Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We don't drink from our van .. weve got a longer hose .. about 10 metres and a 2 metre one. Don't think either are food grade.
We use bottled water for the dog (and us if we need fresh cold water)
You can only use food grade hose, hope the one you got has approval sdc(y)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you drink water, your insides go rusty!:rolleyes:
-
-
-
However! if you are Cornish it's OK! We got Stainless Steel (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I use a watering can and have ditched the hose, not sure if it's food safe though :)

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
All domestic water supplies has to be food safe ie No leaching of harmful chemicals or toxins, else we would still using lead pipe which was outlawed years ago!
My parents house had lead pipe as main supply from road so did the other 900 odd homes on the estate and are still being used .
The last house we lived in the main water supply pipe was put in 1960s was and still is asbestos.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
My parents house had lead pipe as main supply from road so did the other 900 odd homes on the estate and are still being used .
The last house we lived in the main water supply pipe was put in 1960s was and still is asbestos.

We have a well its not been used for domestic use for years, when we moved in 1978 the surveyor was concerned about the lead pipe,s that went up the wall into the attic. ( had to prove none of it was connected in the house ) In 81/82 the workshop was built the building inspector told us to take down the lead pipes or fill in the well "your not to have lead pipe going into a dwelling" (the well end was still connected) , so we cut the pipes off as we use the well to water the garden, Perhaps it was different then or certain area's :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've always used normal garden hoses to fill but get the anti-kink ones to make it easier to 'wrestle' them back into the bags!

We have a long one and a short one and depending on need will use either, or both joined together. When we fill we first wipe the tap outlet with a baby-wipe or the like to clean it, then attach the hose and let the water run through for 5-10 seconds to rinse out any bugs etc (this is necessary on both food grade and non-food grade hoses) we then fill up (make sure the inlet is clean!) and always empty out as much water as we can from the hoses afterwards.

We've never ever had a problem and drink the water from the tank.

We also have a couple of collapsible water carriers (20L with 2 handles on) and a couple of slimline rigid 5L ones, along with push on filler pipe to make it easier for when the tap is raised high up, we also have a funnel/pipe set-up to be able to poor the water into the camper easily. We tend to use these more than the hoses as it means we can top-up quickly and easily whenever we see water on aires etc rather than have to do it when it gets really low - especially important when we had a much smaller water tank of just 66L - the current one is 120L so we won't need to 'worry' about it so much!.

This is our kit - the black funnel has been replaced by the green one now (the spanner was for the gas!) and you can see the 2 handles on the 20L water carrier:

Hoses.JPG

funnel 1.JPG
funnel 2.JPG
funnel 3.JPG
20L water carrier.JPG

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Where did you get the food grade expandable hose please? Seen plenty about, but never food grade.
I can't remember Peter and it was only before Christmas that I threw the box away. I remember it being pricey, especially for the number of times that I've used it.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We've always used normal garden hoses to fill but get the anti-kink ones to make it easier to 'wrestle' them back into the bags!

We have a long one and a short one and depending on need will use either, or both joined together. When we fill we first wipe the tap outlet with a baby-wipe or the like to clean it, then attach the hose and let the water run through for 5-10 seconds to rinse out any bugs etc (this is necessary on both food grade and non-food grade hoses) we then fill up (make sure the inlet is clean!) and always empty out as much water as we can from the hoses afterwards.

We've never ever had a problem and drink the water from the tank.

We also have a couple of collapsible water carriers (20L with 2 handles on) and a couple of slimline rigid 5L ones, along with push on filler pipe to make it easier for when the tap is raised high up, we also have a funnel/pipe set-up to be able to poor the water into the camper easily. We tend to use these more than the hoses as it means we can top-up quickly and easily whenever we see water on aires etc rather than have to do it when it gets really low - especially important when we had a much smaller water tank of just 66L - the current one is 120L so we won't need to 'worry' about it so much!.

This is our kit - the black funnel has been replaced by the green one now (the spanner was for the gas!) and you can see the 2 handles on the 20L water carrier:

View attachment 94813

View attachment 94816 View attachment 94817 View attachment 94818 View attachment 94819

20l carrier looks good for trips to the fill your own container wine shops in France!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back