Apr 20, 2019
Bexleyheath
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
New to being on my own and needing to do things I never have before, so I need help
The water tank doesn’t seem to want to fill.
I have a whale hose fitting. It seems to fill a bit then I can’t get any more in. The motorhome says it’s full 25%. Do I need to have the water tank fill option switched on on the control panel? It doesn’t seem to make any difference and switches back to off on its own. Could the hose fitting be faulty?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I can't assist unfortunately as I just stick a hose in the filler neck and turn the tap on.
But if you give the make model and year it will help others with similar models who'll be along soon.
Manufacturers do seem to make life complicated

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Hi and welcome.

I have not used a Whale hose fitting but if you think it may be faulty you could stick the hose straight in the filler without it and just wait till the tank overflows. That way you should know it is full, if the gauge still reads 25% it could perhaps be a faulty gauge. Again I don’t know much about a water tank fill option on the panel but some motorhomes have a 25% fill position for travelling with a reduced load so perhaps a valve has stuck in this position, if it has I would expect water to overflow beneath the motorhome.

What motorhome have you got? Someone with the same make and model might know what is going on.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi
New to being on my own and needing to do things I never have before, so I need help
I have a whale hose fitting. It seems to fill a bit then I can’t get any more in. The motorhome says it’s full 25%. Do I need to have the water tank fill option switched on on the control panel? It doesn’t seem to make any difference and switches back to off on its own. Could the hose fitting be faulty?
Welcome! :)
As suggested, just stick a hose pipe into the filler and see if you can get any more water in. The gauge might be faulty. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
On mine there is a link to the tank level gauge so that it shuts off when full. What I've found when there's someone moving around inside the van is it causes the water to slosh around and so trips the control on and off. You can hear the relay clicking away.

Ultimately it fills but it puts a strain on the hose fittings. I just turn the mains water tap down to ease this.

Maybe the control or relay are broken.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lesleyjh

Lesleyjh

Free Member
Apr 20, 2019
Bexleyheath
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks so far
I can’t stick. Hose in as I only have a whale hose fitting
The motorhome is an autosleeper Nuevo ES 2011

Upvote 0

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
Aha, mine is an Auto Sleepers Burford Duo.

For now can't you take the Whale plug and just aim it into the normal hose filling point. You might need the black fitting to keep the valve open; it looks like a Hozelock connector with a bit out the side.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You cannot rely on the gauges as they get their input from sensors in the tank that are notoriously unreliable. Most of us have a petrol tank like filler and we just us a hose or watering can. Yours was designed by an ardent caravanners who expected you to carry an Aquaroll round with you and an external pump to pump it into your water system. Miles to complicated. If you get stuck anytime you can fill the tank from inside by undoing the inspection lid on the tank. Think you will have to look at how others have solved the problem.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

Water gauges are notorious for being inaccurate and playing up.
have you taken the inspection cap off and check how much water is actually in the tank?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
:welco:

Water gauges are notorious for being inaccurate and playing up.
have you taken the inspection cap off and check how much water is actually in the tank?
The last Autosleeper I tried to help with a problem didn’t have an inspection cap on the waste water and I am guessing the fresh water is the same. Inspection caps may be something we owners of German motorhomes take for granted but not sure about UK ones.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
From what I remember... it's been a while... the system is fully electronic and has two pumps, external (superfil) for filling from an aqua roll or similar and internal (inline booster pump)... you need to make sure you've selected the correct one on the panel. It's also tends to be a two person job as the panel tends to switch itself off after a short period as the filling process on the A/S and Bailey's is so convoluted and slow (and a reason why so many with this set up go back on the forecourt) so you need one person in the van and one outside.

The internal pump is also governed by an inline pressure switch, any fluctuation in the water pressure whilst filling will turn everything off.

Using the the superfil, check the contacts on the van body and the block, if they're looking a little weather beaten give them a rub with the rough bit of a match box or a nail file/emery board.

Sorry but everything else is basically a garage job especially as the issue maybe air getting into the pipe joints and a full inspection maybe the only option.

The system was essentially designed for caravans without onboard holding tanks and many builders who construct both platforms use the same system to save money even though it's not really practical on a motorhome.

You then have switched (powered) taps to contend with and tap filters... which invariably clog.

This plumbing set up has always been a deal breaker for me regardless of what discounts are offered or the quality of the internal finish.

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I always lift seat open inspection cover when filling can see how full it is - still use exterior fill point just dont get airlocks now - watering can or hosepipe

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have had two MHs with the Whale systems, they were implemented differently, neither were an Auto-Trail so I can't be specific.
Suggestions:
1. ensure the connector is fully connected to the MH. Lift the flap fully to the vertical position, insert the connector, if its fully home you will be able to lower the flap to the horizontal position. This will trap the connector so it remains connected. (lift the flap again to remove the connector when finished)
2. trace the pipe from the inside the MH to the tank, its probably in the cupboard or under a seat. See if there is a solenoid valve in the pipe this is the full implementation so that the hose can remain connected on site and the tank will refill automatically when to use water.
3. If a valve is fitted try emptying the tank and see if you can refill it, does it stop again at 25%?
Good luck and welcome.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Some systems have an option of just filling to 25% to just give enough water in the tank whilst en route. Could it be anything like this that has been enabled?

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Rube Goldberg machine. The art of making a very simple task as complicated as possible.

Rube_Goldberg's__Self-Operating_Napkin__(cropped).gif

You really would not have thought they could make filling a water tank so complicated. The solution is so simple. Watering can or hose.

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Our AS Kingham will only allow the Whale part to open and start filling when the electric is turned on. When the tank is full the valve should close, ours doesn’t do that bit quickly.

Ours often says the fresh tank is 25% full, when it isn’t.

Hope that’s of some help

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
Hi

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
I have a Autosleeper Burford and I had the same problem,The cause was in the filler connector under the cooker there is a very fine wire filter that blocks up,its easy to rectify but awkward to get at.Wherever yours is it will be directly behind the filling point.all the connections are push fit so easy to dismantle just make sure you put the 2 wire electrical connections back on the right way.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back