We are about to take the plunge... well almost (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer S
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

We are ex tin tenters. Well quite a while ago now but we enjoyed it and so did our boys, until they decided they didn't anymore. So the caravan went.

A couple of years ago we borrowed a motorhome for the season and loved it. (no more towing) However it was a coachbuit Bessacar and for me it was too big.

We decided we would buy our own. I wanted a campervan. My wife said too small, no toilet compartment and too enclosed for the British weather. So we settled on a PVC. That was just the beginning. Never mind which Manufacturer. First we have to decide on a layout and that is proving much more difficult than it appears. Front Lounge, Rear Lounge or the Continental fixed rear bed and front dinette approach. All have their pro's & cons. So the search begins.........at Peterborough.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Big decision - don't rush it. Layout is probably the most important factor in choosing a motorhome................ I know, we are currently on our 4th in 4 years!!!!!

And,
Welcome Animated Emoticon.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Good luck. The shows are good and its worth visiting any local dealers too. The more you look at the better idea you'll get about what you want. We used autotrader to see what was for sale locally once we knew what we were after. We decided on the ideal layout for us fairly quickly and have no regrets 4years and 30,000 miles later.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Good luck, we too started out thinking we wanted a pvc.... We now love out 7.4m Hymer!
There is a lovely adria for sale on here, have you seen that?
Sorry can't do link in France on intermittent signal.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Lots of information and advice on here, well worth subscribing especially when you are looking to start out.

:welc:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Good luck! Layout is all important so don't rush into anything.

Also make sure you have enough seat belts (Grandchildren???? or the kids might decide it is cool again, our 30 year old daughter comes with us when she can get time off work). Also make sure you have enough payload.

I prefer driving a larger vehicle so don't let size put you off!!! We are onto our 4th motorhome in over 20 years, it's gone from a self converted Toyota Hiace to a massive Hymer (8 or 9 m) to a 6m Chausson and now we have a 7m SunLiving (Adria). All did what they were supposed to at the time :) The Chausson was fine for two people but we wanted more space in the dinette / lounge - which is what the SunLiving has :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3:

We're fans of PVCs, having had a coachbuilt previously; and like you - going back in the realms of time - caravans and tents too!

As others have mentioned, layout is important. And deciding depends to some extent how you are going to use the van. Mostly staying on sites for a few days at a time in the UK, or touring on the continent, for example.

In my opinion, PVCs travel at speed better than many coachbuilts. And can get you into places that would be more challenging in a bigger van. But everybody has their own views.

A good night's sleep is critical for us, so we've got twin fixed beds at the back of our Rapido, which can be converted into a giant double. And a half-dinette at the front with swivel cab seats - works perfectly for us.

Whatever you choose have FUN! :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Layout, layout, layout! We have a coachbuilt Bessacarr, 7.0m , and love it.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
........All did what they were supposed to at the time :) ........

I like that comment as it sums up my prior ownership. I'm on to my 3rd van and changed as our/my needs changed and not because we made the wrong choices at the time.

Bessie was for four of us, Bolero for two and the Kingham for one (plus hound) :D

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@DoctorDark A warm welcome from the NE.

I've owned 2 coach builds, which were great at the time, with loads of space for our needs.

I have just taken ownership of my first PVC and have spent the day loading it with 'essentials' from my last van. I have thinned out the 'essentials' that my wife and I were carrying, roughly by half.

It struck me this afternoon, that although my PVC is for solo bachelor travels and has loads of space & storage for me and my dog, that my estranged wife would have felt very restricted by it, if we were both using it.
There are many couples on here that PVCs work perfectly for, but others would be too cramped. You need to know into which camp you and your wife fit best (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back