Water shortage (1 Viewer)

Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
We are looking forward to 3 months away in our motorhome. I can see a potential problem though. It looks as if camp sites will be fully booked this summer so getting fresh water for our tank. My idea was to get a couple of big water bottles and buy a submersible pump to pump it to our tank. Does anyone do this or is there a better way.
Thanks Rob and odette

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used to do it on our last van. It only had a I00 Lt tank so we carried two full 20 Lt containers in the garage. Fitted a Hella socket in the garage to plug the pump into.
Current van has a 160 Lt tank so we don't bother as we can last 4/5 days a lot longer if we miss a few showers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
Thanks for your reply. Do you have to submerse it in the water bottle?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thanks for your reply. Do you have to submerse it in the water bottle?
Can’t you just pour the water in from a bottle. I sometimes use a 10l watering can and 10l water container and just pour in the watering can then pour the container into the watering can and pour in again.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Exp
Since 2003
If you are a member of say C C Club I thought you could empty/fill at there sites for a small fee or not?
Sadly not. They stopped this last year and have continued into this year. Whilst it doesn’t seem like much of a risk, the “service“ paid for included access to all site services including launderettes and showers etc.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The OP will still have to empty it or them somewhere at some point though.

1618384371830.png

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are looking forward to 3 months away in our motorhome. I can see a potential problem though. It looks as if camp sites will be fully booked this summer so getting fresh water for our tank. My idea was to get a couple of big water bottles and buy a submersible pump to pump it to our tank. Does anyone do this or is there a better way.
Thanks Rob and odette

My water inlet is a standard quick release hose fitting. You can't pour water in, but it is very convenient for hose filling. I have a submersible pump to do water transfer when you can't drive up to a tap. I also have a 25 litre water tank to transfer the water from the tap. You could use a collapsible bucket if you didn't mind making lots of trips (the main tank is 210 litres).

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a funnel and 2 x 5L rigid water carriers (the one shown on the right), easily carried with one in each hand as they 'balance' you as you walk, alternatively if we were on site with a distance to walk we'd have a trolley and use 2 x 10L rigid containers instead (ignore the collapsible one shown as they are a PITA to pour from without getting a soaking as they are like trying to wrestle a jellyfish!). Of course you can use a pump to put the water in but its so quick and easy with the funnel we don't bother.

Water - funnel 1.JPG
water - carriers.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bit late on this thread, but yeah I have two twenty ltr drums under the seat and pump it in with a submersible pump same as someone else said.
Saying that we don't use it very often, you can useually find water somewhere.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We use a funnel and 2 x 5L rigid water carriers (the one shown on the right), easily carried with one in each hand as they 'balance' you as you walk, alternatively if we were on site with a distance to walk we'd have a trolley and use 2 x 10L rigid containers instead (ignore the collapsible one shown as they are a PITA to pour from without getting a soaking as they are like trying to wrestle a jellyfish!). Of course you can use a pump to put the water in but its so quick and easy with the funnel we don't bother.

However, not all water inlets are suitable for pouring. My inlet accepts hose fittings. It is installed below the level of the water in the tank, so requires positive pressure to fill, so even making up an adapter would not be possible.
1618394063058.png

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Has anyone found a collapsible water container with a neck that will accept a submersible pump? Our Stargazer doesn't have a garage so I'm reluctant to make room for 20 litres of fresh air for very occasional use.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
However, not all water inlets are suitable for pouring. My inlet accepts hose fittings. It is installed below the level of the water in the tank, so requires positive pressure to fill, so even making up an adapter would not be possible.
View attachment 484871
Yes, one reason why we would never buy a MH with one fitted ... we did ask the dealer about a PVC many years ago that we were thinking of buying which had one if it could be changed and were told no so it was crossed off the list (we could probably have sorted it ourselves but when buying a new MH you shouldn't need to especially when there were other contenders that didn't have this restriction).

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Has anyone found a collapsible water container with a neck that will accept a submersible pump? Our Stargazer doesn't have a garage so I'm reluctant to make room for 20 litres of fresh air for very occasional use.
You can buy slimline water pumps so might find one that will go into a standard collapsible container if you can't find a wide-necked container.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, one reason why we would never buy a MH with one fitted ... we did ask the dealer about a PVC many years ago that we were thinking of buying which had one if it could be changed and were told no so it was crossed off the list (we could probably have sorted it ourselves but when buying a new MH you shouldn't need to especially when there were other contenders that didn't have this restriction).

That's personal choice, though. Mine is self-converted. I wanted the hose connection as that is how I normally fill. I didn't want to mount it high enough for gravity feed as it would have been ugly and hard to reach. The tank is fully onboard for winterisation, so mounted relatively high.

I find a hose connection much less effort than transporting water by hand. The submersible pump is just for emergencies. No need to even pack it for most trips, as 200 litres should see you through a weekend, and the vast majority of campsites can contrive to get a tap within reaching distance of a vehicle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back