OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Ouch Duncan, an expensive add on plus unreliability is a bad combo.

There must be a manual for yours out there, if you go back in this thread you'll see one was found for my model. I can only suggest you pester the dealer. Surely his staff must have been on some sort of course for this.

Best of luck.

Clive

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Pilote
Exp
since 2000
We should collect our new Pilote P650GJ in the next couple of weeks, once it's registered and the awning and refillable LPG is fitted. Also getting excited at the prospect of our first ever new vehicle! It's taken till retirement (slightly early, fortunately) and splashing out some of our savings and part of a tax-free pension lump sum to afford it. But you can't take it with you, so what the hell!
We're getting it from Robsons in Wolsingham (near Durham), in spite of them being a couple of hours from us, rather than the hour or so to Signature Motorhomes in Preston, who in spite of seeming great at the sales/info and advice stage, were not able to give us much in part exchange compared to Robsons, who were friendly and informative but not at all pushy, letting the product sell itself. We got a great end of 2019 season price on their exhibition vehicle that has lots of extras fitted, too.
We had also dropped in at Hayes in Birmingham, who were pretty good except for not providing a trade-in price that they had promised.
Sounds like the tablet devices may be a challenge to come - I'll keep you posted with our experiences.
One of the main changes we wanted, different from our previous Dethleffs, was a bed you can get out of easily ie without having to climb over each other and down a ladder (!), as we did with the transverse-over-the-garage version. I'm pleased to hear the beds are comfy!
Payload seems to be generous at nearly 600kg. I appreciate that it will be diminished by awning, gas bottle and fittings, spare wheel, outside furniture, bikes, inflatable canoe and kit, tank of fresh water - that lot comes to about 250 kg, so plenty of headroom for other personal effects, food/booze etc - but I will get it on a weighbridge, once loaded up, at some point soon.
As it's a lot more "winterised" than our previous one we'll maybe try and get away over the winter a few times - I'm sure we'll be itching to try it, that's for sure!
Happy touring, fellow Piloters!!

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We should collect our new Pilote P650GJ in the next couple of weeks, once it's registered and the awning and refillable LPG is fitted. Also getting excited at the prospect of our first ever new vehicle! It's taken till retirement (slightly early, fortunately) and splashing out some of our savings and part of a tax-free pension lump sum to afford it. But you can't take it with you, so what the hell!
We're getting it from Robsons in Wolsingham (near Durham), in spite of them being a couple of hours from us, rather than the hour or so to Signature Motorhomes in Preston, who in spite of seeming great at the sales/info and advice stage, were not able to give us much in part exchange compared to Robsons, who were friendly and informative but not at all pushy, letting the product sell itself. We got a great end of 2019 season price on their exhibition vehicle that has lots of extras fitted, too.
We had also dropped in at Hayes in Birmingham, who were pretty good except for not providing a trade-in price that they had promised.
Sounds like the tablet devices may be a challenge to come - I'll keep you posted with our experiences.
One of the main changes we wanted, different from our previous Dethleffs, was a bed you can get out of easily ie without having to climb over each other and down a ladder (!), as we did with the transverse-over-the-garage version. I'm pleased to hear the beds are comfy!
Payload seems to be generous at nearly 600kg. I appreciate that it will be diminished by awning, gas bottle and fittings, spare wheel, outside furniture, bikes, inflatable canoe and kit, tank of fresh water - that lot comes to about 250 kg, so plenty of headroom for other personal effects, food/booze etc - but I will get it on a weighbridge, once loaded up, at some point soon.
As it's a lot more "winterised" than our previous one we'll maybe try and get away over the winter a few times - I'm sure we'll be itching to try it, that's for sure!
The largest Solar panel that will fit on the roof and you can afford, a couple of the biggest Gas cylinders that will fit in the locker, as many leisure batteries as possible and the World is your lobster.
Go where you want, stay as long as you want and enjoy what you want.
But make sure the payload is sufficient for your needs ....

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Pilote
Exp
since 2000
The largest Solar panel that will fit on the roof and you can afford, a couple of the biggest Gas cylinders that will fit in the locker, as many leisure batteries as possible and the World is your lobster.
Go where you want, stay as long as you want and enjoy what you want.
But make sure the payload is sufficient for your needs ....

:france: :france: :france: :france:
It's got a factory fitted solar panel and we're transferring the 11kg Gasit bottle from the old van (might get another now I know they fit), so we're part way there!

Recharging electric bikes when off grid may be another challenge...

OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Congratulations on becoming a Piloteer, I'm sure you won't regret your choice of 'van.
We've had our 799gj for 6 months now and managed 40+ nights away and enjoyed everyone. Yes, you will find certain things different but that's part of the fun. The tablet in the van works fine and is quite easy after a bit of practice. The cab tablet is not quite as easy but does what we need.

Make sure you get a good demo of both tablets on handover.

Payload is fine for us and we don't travel lightly, I posted some figures some time back. I can fit 2 Ɨ 13kg gas bottles in but I'm seriously considering a refillable system.

Have lotsa fun šŸ‘šŸ˜

Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you have the two tablet system or the single Garmin Sat Nav device? If the latter I would be very interested on your experience with it....

OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Sorry but we have the two tablet system, scroll back on this posting, Duncan was having problems with the Garmin system, not sure how he's getting on.

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Pilote
Exp
since 2000
Do you have the two tablet system or the single Garmin Sat Nav device? If the latter I would be very interested on your experience with it....
I'm not sure who you were asking about, but we haven't picked ours up yet. Slight delay for various reasons including DVLA backlog for new registrations.

Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not sure who you were asking about, but we haven't picked ours up yet. Slight delay for various reasons including DVLA backlog for new registrations.
Was asking your good self :) Should you have the 'all in one' Garmin tablet system, I would still be interested in what you think of it once you pick the MH up.

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Pilote
Exp
since 2000
Was asking your good self :) Should you have the 'all in one' Garmin tablet system, I would still be interested in what you think of it once you pick the MH up.
Will do. I'm afraid it will be a good few weeks yet as Murphy's Law dictates that suddenly I have been summoned for much needed back surgery and I won't be allowed to drive for a few weeks...

Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry but we have the two tablet system, scroll back on this posting, Duncan was having problems with the Garmin system, not sure how he's getting on.
Still having the same issues; Garmin Sat Nav is fine (apart from the system randomly going into sleep mode when on the driving mount), Fusion app for the DAB radio is shockingly bad and the eXperience app for the habitation services just does not seem to provide any accurate readings at all, but hey, why should us old fools dare to rely on technology just because we paid a shed load of cash for it! :sneaky::rolleyes:

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers