Weird Noise - Any Ideas? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We have been happily using our Carthago Compactline i143 since Monday. Today a strange intermittent noise has started. It is hard to describe but it is a strange buzz, a bit like running a finger nail along a comb but louder. It lasts no more than 2 seconds and happens every few minutes. It started when we were driving but hasn’t stopped since pitching up. It comes from the top corner roof area where it joins the outer wall and is loudest where the bathroom joins the main cabin.

I thought perhaps it was a relay trying to latch but failing. However I shut down all the domestic electrics, 12v and mains, but the sound continues. I wondered about a pressure relief valve but letting the pressure out of the water system makes no difference. There is a roof aerial close to where the noise comes from so perhaps an aerial amplifier? I have looked for ways to get into the area but everything is tightly fixed together and nothing seems removable.

If you have any ideas what might be causing this annoying noise I would be very grateful for your suggestions. Wild ideas are welcome.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Grillo? They're starting up over here now it's getting warmer and like to tuck up in a hole as it amplifies their call to attract a mate.

OP
OP
Pausim
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Sounds like the water pump kicking in and out.
You probably have a leak somewhere.
Checked the pump but under floor and noise continues when switched off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you turned off the dash media unit? On ours it is linked to the TV/AV area which is where you seem to be hearing the noise from.

Other suggestions - have you got something in the bathroom cabinet (eg alarm clock) that might be sounding? Have you put something in the TV unit area that could have dropped down and be hidden?

OP
OP
Pausim
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Something to do with the media unit is a possibility, though it is shut down. I wondered about the relay for switching from engine to leisure battery power.

We have checked all cabinets. Alarm clocks, electric tooth brushes and sex toys all accounted for.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Something to do with the media unit is a possibility, though it is shut down. I wondered about the relay for switching from engine to leisure battery power.
I'm not sure about the MH one but our TV at home still has some residual 'energy' in it even when it's turned off at the mains and the red stand-by light stays on for ages (usually meaning I double check I've turned it off at the wall!) so I wonder if it's the TV itself? Or if the amplifier for the aerial does the same so until it discharges it has little 'trills'?

We have checked all cabinets. Alarm clocks, electric tooth brushes and sex toys all accounted for.
... are you sure? :whistle2:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Well you did say long shot's welcome, what about the shower assembly? you know the noise the flexible metal hose makes when it is pulled through the retaining ring.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could the noise be coming from outside on the roof?
Late last year we had an annoying buzzing from the roof of our AT. Hours later, over two \ three days, discovered it was a label that was stuck around the cable from the solar panel (under it) that was coming loose and "buzzing" in the wind!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
In these situations a stethoscope is a great tool to precisely track down where the sound is coming from.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
we had a moth caught in spiders web behind the awning and it was making a buzzing noise as it tried to escape took a while to find it as it seemed to be inside

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’ll go with a Bee, Wasp or irritated Fly trapped somewhere, you will probably find it will stop soon when the insect dies!
No way it can be a buzzer or pump, not up in the top corner of roof!

OP
OP
Pausim
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Late evening the mysterious noise stopped. Still not found the cause but all quiet this morning.
Well you did say long shot's welcome, what about the shower assembly? you know the noise the flexible metal hose makes when it is pulled through the retaining ring.
Good suggestion and a similar noise. I checked this more than once but not the culprit.
Could the noise be coming from outside on the roof?
Late last year we had an annoying buzzing from the roof of our AT. Hours later, over two \ three days, discovered it was a label that was stuck around the cable from the solar panel (under it) that was coming loose and "buzzing" in the wind!
Checked the roof but no sign of anything.
In these situations a stethoscope is a great tool to precisely track down where the sound is coming from.
A stethoscope would have been very useful. I also thought about a borescope to poke through the limited openings.
we had a moth caught in spiders web behind the awning and it was making a buzzing noise as it tried to escape took a while to find it as it seemed to be inside

I’ll go with a Bee, Wasp or irritated Fly trapped somewhere, you will probably find it will stop soon when the insect dies!
No way it can be a buzzer or pump, not up in the top corner of roof!

It sounded more mechanical than biological but I haven’t ruled anything out.

A big THANK YOU to all for your helpful suggestions. I will let you know if the noise returns or if I find the source.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A couple of times I have had a rapid clicking every minute or two whilst driving. It was the fridge gas igniter when I had forgotten to turn the fridge control from 'Gas' to 12v. The fridge flame kept igniting then blowing out, then igniting, then blowing out.......... due to the draught whilst driving.

OP
OP
Pausim
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just a thought have you a Tracker fitted that may be malfunctioning.
Yes we have a tracker but it is fitted under the dash and well away from the noise. All suggestions welcome, I may well have missed the obvious.

No return of the noise so far but we are moving on tomorrow, hope moving doesn’t make it kick off again.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Tinnitus?......

Seriously though, all my life |I have had occasions when I hear deep humming noises - or even music - that no-one else can hear. I've learnt to ignore them over time and I stop noticing them.

OP
OP
Pausim
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not tinnitus on this occasion. We both could hear the noise, it was unmissable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back