We Bought A Stolen Motorhome (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
but you miss the point royal sun alliance have no contract or policy with the poster. they own the motorhome having paid out the original owner it was stolen from. they have not treated anyone badly, merely tried to get more for their asset(or liability)
insurers are normally really keen to get rid of stolen recovered or written of vehicles. sounds like the person in the office trying to value it is looking at the book value, forgetting its not worth that much really. for a trader to buy it to sell on will mean they have to put time into getting it re-registered. so this will effect the hammer price plus buyers fees and tax.
It would cost nothing to take the approach I suggested and may encourage the insurers to act more reasonably

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It would cost nothing to take the approach I suggested and may encourage the insurers to act more reasonably
I agree entirely. The party least able to withstand the loss is the OP. If the insurance company were to sell it back to him for a nominal sum they would be neither worse off nor better off than if the vehicle had never been found. Or had been broken for parts.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I agree entirely. The party least able to withstand the loss is the OP. If the insurance company were to sell it back to him for a nominal sum they would be neither worse off nor better off than if the vehicle had never been found. Or had been broken for parts.

I don't disagree with you that the OP is least able to stand the loss however the insurers have paid out the full value of the motorhome to the previous legitimate owner. What they are seeking to do is recover as much of that loss as they can. Whether the figure they are seeking is realistic or not is another matter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
this thread is a real problem for me, what was the vin plate on your m/h, was the vin plate a m/h vin plate, did you have a v5 for it,off the dealer and did you sent it to the dvla and get it back the v5 hpi would have informed you that this vin is not a m/h but a car,van , or a barrow please help with this,sunny in Swansea ray

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
this thread is a real problem for me, what was the vin plate on your m/h, was the vin plate a m/h vin plate, did you have a v5 for it,off the dealer and did you sent it to the dvla and get it back the v5 hpi would have informed you that this vin is not a m/h but a car,van , or a barrow please help with this,sunny in Swansea ray

The VIN & Number plates matched and were correct. The trouble is they were off, probably, a insurance write off MH :mad: and then transferred to the stolen one to make it look legit. The Police only found out because they found the written off MH broken up at the back of the yard. If they hadn't found it no one would have been the wiser. Very, Very Unlucky :(

Antony

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
read back through, and the cloned donor vehicle which the police discovered stripped to a shell for parts was a peugeot boxer van

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've been struggling with something. How can the insurance company prove this is 'their' van.. if it has had its identity stripped surely all anyone can prove beyond reasonable doubt is that it isn't the van it is pretending to be (because it isn't a van it's a motorhome) although even that is a stretch (because how do they know the chassis and engine haven't been swapped...

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Shocked so sorry for you it must be heartbreaking

Paul

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Surely the insurance company own the original MH which is cut up ?
They don't own the MH which the OP bought
I'm sure this is s case for the Insurance Ombudsman to resolve, as the insurance company only have their own interests at heart

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'd go with the guys who are suggesting going to the ombudsman, I can't understand why the boxer van that was stollen and paid out on by the insurers , is now a Mh , surely all that belongs to the insurance company is the stripped boxer van ,they may own the reG number and the vin plate as they are part of the boxer van, but what about the rest of it , surely that is yours

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I know you must be feeling really down at the moment - it's a terrible thing that has happened to you! Just don't give up - fight them every step of the way - use all the advice given on here and make yourself a total pain to both Sun Alliance and HPI. Try and get the energy to fight this. I wish you all the best, and am sending lots of good vibes your way!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surely the insurance company own the original MH which is cut up ?
They don't own the MH which the OP bought
I'm sure this is s case for the Insurance Ombudsman to resolve, as the insurance company only have their own interests at heart
I'd go with the guys who are suggesting going to the ombudsman, I can't understand why the boxer van that was stollen and paid out on by the insurers , is now a Mh , surely all that belongs to the insurance company is the stripped boxer van ,they may own the reG number and the vin plate as they are part of the boxer van, but what about the rest of it , surely that is yours

I've probably lost the plot here (yea, what's new!).
Is it not the motorhome that was stolen and the insurers paid out on it. This vehicle was then "tampered with" to have the vin plates, etc from a now scrapped \ broken Peugeot Boxer van attached to disguise its identity.
Or have I got it all wrong (again!)?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I've been struggling with something. How can the insurance company prove this is 'their' van.. if it has had its identity stripped surely all anyone can prove beyond reasonable doubt is that it isn't the van it is pretending to be (because it isn't a van it's a motorhome) although even that is a stretch (because how do they know the chassis and engine haven't been swapped...
They don't have to prove beyond reasonable doubt.. if it went to court they would have to prove in all probability ..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They don't have to prove beyond reasonable doubt.. if it went to court they would have to prove in all probability ..
I'm sure that the court would look unfavourably on the insurance company if the had not treated the OP reasonably and had refused a reasonable offer from them

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There are a number of ways to prove the genuine identity of a vehicle. vin numbers, engine number serial numbers etc. there is no doubt that this is a stolen vehicle belonging to the insurer royal sun alliance

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't disagree with you that the OP is least able to stand the loss however the insurers have paid out the full value of the motorhome to the previous legitimate owner. What they are seeking to do is recover as much of that loss as they can. Whether the figure they are seeking is realistic or not is another matter.
I do understand that. However the insurance company would do themselves no harm if they treated the OP very sympathetically and publicised that fact.

crossy

Free Member
Feb 6, 2016
Tameside
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726g Sovereign
Exp
5 yrs
Don't give up. I'm sure you can claim your money back from the seller eventually via the courts.

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Don't give up. I'm sure you can claim your money back from the seller eventually via the courts.

Yes it will be easy to get the court to give you judgement against him. However this does not guarantee that you will get your money back. You need to be very careful who you sue as if its a company there will probably be no money left and if its him he'll probably say he hasn't got any as its all in his wife's name. The amount is probably such that will require a High Court action rather than a small claims court hearing. You will need to use a solicitor so use one with experience of debt collection and getting money out of crooks!

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just wondering if there is any update?

I don't know the ins and ours of this story, but I think it has a happy ending as they've just bought 'Dolly' the Rapido.

The dealer is up in court in the next month or so, the police keep us informed regularly and I will post the result on here.
We don't hold out any hope that we will get a penny back and we've written it off so to speak...

We have moved on and bought dolly the Rapido from a funster on here and are now in the process of putting our own stamp on her and which progress will be duly noted on the forum.

One good thing from the stolen motorhome is that it taught us what we needed and how to do it properly.... Albeit an expensive one...

We've move on and only good times ahead...:party2::france::france::cheers::Grin::sun:

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes it will be easy to get the court to give you judgement against him. However this does not guarantee that you will get your money back. You need to be very careful who you sue as if its a company there will probably be no money left and if its him he'll probably say he hasn't got any as its all in his wife's name. The amount is probably such that will require a High Court action rather than a small claims court hearing. You will need to use a solicitor so use one with experience of debt collection and getting money out of crooks!

I couldn't put it better myself....(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There was, some years ago, a little guy in Thailand, who would "solve" issues of this sort for $5000-00 and an Air fare?.:whistle:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I hope if the fraudsters start another company or go to work for another dealer we will all be informed. Perhaps if they do we could arrange a meet outside on a busy trading day

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I hope if the fraudsters start another company or go to work for another dealer we will all be informed. Perhaps if they do we could arrange a meet outside on a busy trading day

Ohh he is still trading...! Yes he has to make a living the police said...:mad:

I can't now, but will post details of him after the case....

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Something not right here, i was talking to the AA about a having a Vehicle checked for outstanding HP, or a stolen vehicle, check etc and they guarantee up to £30,000.00 in payment if a error was made and the vehicle is taken away, i don’t know about the .Gov web site they AA charge about £28.00 i think they said with the guarantee of up to two years if its taken away by the police or finance company, you say you used .GOV they should have had all the answers as well, without the guarantee payback of course,

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Something not right here, i was talking to the AA about a having a Vehicle checked for outstanding HP, or a stolen vehicle, check etc and they guarantee up to £30,000.00 in payment if a error was made and the vehicle is taken away, i don’t know about the .Gov web site they AA charge about £28.00 i think they said with the guarantee of up to two years if its taken away by the police or finance company, you say you used .GOV they should have had all the answers as well, without the guarantee payback of course,

We did an HPI check, the Reg and vin no' we gave them all checked out ok... Which of course was the donor van.... The real Reg of the stolen van we obviously didn't have..... If we did it would have been a completely different story.... HPI can only give you a response with the information you supply them, they did their job.... No come back for them....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back