Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG
The dreaded sight of water leaking inside the van happened at the weekend.
We were away in the van over the weekend and woke up on Sunday morning to see the above. Water seeping from under the bathroom wall.
So, we drained the system and made tracks home and contacted the dealer first thing this morning. Now booked in for 24th November.
The van is only 2 months old!
We are so disappointed. I know these things happen, but now going to be without the van for a few weeks.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
:( Sorry to hear about the problem..
Is it a Watertrail ? I mean Autotrail...!!!

Strange in a PVC so assume its a leak from the fresh water system unlike the coachbuilt that can leak from lots of places..
Have you checked any water pipe connections in case one has come apart.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
taste it to see if its fresh water or soapy to rule out shower tray or sink waste

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Is it coming from the pipes under the seat were the batteries are kept.
Mine was like that .just the connections not pushed together enough.
Laurie

Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I have experienced water like yours but it turned out to be condensation from the framework on the fridge we have a switch to actually heat the framework up to stop it. But in this country I wouldn't think it's been hot enough unless you had your heating up really high.
All input helps right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
View attachment 194736
View attachment 194733 The dreaded sight of water leaking inside the van happened at the weekend.
We were away in the van over the weekend and woke up on Sunday morning to see the above. Water seeping from under the bathroom wall.
So, we drained the system and made tracks home and contacted the dealer first thing this morning. Now booked in for 24th November.
The van is only 2 months old!
We are so disappointed. I know these things happen, but now going to be without the van for a few weeks.

"I know these things happen......."

THEY DAMN WELL SHOULDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People pay an absolute fortune for these things, and get crappy "that'll do" "they'll not see it" "bodge it as cheap as poss" in return from too many converters.

A new motorhome SHOULD WORK. PERFECTLY. EVERY TIME.
Companies who are incapable of achieving that quality standard should be put out of business.

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Tonia, yes, its an Auto-Trail V-Line 635SE.
Think it is related to the fresh water system, as only seeps through when the pump is on and the system fully pressurised, and it is fresh water that is seeping through.
Unfortunately cannot check the connections as they seem to be behind the built in walls/tray, so looks like the bathroom will have to be taken out to access things.
We have noticed that the shower tap which is located halfway up the wall, does actually leak slightly when not being used, so this could well be the problem.
Really gutted at the moment, loving every minute of the new toy, and now its got the one big problem that we all hope won't raise its ugly head!!

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I had a leak every time I took the motorhome out for the first few months.
Each time it was joints just not fitted right.
If your van is facing up hill it will run out were yours is.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Why do motorhomes always seem to use push fit connectors for water pipes? It seems to me to be a fine recipe for leakage!!

For example, the drain from our fresh water tank was all rigid push fit to the tank, push fit to a right angle, push fit to a tap, then push fit to another right angle (down this time) to the push fit pipe through the floor - what a recipe for a constantly wet floor!!! It is now all clamped and sealed together, and the final bend/pipe through the floor is a flexible pipe bend such that, when the 100kg water tank moves (it is 'secured' with four 5cm woodscrews) a little, the pipework flexes, rather than coming apart, and leaking!!

I suppose it's all a matter of cost, but when a Motorhome costs as much as it does new, you would think that leaky pipes would be unlikely!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree, it's a leaking water supply pipe and probably only take seconds to sort. But they can be a b-----d to trace! Hope all sorted soon.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
really feel your pain, but as already said above I think the 4 week wait to even look is almost as bad as the leak in the first place, which could be bad luck, four week wait is bad service IMO :((y)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Am really sorry to hear of your problems with a new van and really hope you get the problems fixed asap.

Can they not look at it sooner, for a 2 month old van to now be out of action for another month us shocking

People pay an absolute fortune for these things, and get crappy "that'll do" "they'll not see it" "bodge it as cheap as poss" in return from too many converters.

Nearly a month for a "repair" slot on a new van ? That is simply disgraceful in all ways . I would bet good money that you didnt need to wait a month to speak to a salesman when you walked in to their premises with a fist full of cash to purchase the vehicle.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I had same problem with an Auto sleeper PVC (new), because of where it was didn't notice it for a couple of months, needed to go back to Auto sleeper for new units. It was one of the push fit connector that hadn't been properly fitted.

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Am really sorry to hear of your problems with a new van and really hope you get the problems fixed asap.

Nearly a month for a "repair" slot on a new van ? That is simply disgraceful in all ways . I would bet good money that you didnt need to wait a month to speak to a salesman when you walked in to their premises with a fist full of cash to purchase the vehicle.
Yes, agree. We weren't overly happy with the length of wait, especially as its a water leak, and can cause more possible damage by not getting it sorted asap.
May well get on the phone to Auto-Trails HO in Grimsby in the morning.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Yes, agree. We weren't overly happy with the length of wait, especially as its a water leak, and can cause more possible damage by not getting it sorted asap.

Good on you , I would be knocking doors as well . Its simply too easy for companies to just casually let clients wait ridiculous amounts of time for sometimes quite basic stuff. On reading (some) company attitudes on this and other forums , its for all the world as if some companies really believe they are doing customers a favour by even doing deals with them. I wish you well and hope you get this sorted soon.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry to hear about your problem. You’ve already had a few suggestions,that seem plausible,but you shouldn’t have to wait more than a few days to get it sorted.
It’s a great shame that new,expensive, motorhomes suffer from these problems.
Fact is...none of the makers or suppliers seem to give a monkeys. More buyers than sellers.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

The customer service has improved up at AT.. my van has been in 3 times. One it was a day job so I waited. The other 2 times had to leave it for a week plus and mess about catching several trains back home. Stingy buggers never offered a penny for fuel, transport costs or anything...
Last year I had a small leak on a window found on the hab check. They offered me a loan van and to give me a full tank of fuel. However as the job was quite small I took it to an approved repair agent just 2 miles away..

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear about your woes - I fully agree with the sentiments of the other posters on this thread. Very disappointing.

However, it doesn't necessarily rule out using the van in the interim, prior to getting the dealer to sort out the problem. Just take some large bottles / containers of water and camp without the onboard plumbing. Inconvenient, yes - but not a deal-breaker if you stay at campsites.

Hope you get it sorted soon in any case.

Reactions: f6c

Jesterman

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
VC
Exp
Had the same issue on our 540se - if you remove the toilet cassette look to the right side and you see a red and blue water pipes - both will have push fit compression joints - give both a firm push inwards - hopefully that'll sort the issue !

Deleted User
We had an Auto trail V line sport, it has a few fixable problems when first arrived. Our dealer was useless, which turned out to be in our favour, they made a very stupid mistake on a really simple problem, a missing part of our kitchen. Because of the way they were dealing with the problem after two attempts to fix sending made up parts I contacted Auto Trail directly and refused to deal with the dealer again. AT were brilliant and immediately booked us to have the correct part fitted at their Grimsby factory. After that I always went direct to AT and things were sorted much quicker. We never had any water leaks so can't comment on water problems. One thing I did make clear though was our van was the only vehicle we had and therefore used daily as a vehicle. When our windows failed (a known problem) I contacted them and they immediately booked us in to have them replaced, initial date was about 5 weeks, I reminded them it was our only vehicle and in my opinion unsafe to drive, they then booked us in for the following week a wait of only 5 days. If your think the water problem could potentially get worse whilst using the van on a day to day basis they may fix it quicker. Even with your water drained & off, if there is loose water somewhere inside the shower walls/tray using the van could cause it to spread and cause further damage. As they are marketed as both a campervan and day van not being able to use it as a day van might be enough to get a quicker slot.

Lin :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Push fit connections will leak if the plastic pipe is cut cackhandedly, push them in a bit harder until they are solid against the stop

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back