Well, we've gone and done it ! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Ouch Duncan, an expensive add on plus unreliability is a bad combo.

There must be a manual for yours out there, if you go back in this thread you'll see one was found for my model. I can only suggest you pester the dealer. Surely his staff must have been on some sort of course for this.

Best of luck.

Clive

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
since 2000 (a couple of VW campervans and a low profile Dethleffs)
We should collect our new Pilote P650GJ in the next couple of weeks, once it's registered and the awning and refillable LPG is fitted. Also getting excited at the prospect of our first ever new vehicle! It's taken till retirement (slightly early, fortunately) and splashing out some of our savings and part of a tax-free pension lump sum to afford it. But you can't take it with you, so what the hell!
We're getting it from Robsons in Wolsingham (near Durham), in spite of them being a couple of hours from us, rather than the hour or so to Signature Motorhomes in Preston, who in spite of seeming great at the sales/info and advice stage, were not able to give us much in part exchange compared to Robsons, who were friendly and informative but not at all pushy, letting the product sell itself. We got a great end of 2019 season price on their exhibition vehicle that has lots of extras fitted, too.
We had also dropped in at Hayes in Birmingham, who were pretty good except for not providing a trade-in price that they had promised.
Sounds like the tablet devices may be a challenge to come - I'll keep you posted with our experiences.
One of the main changes we wanted, different from our previous Dethleffs, was a bed you can get out of easily ie without having to climb over each other and down a ladder (!), as we did with the transverse-over-the-garage version. I'm pleased to hear the beds are comfy!
Payload seems to be generous at nearly 600kg. I appreciate that it will be diminished by awning, gas bottle and fittings, spare wheel, outside furniture, bikes, inflatable canoe and kit, tank of fresh water - that lot comes to about 250 kg, so plenty of headroom for other personal effects, food/booze etc - but I will get it on a weighbridge, once loaded up, at some point soon.
As it's a lot more "winterised" than our previous one we'll maybe try and get away over the winter a few times - I'm sure we'll be itching to try it, that's for sure!
Happy touring, fellow Piloters!!

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We should collect our new Pilote P650GJ in the next couple of weeks, once it's registered and the awning and refillable LPG is fitted. Also getting excited at the prospect of our first ever new vehicle! It's taken till retirement (slightly early, fortunately) and splashing out some of our savings and part of a tax-free pension lump sum to afford it. But you can't take it with you, so what the hell!
We're getting it from Robsons in Wolsingham (near Durham), in spite of them being a couple of hours from us, rather than the hour or so to Signature Motorhomes in Preston, who in spite of seeming great at the sales/info and advice stage, were not able to give us much in part exchange compared to Robsons, who were friendly and informative but not at all pushy, letting the product sell itself. We got a great end of 2019 season price on their exhibition vehicle that has lots of extras fitted, too.
We had also dropped in at Hayes in Birmingham, who were pretty good except for not providing a trade-in price that they had promised.
Sounds like the tablet devices may be a challenge to come - I'll keep you posted with our experiences.
One of the main changes we wanted, different from our previous Dethleffs, was a bed you can get out of easily ie without having to climb over each other and down a ladder (!), as we did with the transverse-over-the-garage version. I'm pleased to hear the beds are comfy!
Payload seems to be generous at nearly 600kg. I appreciate that it will be diminished by awning, gas bottle and fittings, spare wheel, outside furniture, bikes, inflatable canoe and kit, tank of fresh water - that lot comes to about 250 kg, so plenty of headroom for other personal effects, food/booze etc - but I will get it on a weighbridge, once loaded up, at some point soon.
As it's a lot more "winterised" than our previous one we'll maybe try and get away over the winter a few times - I'm sure we'll be itching to try it, that's for sure!

The largest Solar panel that will fit on the roof and you can afford, a couple of the biggest Gas cylinders that will fit in the locker, as many leisure batteries as possible and the World is your lobster.
Go where you want, stay as long as you want and enjoy what you want.
But make sure the payload is sufficient for your needs ....

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
The largest Solar panel that will fit on the roof and you can afford, a couple of the biggest Gas cylinders that will fit in the locker, as many leisure batteries as possible and the World is your lobster.
Go where you want, stay as long as you want and enjoy what you want.
But make sure the payload is sufficient for your needs ....

:france: :france: :france: :france:

It's got a factory fitted solar panel and we're transferring the 11kg Gasit bottle from the old van (might get another now I know they fit), so we're part way there!

Recharging electric bikes when off grid may be another challenge...

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Congratulations on becoming a Piloteer, I'm sure you won't regret your choice of 'van.
We've had our 799gj for 6 months now and managed 40+ nights away and enjoyed everyone. Yes, you will find certain things different but that's part of the fun. The tablet in the van works fine and is quite easy after a bit of practice. The cab tablet is not quite as easy but does what we need.

Make sure you get a good demo of both tablets on handover.

Payload is fine for us and we don't travel lightly, I posted some figures some time back. I can fit 2 × 13kg gas bottles in but I'm seriously considering a refillable system.

Have lotsa fun ??

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
Do you have the two tablet system or the single Garmin Sat Nav device? If the latter I would be very interested on your experience with it....

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Sorry but we have the two tablet system, scroll back on this posting, Duncan was having problems with the Garmin system, not sure how he's getting on.

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Do you have the two tablet system or the single Garmin Sat Nav device? If the latter I would be very interested on your experience with it....
I'm not sure who you were asking about, but we haven't picked ours up yet. Slight delay for various reasons including DVLA backlog for new registrations.

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
I'm not sure who you were asking about, but we haven't picked ours up yet. Slight delay for various reasons including DVLA backlog for new registrations.
Was asking your good self :) Should you have the 'all in one' Garmin tablet system, I would still be interested in what you think of it once you pick the MH up.

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Was asking your good self :) Should you have the 'all in one' Garmin tablet system, I would still be interested in what you think of it once you pick the MH up.

Will do. I'm afraid it will be a good few weeks yet as Murphy's Law dictates that suddenly I have been summoned for much needed back surgery and I won't be allowed to drive for a few weeks...

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
Sorry but we have the two tablet system, scroll back on this posting, Duncan was having problems with the Garmin system, not sure how he's getting on.
Still having the same issues; Garmin Sat Nav is fine (apart from the system randomly going into sleep mode when on the driving mount), Fusion app for the DAB radio is shockingly bad and the eXperience app for the habitation services just does not seem to provide any accurate readings at all, but hey, why should us old fools dare to rely on technology just because we paid a shed load of cash for it! :sneaky::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but have you seen my new threa regarding the leisure battery query.

Has anyone experienced similar a situation ?

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Not sure if anyone has seen my new thread regarding my leisure battery problem, has anyone experienced the same ?

We have now spent over 60 nights in the Pilote and have to say we are very pleased, we only have a very short list of gripes which are ;

Having to select 12v or 240v for the power source, annoying and not sure why this has been designed as such.

Touch screen on the cab tablet isn't very responsive and can take far too many attempts.

The "problem" with the leisure battery losing it's charge.

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Geistguy , I had a similar problem a few months ago, turns out the problem was with the charger which wasn’t charging via mains! I was on my way to France at the time, used it off grid the night before which completely ran the battery down, the solar couldn’t charge it as it had gone too far! Bought a battery just before getting on the ferry, fitted it, solar kicked in but nothing on mains and managed for the week, back to Blighty, used a charger to charge the original battery which recovered it! Refitted old battery took straight to dealers, system tested new charging unit ordered then 6 weeks later had it fitted, new battery returned to Halfords for a refund as I didn’t need it.....?

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Dazzler, that's interesting,thanks for the info. Sorry to hear you had a similar problem. General opinion seems to be that it's one of 3 things, a dud battery, charger fault or the Xperience screen giving the wrong info.

I know batteries can go wrong at any age but mine is only 18 months old, 135ah, and a good make, we previously had it on our Geist and transferred to the Pilote as theirs was only 100ah. I'm speaking to the dealers technician later and expect that they will want to see it.

I'll keep you informed via this thread.

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp

Hello again fellow Piloteers. Well it's exactly 3 weeks since I had back surgery for a herniated disc and I am very slowly gaining mobility or be it with some pain at times, which I am assured by those who know should slowly diminish over time, probably many months.
Anyway more to the point our new Pilote 650GJ was delivered to us yesterday, so the dealer could take our trade-in Dethleffs away and get on with sorting it out for selling on. The handover went well, with lots to take in obviously. We're off now back to our storage spot to look over it all, with more time to play with everything, not least the two touch-screen control panels. As I learn anything of note I'll report back. Long term I'm considering whether I might change the house battery for a lithium one, so I can deep cycle it if need be to recharge our ebikes without EHU - I noticed that the control panel shows all four types of battery options (lead-acid, AGM, gel and Lithium) so the recharging regime seems to be already built in - a bonus I wasn't expecting.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Not sure if anyone has seen my new thread regarding my leisure battery problem, has anyone experienced the same ?

We have now spent over 60 nights in the Pilote and have to say we are very pleased, we only have a very short list of gripes which are ;

Having to select 12v or 240v for the power source, annoying and not sure why this has been designed as such.

Touch screen on the cab tablet isn't very responsive and can take far too many attempts.

The "problem" with the leisure battery losing it's charge.
I had the same problem. Took van back to dealership. Leisure batteries flat as a pancake. It turned out there is a switch under the bed that had accidentally got switched on it was the 12volt to 240volt converter/ transverter. Cost me 2 leisure batteries. Heh ho a learning curve.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Cumbriankeith, first of all get fit and well soon. I'm sure you will soon come to terms with Pilotes techy bits, practice and practice again ! Don't forget to swap the switch over depending if you're on 12v or 240v. Despite our current hicup we love ours. Winter camping is a doddle, -2c experienced but toasty sleeping in the van even without heating.

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Sorry Duncan, not got the Garmin version in ours. Bluetoothing my smartphone to the system for handsfree calls was easy enough and got music to play from my phone as well. Not sure if you can play music off a USB stick plugged in to the glovebox USB socket, or is it just for charging?
Rearview camera is good, but radio then switches off - so I'll have to look back through this thread to find how to change that, as I fitted a twin rear camera system on the previous MH and like the "Rearview mirror" function it provided. Anyway lots to play with as I slowly recover my fitness.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I believe the music turns off when the reversing camera comes on to satisfy some EEC safety directive (!!) My Suzuki car does exactly the same. If a camera is fitted by yourself then possibly this could be bypassed.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I saw a few Pilot vans today and I've got to admit that they looked pretty cool.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I agree, it's a first for us as well and until you get into the habit of swapping over it's a bit frustrating. I can only assume that it's to protect the hi tech wizardry.

If you do forget then an error message appears on the heating system screen above the door, this is easily solved by resetting the heating etc on this screen - not the "tablet" screen.

We've now spent over 60 days in our van since March and loved every minute, despite the odd frustration.

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
I agree, it's a first for us as well and until you get into the habit of swapping over it's a bit frustrating. I can only assume that it's to protect the hi tech wizardry.

If you do forget then an error message appears on the heating system screen above the door, this is easily solved by resetting the heating etc on this screen - not the "tablet" screen.

We've now spent over 60 days in our van since March and loved every minute, despite the odd frustration.
Do you happen to have any pictures of this 'switch'?

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Yeah, that’s the issue I had, I am going to try again later using my MiFi! What I find quite frustrating is that if you wish to use the camera as a rear view mirror whilst driving it turns the radio off! It would seem it can only do one job at a time.
Darren
Ours did the either radio/music OR rearview camera thing as it came from the dealer, but I've been playing with it today and deep within the settings there is an option to "Mute" or "Not Mute" - once I had tapped on it to "Not Muted" then the music or radio stays on with the camera active. A couple of pics of the relevant settings screens:

Attachments

• Dash tablet 1.JPG
    Dash tablet 1.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Dash tablet 2.JPG
    Dash tablet 2.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 36

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
Here is our indication after 2 days of mains hook up (and rebooting the system twice):
Untitled.png

I would have thought that:
  1. the battery would be showing 100% by now, or
  2. would be showing as charging given that it is at 74%, and
  3. would be showing a higher current draw from the mains
  4. the app would show that the solar panel is active given that the sun is shining today
If the app happens to be the problem, then, as much as I accept that it may be rather fickle for us to rely on technology, we did pay £800 for this thing and at that price I would expect it to work. Back to the dealer it is then!!

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Here is our indication after 2 days of mains hook up (and rebooting the system twice):View attachment 349684

I would have thought that:
  1. the battery would be showing 100% by now, or
  2. would be showing as charging given that it is at 74%, and
  3. would be showing a higher current draw from the mains
  4. the app would show that the solar panel is active given that the sun is shining today
If the app happens to be the problem, then, as much as I accept that it may be rather fickle for us to rely on technology, we did pay £800 for this thing and at that price I would expect it to work. Back to the dealer it is then!!
Hi,
I have used this system for 8 months and it works ok, not ground breaking. A couple of responses below for your queries.
1, check the settings to see which amp battery is selected, if a higher amp is ticked it would assume it’s partly charged.
2, as above, battery can not receive anymore if it’s at capacity
3, what is running at the moment? Try turning some stuff on/off and watch what changes the draw has.
4, only shows using solar when no hookup is connected. Disconnect and see what happens.

I had my charger replaced 3 months ago as it went tits up in France, solar charged perfectly but wouldn’t charge when connected to mains.

darren

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
Hi,
I have used this system for 8 months and it works ok, not ground breaking. A couple of responses below for your queries.
1, check the settings to see which amp battery is selected, if a higher amp is ticked it would assume it’s partly charged.
2, as above, battery can not receive anymore if it’s at capacity
3, what is running at the moment? Try turning some stuff on/off and watch what changes the draw has.
4, only shows using solar when no hookup is connected. Disconnect and see what happens.

I had my charger replaced 3 months ago as it went tits up in France, solar charged perfectly but wouldn’t charge when connected to mains.

darren
Thanks Darren.

Dealer advised me to pull the Battery Sensor fuse and refit which appeared to do the trick.
Just hope we do not have to repeat this too often!

IMG_7602.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back