bike is moving or stationary when you are coming up behind one at speed and of course you do not want to slow down as you will loose places,as any racer will tell you.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +40,362
    Looks like one race where coming last is a good move.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,499
    Is there a race like it in le touquet France ?

17. Enword

Enword Funster

Ratings:
    +11,690
    Lots of fun riders will wait for the first away to clear, Id be waiting behind the barrier's :whistle: off road & me don't have a good rapport:p

18. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Unfortunately with around 1000 riders in the race it would have been far worse if he had stayed put and it was unfortunate that he got hit. The spectator suffered a broken knee apparently. The riders certainly aren’t idiots, many of them are British and World Championship contenders and are extremely experienced. I am personally not a fan of Weston but I see the draw. It is an amazing spectacle and is well worth a watch at least once if you ever get the chance.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  19. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Ratings:
    +3,504
    I you think that was scary watching, imagine doing it.. Weston is a copy of the race in Le Touquet, except where Le Touquet is sand , Weston is just slop, because the water table is three inches above the surface. When they ran qualifiers back in the day , i led mine down the straight and i have never been so thankful to get to the other end , i hugged the fence all the way up so if it nipped , i could bail over the fence as soon as it stopped. Luckily it didnt , but after 3 attempts i finished it and sacked it off for good.

Le Touquet is mint though, proper sand, i have been once to pit crew for friends, and came away with a win and an eleventh, and a cold that lasted a month. The top riders there are so fast , in the sand, that is mesmerising to watch, as they weave through the many slower riders.

Dont get me wrong, as long as folk want to go , and riders want to ride, its all good , but not for me.

A side note, the last time i went , it was cancelled after a similar incident , when a rider hit another who had stopped and the chain reaction saw 10 or 15 guys down hard , the worst was air lifted away with pretty severe injuries, i reckon this was maybe 2010, or 2011. This year that rider finished inside the top 40 and his younger brother won it for the 3rd time.

They run a smaller one at Weymouth, which was last week, and one at Skegness too, which is in a week or two, used to commentate at that one, its the hardest one of the lot, sand is so soft that you cant get on the beach with anything other than a tracked vehicle or quad.

20. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Ratings:
    +3,504
    You are riding blind, most of the time, even the best prepped goggles dont help, you just have to go fast enough that the speed clears them. The last time we did it , i had a 500cc Honda that was geared to do 115mph and i had it on the stop every lap, with the choke on to stop it seizing. Was a proper buzz.

• Like it Like it x 1