Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Seems to be many different types of water tanks available?

I won't be using this water tank for drinking water, just washing up and showering.

Is there any reason a cheap baffled plastic one won't be okay? Please and thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
CAK tanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The tank in ours is a curious design but it works well. It's about 12" square and about 36" long but it isn't mounted horizontally, but vertically. So it's really 36" high and is mounted in a corner, accessed from the rear doors. It is therefore inside the vehicle so has some frost protection. The most curious feature is the outlet isn't at the bottom but comes out of the top, an internal pipe obviously reaches down to the bottom of the tank. The Whale water pump has no problem drawing the water up to prime itself. The tank can be drained through a tap which protrudes through the floor.
There are 4 electric sensors which measure the water level, triggering led lights to give a rough indication of how much is left.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
No reason so long as nobody in the future presumes it is certified safe for potable water

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Going to have a smaller chilled tank for drinking water. Plus I don't want to drink water I've filled from a random hosepipe at a garage ect.
We never drank from our tank either and just had a five litre food grade water container. We learned our lesson filling up from questionable sources but this was outside the UK, never had a problem here but that isn't to say it couldn't happen.

This year I fitted a 3M water filter which gives filtration down to half a micron. This won't remove all the bugs but about 99% of them which should be enough. It doesn't remove bad taste from water as we found in France but I'm not sure anything short of some sort of industrial water plant can. :)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Going to have a smaller chilled tank for drinking water. Plus I don't want to drink water I've filled from a random hosepipe at a garage ect.
I thought you were going to say I don't want to drink water when I can drink beer.....lol

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Sorry if I've asked this before, pretty sure I have but can't find it.

My water tank has a 3/4" Bsp female outlet.

I'm about to buy a shurflo trail king 10...
Amazon product ASIN B006J7OUEU
I've tried looking on other sites but I cannot find anywhere what fixing the pump has on the inlet and outlet.

Im going to have one of these between the tank and the pump... <Broken link removed>
And its got threaded inlets and outlets for 1/2" pipe.
I remember being told to use JG pipe fittings. So do I just need 1/2" screw fit to push fit for 13mm pipe? And then a 3/4" screwfit to 1/2" push fit out the tank.....

And any info on the shurflo pump?

Hope that, makes sense

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry, only half reading. thought you'd mentioned speedfit fittings. My mistake

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Yes I was, John Guest speedfit. Just struggling to find a 3/4" male BSP to 1/2" push fit. Think I'll have to use an additional reducer instead.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are very fussy about drinking water and use an insulated 10 litre container. No water goes in there unless the tap has been cleaned and run first, then tasted.

years ago we had foul tasting water out of the tap from the house we were in at the time. I said it tasted like bath water and soapy. the guy from the water board that came out said it's impossible, so drank a mouthful from a nice clean glass. He promptly puked in the kitchen sink. A week later the drive was dug up for a new water main and we found a collapsed drain and a rotten iron water pipe. Sewage water was back flowing into the water main.

since then, we have been very fussy and won't drink water from petrol forecourts, cemeteries and anywhere you might get contamination

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
shurflo comes with a scre on 1/2" barb on inlet and outlet . the inline filter just screws straight to pump inlet and the 1/2" hose barb connector just screws onto inline filter inlet . HTSH . I have two CAK tanks for fresh water , but with barb outlets , breather fill etc . They include fitting outlets in price . Found them very helpful . when I popped in . They have a wide range of taps , reducers connectors pipe etc .

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes I was, John Guest speedfit. Just struggling to find a 3/4" male BSP to 1/2" push fit. Think I'll have to use an additional reducer instead.
standard bath tap connector is 3/4 bsp to 15mm

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
HOLY MOLASSES!!!

Trying to get one made to fit a specific area.
2300 long, 450 wide, 350 high..

Plastic tank quotes came in at....

£1600
£950

Stainless Steel tank came in at....

£450

Am i missing something?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Is there a particular reason for choosing a diaphragm pump?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Is there a particular reason for choosing a diaphragm pump?
Had good reviews and seemed like a good quality known brand..... Any particular reason you asked??

Don't tell me its crap ? already had to send the tanks back ?

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
I got in contact with Shaun at Barrat tanks http://www.tank.me/ and he is very good as long as you can wait 5-6 weeks. Let him know what you want, how you want it and why and he will happily give you suggestion, move around connections etc.

I'm also running a Shurflo (10) pump and it seems fine so far but when I get the shower in, that will be the test.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I honestly would bin the idea of bespoke tanks. Fit 1 or 2 standardised tanks to fit the space linked together. Should the tank/s become contaminated or damaged, it would be a simple next day order for replacements rather than wait weeks for them to be built

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
multiple smaller tanks would also comply with the need for tank baffles in a huge tank. That mass of water slopping from side to side may even affect handling. Fitting baffles prevents this

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
If was me I'd be doing what TheBig1 suggested.

These 125 Litre tanks are 460mm wine, 290mm high and 1100mm long. They are £89 each plus £22 delivery :)

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
I had two identical tanks to those, From a local company and they were abit poo (fittings i asked to have placed where all over the shop)

It really annoyed me!

I just thought I'd inquire into an exact fit.

I can't understand how the SS tank came in at 450 when half of that is the cost of the material.

And cheap plastic £1600!!!

Me no understand.

I will order those tanks Wissel

Still waiting for my refund on the others ?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I had two identical tanks to those, From a local company and they were abit poo (fittings i asked to have placed where all over the shop)

It really annoyed me!

I just thought I'd inquire into an exact fit.

I can't understand how the SS tank came in at 450 when half of that is the cost of the material.

And cheap plastic £1600!!!

Me no understand.

I will order those tanks Wissel

Still waiting for my refund on the others ?
Going for one of their's myself (the upright 125 Litre as will fit against bed bulkhead, between wheel arches, in dead space). I know van builders that have fitted them and happy with them.

Also checked and these tanks can be drilled to add more fittings where needed (I want an overflow). They offer this service before dispatched, but happy with plumbing so chose to do myself :)

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Your full timing? Im worried about having to fill up constantly!
I've already explained to her we'll have to shower together... Ooh err

How long do you think 125l will last you?

I did some Math. 8lpm shower head for 5 mins a day plus washing up and stuff. I estimate about 45l a day ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Had good reviews and seemed like a good quality known brand..... Any particular reason you asked??

Don't tell me its crap ? already had to send the tanks back ?
No it's fine. It wasn't the make I was querying but the type. There appears to be a perception amongst tuggers and motorhome owners that the diaphragm pumps are better / more sophisticated / more reliable - some thing I've not found. Ignoring the technology & simply looking at what they do a diaphragm pump offers a much lower flow rate and very much more noisy operation. It takes up room in that it needs its own dedicated space and, depending on plumbing, may need the tank drained to swap out if it's faulty. Either type will work with a pressure or tap switched system. The in tank pump is also cheaper and, if necessary, can be swapped out if it fails on holiday by any cheapo you can find. An excellent pump of this type is the Reich twin. About the only negative I can think of is that access to the top of the tank via a reasonable size cap is needed to fit a drop-in pump.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back