Water Level Float And Gauge. (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Seeking advice from the electrical minded out there please.

I've installed a water level sender unit like this,
And a gauge like this

All wired up correctly but only says half full on the gauge when the tank is full and float is right at the top of its slider.

Am I missing something?
Do I need to calibrate the gauge? Can't see how though.

Thanks

Shawn

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It seems fairly short from the pic. If it only starts to read when the tank is half full then it will only see the increase from half full to full - in other words half the total contents. Or maybe it isn't as it appears.

Edit: I've just followed the link. Your water level must be vitally important to you 😳.

As a start what does it do when you operate it by hand out of the tank? Does it reach all the way to the bottom when installed?

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It seems fairly short from the pic. If it only starts to read when the tank is half full then it will only see the increase from half full to full - in other words half the total contents. Or maybe it isn't as it appears.

Edit: I've just followed the link. Your water level must be vitally important to you 😳.

As a start what does it do when you operate it by hand out of the tank? Does it reach all the way to the bottom when installed?

Thanks for replying. The link is not to the one I've got, Ours is 500mm in length. Yes it does reach to the bottom, about 10mm from bottom of tank. Slider moves freely up and down. No I haven't tried it out of water so will do that tomorrow. I've two gauges and tried both and they do the same.

Thanks.

Shawn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Wild guess, short of seeing a manual or circuit diagram - have you got a 24V version that you're operating at 12V?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As you say the links are not the actual sender and the gauge you bought, then to me it sounds like you have a mis-match on the impedance between the sender and the gauge.
Are the sender and the gauge by the same manufacturer ?

Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
shawn&emma Just a thought - if the sliding magnet has been off the tube (i think it is only prevented from coming off the bottom by the small filter) it has to go on the correct way up or will read incorrectly. I have known these yo be assembled wrongly from new. Hope you sort it.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As you say the links are not the actual sender and the gauge you bought, then to me it sounds like you have a mis-match on the impedance between the sender and the gauge.
Are the sender and the gauge by the same manufacturer ?

Yes same manufacturer and linked to each other as a pair on their website.

The gauge is a Veethree fuel level gauge. Maybe that I need to contact them directly.

Shawn

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Yes same manufacturer and linked to each other as a pair on their website.

The gauge is a Veethree fuel level gauge. Maybe that I need to contact them directly.

Shawn
You just said it’s a fuel gauge!
The thread says water gauge, surely the liquids are a different viscosity!
Could that be the problem.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Umm... you're not really helping by giving us the wrong links to the bits of kit you actually have. If you've got a Wema sender, like this one, then it probably has a 0-190R output. If you've got a Veethree gauge, like this one, then it requires a 33-240R sender, so the two are incompatible.

However, showing half-range for a max-level float is a red flag. Check that you haven't installed a couple of resistors as a voltage divider for use with a 24V system. Wema's webpage for the gauge you linked to shows an 'extra curcuit for 24V' which you should check for.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Water level gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Ours only ever reads 3/4 full even when you’ve just filled it up. I can see the water level on our tank. Much more accurate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back