We're thinking about Northern Ireland next year (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We're in the early stages of planning so thought I'd ask for ideas of places to go, cheapest ferry etc.
John can't get health insurance so we'll be sticking to Northern Ireland unless he's 'fixed' by then!
Last year we had a whole tour of Southern England planned and booked by December and were glad we did because getting sites later in the year when we wanted to change one or two places was difficult.
Don't know if next year will be the same but I enjoy the planning anyway.
Usually we'd be going in to Europe and not book anything at all but the health insurance problem is stopping us at the moment.
Looking forward to your ideas.
Steph

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Be prepared for a shock - the ferries are not cheap.
Depending on where you are travelling from, I would suggest Cairnryan to Belfast.
There are a few campsites close to Belfast if you wanted to spend a few days there.
From Belfast follow the Antrim Coast road north.
There will be a good selection of campsites and also some locations for wild camping.
Lots to see on the way. The Giants Causeway, Carrick na Rede rope bridge, Bushmills distillery to name a few.
When you have had enough of the coast, go to Enniskillen and spend a few days (or more) around Lough Erne.
Beautiful scenery (if it is not raining) and a few nice National Trust properties to visit if you are interested.
When you decide what route you are taking and what you want to see, I can give you some recommendations as to where to stay.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just looked up the ferries and you're right they're not cheap but we'll do it anyway.
We're usually away for a couple of months. Will that be sufiecient time/too much? We like coast, lakes, some inland too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I visited NI in September, loved it.
Ferry Cairnryan to Larne which is the shortest route as we have a dog, probably cheapest too.
Lots of lovely places to go as mentioned by ontheroadagain
We did 2/3 nights wilding followed by a night on a campsite, no problem wilding.
It's worth going up to Malin Head then down the Wild Atlantic Way through Donegal, fantastic beaches and scenery.
I'd hoped to get to Galway but only made it to Westport before we had to head back.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely go back to see more of the WAW.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
We're usually away for a couple of months. Will that be sufiecient time/too much?
Northern Ireland is not a big country. You could see all of it in two months.
Depending on how long you want to stay at each location, it could be too long for some.
In that timescale you would also have time to visit Co Donegal and the west coast of Ireland, but as this is in R.O.I. your health insurance may be an issue.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you want a central location within NI which has spectacular loch views, water resupply and a bar/fishshop on the doorstep......and for free......then go for the Battery Bar at the Battery Harbour, Loch Neagh (the bit which says 'you are here').

All the best,

Andrew

Screenshot_20211111-092440_Photos.jpg

20211111_093000.jpg

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We went between lockdowns autumn 2020 and absolutely loved it. So much to see, and it was quiet (bet it isn't now). Yes the ferries are expensive but when you can visit Game of Thrones sites, meet a dire wolf, ffind great campsites and get soaked to the skin on Giant's Causeway what's not to love?

<Broken link removed>

Attachments

• P1000667.JPG
    P1000667.JPG
    626.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1000104.JPG
    P1000104.JPG
    903.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you want a central location within NI which has spectacular loch views, water resupply and a bar/fishshop on the doorstep......and for free......then go for the Battery Bar at the Battery Harbour, Loch Neagh (the bit which says 'you are here').
I had a night there, lovely place 👍

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Another top recommendation is this site at Becoo, just inside NI. I can honestly say it's one of the nicest sites I've ever been on.
The elsan point is cleaner than some shower blocks I've seen.
All pitches have a great view of the lake and lauch slipway for boats or kayak. Lake walk and outdoor gym 👍
The owner even came out to say cheerio on leaving 😊

Screenshot_20211111-152642.png

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Don’t worry too much if you are in the South and taken ill. My father was on the Shannon on a boat trip with his Grandsons. He was taken really ill, rushed to hospital and the transferred him to a large hospital in the North. Apparently they share a lot of medical support. NB. You will just love Ireland - both north and south.

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
I think, in terms of health insurance, if you encroached into the Republic of Ireland, and it's highly recommended, you'd never be far away from the NHS in Northern Ireland.
After exploring NI itself, Co Donegal is a natural extension to the tour. And if you're into waterways and lakes, as someone else has pointed out, you can extend into Co Lietrim via the Shannon Erne Waterway from Co Fermanagh. Waterways Ireland permit motorhomes to use the car parks at the moorings for free. EHU's and other services are a modest extra.

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm always somewhat amused when I see quotes like these...

Be prepared for a shock - the ferries are not cheap.

and you're right they're not cheap

I checked out the ferry for Ireland last week and could not believe how much they are. :eek:

And I can't begin to pretend that it's a cheap crossing, given that I'm sitting in Belfast having paid in the order of £300 to travel in a car for the weekend.
But I don't believe it's significantly more expensive than crossing La Manche when comparing like with like.
Yes, it cost £300 booked two weeks ago, as opposed to £45 of Tesco vouchers for the Tunnel when booked 6 months ago.

I've just done sample bookings (Cairnryan/Belfast and Eurotunnel) for a sub 8m m/h with two passengers travelling late November for 10 days, travelling mid morning on mid priced bookings (a degree of flexibility and cancellation), the Tunnel worked out £24 more expensive (£354 as opposed to £330).

Sorry for the hijack, to the OP enjoy your trip, and as has been said already you can easily cross the border and stay very close to NI incase you need to nip back and avail of the services of the NHS.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
The ferries to NI are cheaper from Tuesday to Thursday as they offer the same price for a MH as a car. Also as a frequent visitor to my daughter's in England things in NI are generally a bit cheaper than England....car parking, campsite fees, eating out etc and it's a lot less crowded so don't be too put off by ferry charges. Don't forget Tesco vouchers either if you have them. Would agree if doing NI slip across to Donegal for a taste of rural Ireland...beaches, deserted mountains, country roads. Follow the coast from Malin to Killybegs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back