Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Is that a stability or a weight issue??
I'm sure it will be a weight issue as there is so little spare payload on modern vans.
I'm guessing but as the tank is so low it won't cause a problem with handling.
The Burstner tank doesn't have baffles but it's a strange shape and maybe it automatically baffles the water

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't understand your point. I'm trying to determine whether or not I have a suitable tank to cope with water sloshing around in it. If it's not suitable, I can mitigate any issues by not carrying water in it (or carrying very little).
You worry too much. ;)
Just try it to see if there are any issues.
I've read similar posts on here from the Worried Well (usually newcomers to motorhomes) but I don't recall anyone reporting a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
When buying stuff for my van CAK tanks confirmed no baffles in their tanks, not sure if it’s relevant to HKF

Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You worry too much. ;)
Just try it to see if there are any issues.
I've read similar posts on here from the Worried Well (usually newcomers to motorhomes) but I don't recall anyone reporting a problem.

I worry because I like to be proactive rather than reactive. Your suggestion to 'try it to see if there are any issues' doesn't sit well in my world. So, I try it and the tank bursts because a cheaper and thinner tank has been used to justify extra payload for the manufacturer. So, then I'm sat with a burst tank. Who's the winner there?? I'd rather mitigate that issue by finding out if it's a cheaper, thinner tank to start with and, therefore, travel with it empty and not have it burst at all.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When the motoh9me manual says not to travel with a full water tank and only 20 litrs or so its primarily to keep the weight of the van down below 3500kg be cause so many Van's are advertised now as 3500 but they dont allow for very much payload. Plastic tanks are plastic tanks and ate not usually made thin for weight reduction. I have never heard of a water tank busting due to sloshing about or filling it full.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I worry because I like to be proactive rather than reactive. Your suggestion to 'try it to see if there are any issues' doesn't sit well in my world. So, I try it and the tank bursts because a cheaper and thinner tank has been used to justify extra payload for the manufacturer. So, then I'm sat with a burst tank. Who's the winner there?? I'd rather mitigate that issue by finding out if it's a cheaper, thinner tank to start with and, therefore, travel with it empty and not have it burst at all.
Have you ever heard of anyones watertank bursting?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have you ever heard of anyones watertank bursting?
No. But who knows what they are fitting now. They will do anything to save weight, like sell you a £70k van with just one 70AH lead acid battery within.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No. But who knows what they are fitting now. They will do anything to save weight, like sell you a £70k van with just one 70AH lead acid battery within.
Is that to save weight or money for them? I am always amazed at the crap fixtures and fittings the big constructors use in vans, plastic hinges, taps made in plastic and chromed to look like metal with crappy nylon joints that wear out with a couple of years etc etc.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As had mine. I've turned the tank through 90 degrees (nothing to do with the tank itself). No issues before or since.
I have the transverse double over the garage and the tank sits across the forward bulkhead of the garage

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have the transverse double over the garage and the tank sits across the forward bulkhead of the garage
Mine's in the same place. I've turned it to make room for an electrics panel in front of the tank instead of to one side of it next to the battery.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
No, but then I'm new to MoHo-ing so doesn't really prove anything.
As you say new to motorhoming and you have your concerns.
However the more experienced Funsters are only trying to put your mind at rest so you are better abled to actually njoy your van.
I am sure no malice is intended by anyone. 👍👍👍

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Don’t worry too much. You could start a poll Have you ever had a water tank fail In normal use. Yes or No. I’d bet the yes column would be empty or as good as.

I have. A split near a fitting. Welded it back together using various bits of plastic waste and a soldering iron.

• Informative
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I didn’t even know what baffles were so I’ve learnt something new today, always a good thing. Unfortunately I will now be wondering what bit of knowledge fell out to make room. I can understand HKF worrying after a run of things going wrong , it knocks your confidence. Sarky comments don’t help at all as you sort of know you might be over planning and looking for every possible problem but for some of us it helps until you’ve had a run of things going smoothly and got your confidence back. Fortunately most Funsters are very helpful indeed.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I didn’t even know what baffles were so I’ve learnt something new today, always a good thing. Unfortunately I will now be wondering what bit of knowledge fell out to make room. I can understand HKF worrying after a run of things going wrong , it knocks your confidence. Sarky comments don’t help at all as you sort of know you might be over planning and looking for every possible problem but for some of us it helps until you’ve had a run of things going smoothly and got your confidence back. Fortunately most Funsters are very helpful indeed.

My 210 litre tank is baffled. I thought that was large enough to be worth specifying, especially as I often run it half full (210 litres is too much for a weekend and I don't want to waste any).

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Quite agree, Carolyn - sneering replies are just totally unnecessary when a genuine question is asked

• Love It

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My 210 litre tank is baffled. I thought that was large enough to be worth specifying, especially as I often run it half full (210 litres is too much for a weekend and I don't want to waste any).
What actual shape is it? Tall and long or a fat underslung type?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What actual shape is it? Tall and long or a fat underslung type?

It is tall and long, but not particularly wide. It is onboard, as is the grey tank, as I wanted something pretty winterised. The shower has an underslung sump with a bilge pump into the onboard grey tank. The grey is only about 65 litres, as it is much easier to get rid of grey water than fill fresh. It fits underneath the bed, matching height of the CRX80 fridge.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Was the same advice also issued in respect of grey, and black tanks ? It's all moving at the same velocity.
Mike.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Don’t worry too much. You could start a poll Have you ever had a water tank fail In normal use. Yes or No. I’d bet the yes column would be empty or as good as.
If in the yes column ….it wasn’t just the column that was empty 😂

Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Why not just contact Benimar? I am sure that faced with the question "is it safety/handling or a potential weight issue" you would get a definitive answer, worth an email!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back