LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of our works vans was written off as uneconomic to repair, insurance claim was under £4,000 ..... someone from the garage where it had been routinely serviced bought it from the insurance company for £250, he repaired it and is still using it as his run around five years on.

I also think HPI are trying it on and you might like to send them a copy of this thread or mention it is being discussed.... brings the company into disrepute which they don't like. Social media does have a place in this situation as well.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Update:
Ok, hpi check, we have no claim as the information they gave was correct for the reg and vin numbers we supplied to them. Although we paid by bank transfer, it was for more than their £3k limit...!
So please all those out there buying a motorhome trust no one and check and check again and again..!

We are hoping that we may be allowed to buy the motorhome back from the insurance company as they have paid out to the original owner but of course this would be down to how much we can get together and how much they want for it..? Any body out there that has bought anything back from insurers I would be interest to know....

I really appreciate all your comments as some of you are coming up with things we are not thinking of.
Thanks....
That's utterly ridiculous . What point is there in using them with a 3k limit. ??

Anyway this in post number 41 that you posted ,

Hpi t/c
  1. 12.5 The HPI Guarantee will not cover any losses arising due to a “cloned” vehicle, where the purchase price for the vehicle is greater than £3000, and the purchase price is paid in cash. We recommend that all vehicles are paid via the banking system – such as cheque or a bankers draft. For the purpose of this clause, a “cloned” vehicle is one that has been stolen, and given a false identity, normally that of an identical vehicle.
I would read that as it was covered regardless of the price as long as the deal was done other than in cash. If what they are trying to claim now is correct ,then the above clause is extremely badly written & ambiguous.
If they are stating that 3k is the maximum they'll ever cover then they must never be worried about claims as a scrap , accident damaged vehicle would cost more than that amount.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Sorry this has happened to you i would be spitting feathers if it was me it happened to

Looks like HPI isn't worth having unless that clause it has to be both things occurring ie bought with cash and over 3k as that's how it reads to me

Good luck
That's utterly ridiculous . What point is there in using them with a 3k limit. ??

Anyway this in post number 41 that you posted ,

Hpi t/c
  1. 12.5 The HPI Guarantee will not cover any losses arising due to a “cloned” vehicle, where the purchase price for the vehicle is greater than £3000, and the purchase price is paid in cash. We recommend that all vehicles are paid via the banking system – such as cheque or a bankers draft. For the purpose of this clause, a “cloned” vehicle is one that has been stolen, and given a false identity, normally that of an identical vehicle.
I would read that as it was covered regardless of the price as long as the deal was done other than in cash. If what they are trying to claim now is correct ,then the above clause is extremely badly written & ambiguous.
If they are stating that 3k is the maximum they'll ever cover then they must never be worried about claims as a scrap , accident damaged vehicle would cost more than that amount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I have little to add to the other sympathetic replies given; sounds a truly horrendous situation to be and we hope you can find some sort of resolution from wherever.

Regarding the HPI and other companies offering similar "security" for a chunk of cash, their T&C's are written very much in their favour, but as you're discovering and when push come's to shove, it's not worth a lot.
Is there somewhere in their doubtless cleverly worded T&C's that says it won't cover your situation that's written in an unambiguous manner?
At the very least I'd be asking for a refund of the HPI costs - but NOT until you've had some proper and qualified legal advice; they may see a refund as an end to any obligation to you.

Good luck!

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Fell very sorry for you :( It seems that there is no point in doing an HPI check then, might as well spend the money on beer. I would have spoken to a solicitor ASAP, before taking more direct action! :devil:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Get the solicitor to write to HPI asking for the money - I would even be tempted to take court action against them if necessary (breach of contract ???). I think courts tend to take a dim view of what they see as shady practice and you would stand a chance of success.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It amazes but no longer surprises me that the organisation set up to keep the motor trade honest think it is acceptable to hide behind ambiguous small print..

As far as I'm concerned, the insurance company, the selling dealer and HPI should fight amongst themselves to ensure that you, the paying consumer do not lose out due to their combined innefectualness

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Have been following this post....

All I can add is.... They're all w@nkers!!..

That being Ins, Hpi, police et-all... And any other third party that are willing to take you hard earned dosh ... For nothing in return...

Fight the f3kkers... :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry for your awful loss!

From some legal study years ago I always understood that you can never have legal title to anything if the seller did not have legal title to sell it to you.

Hopefully others will learn from this fact.

The HPI terms and conditions might be held to be unreasonable if tested in court especially when compared to any advertising claims that they have made to solicit business.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Ok.... We are in the process of making a claim to hpi....
Getting legal advice and in contact with original insurer with regards to buying the mototrhome back off them...

I will let you all know of any progress as we get it...
Fingers x'd & hope all goes well(y)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Ok.... We are in the process of making a claim to hpi....
Getting legal advice and in contact with original insurer with regards to buying the mototrhome back off them...

I will let you all know of any progress as we get it...

I would "keep in your back pocket", the suggestion that HPI might buy the motorhome off the insurers and then sell it to you for £1 - it will be cheaper for them than defending any litigation - perhaps mention it to your solicitor as a potential way forward?

If HPI hide behind the small print, then I would contact Watchdog or similar, if these companies cannot protect the general public then it needs exposing.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Correct me if I am wrong.......

Cloned vehicle, cloned from what, a write off or another van still on the road.

Write off.
Then HPI should have spotted it.

Van still on road,
If it was Sorned how did it get taxed?
If it was on road, two lots of Road Tax paid for same vehicle
Over 3 years old needs MOT which is recorded at DVLA, two MOTS, different dates, different mileages?

Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Write off.

Van still on road,
Over 3 years old needs MOT which is recorded at DVLA, two MOTS, different dates, different mileages?

Peter
the professional scumbags are getting clever and will buy a real van to clone. then cut out the vin tags etc and break up the van for parts, including shredding the shell. if you read back through the posts on this thread, it is apparent that the police caught them before the shelled van had been cut up
I am not going to say I admire them, but its apparent that a lot of thought and work goes into modern ringers. if the police hadn't investigated another stolen car and stumbled across the donor van, then they will likely have got away with it. just wonder how many more professionally cloned motorhomes are out there being driven by unsuspecting victims?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Write off.

Van still on road,

Peter
the professional scumbags are getting clever and will buy a real van to clone. then cut out the vin tags etc and break up the van for parts, including shredding the shell. if you read back through the posts on this thread, it is apparent that the police caught them before the shelled van had been cut up
I am not going to say I admire them, but its apparent that a lot of thought and work goes into modern ringers. if the police hadn't investigated another stolen car and stumbled across the donor van, then they will likely have got away with it. just wonder how many more professionally cloned motorhomes are out there being driven by unsuspecting victims?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

That's exactly it thebig1 the cops said it was good on mine, took them a while to see it..

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you read hpi terms and conditions it seems that all its good for is outstanding finance and from what I've researched on other sites that's doubtful as well...:(

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Update:
Well the insurance comany, royal sun alliance have got back to us and said we should go and get our disabled controls off the van as they are going to sell it at auction.... They said they could possibly get 18k for it...! But they would let us have it for 10k ... We can not afford this and that's when they said make arrangements to take off the controls...
I've put a claim in to hpi but don't hold any hope of that...

Anybody following this, please do all you can to checking a van when you buy..... Otherwise it will break your heart....

It looks like we have no hope and lost it all...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Update:
Well the insurance comany, royal sun alliance have got back to us and said we should go and get our disabled controls off the van as they are going to sell it at auction.... They said they could possibly get 18k for it...! But they would let us have it for 10k ... We can not afford this and that's when they said make arrangements to take off the controls...
I've put a claim in to hpi but don't hold any hope of that...

Anybody following this, please do all you can to checking a van when you buy..... Otherwise it will break your heart....

It looks like we have no hope and lost it all...
I feel for you. :(

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Very sorry to hear the news.As you know from our conversation we were in the same position as yourself but the Insurance company let us have our van at a nominal price.Bearing in mind that it will have to be sold as a stolen/recovered with the wrong vin nos etc.It is still probably worth buying at £10k.Lets hope that the seller gets his just rewards!!You say the police told you he has no money but he had your £18k.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
So sorry to hear your bad news :(.
Maybe, offer the insurance company what you can afford as they know you're really interested and will try and get as much out of you as they can. With the adaptation left in it's must be worth less as the market will be considerably smaller. If that doesn't work then keep an eye on BCA auction motorhomes. I've been to Measham a few times and some do go cheap. Yours might end up there and you might get it back at a lot less than £10k.

Just try and keep your head up as things can turn around quite quickly, good luck & all the very best.

Thanks Antony

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the insurers are seriously trying it on with you. no way would a stolen recovered van with false vin make anywhere near £18k. its all a game to them and insignificant what they recover. make another offer if you can afford it, but well under £10k. bear in mind it would make up to £8k at auction but they have to take sellers fees and taxes off the hammer price
I realise this has hit you hard and its emotional, but to the insurers its just business. you need to take this on board and approach them as if you were doing them a favour, as you are.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think that before you hand back the van to Sun Alliance, that you should write to them telling them that you feel that they have treated you unfairly and that you intend to take up the matter with the Insurance Ombudsman unless they make you a far more reasonable offer
The reason I suggest this is because insurance companies HATE having to deal with the Ombudsman and will avoid doing so at all costs
Our eldest son was recently being messed about by an insurance company who had done some repairs on his car, which had subsequently gone wrong. We were advised to threaten them with the Indurance Ombudsman, and they soon changed their tune, put right the dodgy repairs and gave him £70 as an apology
Maybe worth a try?
Best of luck !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think that before you hand back the van to Sun Alliance, that you should write to them telling them that you feel that they have treated you unfairly and that you intend to take up the matter with the Insurance Ombudsman unless they make you a far more reasonable offer
The reason I suggest this is because insurance companies HATE having to deal with the Ombudsman and will avoid doing so at all costs
Our eldest son was recently being messed about by an insurance company who had done some repairs on his car, which had subsequently gone wrong. We were advised to threaten them with the Indurance Ombudsman, and they soon changed their tune, put right the dodgy repairs and gave him £70 as an apology
Maybe worth a try?
Best of luck !
but you miss the point royal sun alliance have no contract or policy with the poster. they own the motorhome having paid out the original owner it was stolen from. they have not treated anyone badly, merely tried to get more for their asset(or liability)
insurers are normally really keen to get rid of stolen recovered or written of vehicles. sounds like the person in the office trying to value it is looking at the book value, forgetting its not worth that much really. for a trader to buy it to sell on will mean they have to put time into getting it re-registered. so this will effect the hammer price plus buyers fees and tax.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I can only feel for you. the police took my friends car after he was stopped one night. he got nothing back. and the police made his life a misery for quite a time afterwards . we do hope you have better luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back