LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
always use food grade for fresh drinkable water. 2 10m lengths of hose with a coupler then you can adapt to the varying needs

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use a flat hose sold on a reel for use with boats - I got it at a chandlers. It is about 25m long and is long enough for almost every situation. Not cheap, £25 or a bit more but it takes up very little space.

Just run the water through the hose for 15 seconds or more before filling the tank and you don't need to use food grade tubing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I had a Brunner hose food grade on a reel which packed flat and could be used without unraveling it all from the reel.
It was crap.
Holiday was half over before the tank got filled.
I sold it on eBay.
I now have 10m of blue food grade hose and I've also got 30m of expandable hose which is also food grade rated and is ace. It expands on filling with water and collapses down so small when the tap is turned off that it will fit in a pirex bowl.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Why food grade? Isn't it contaminated the first time you use it? Is the plastic pipe to the tap food grade?
Any water you drink tends to be boiled first any way.
25 Mts good quality, non kinking hose.
Been using it for 25 years and I'm still KO?????

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we don't drink ours, so use a standard hose reel, 25 m I think, plus we have another shorter length and a male / male hozelock connector to join together, we have plenty of room though so space not a consideration

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We don't drink from our van .. weve got a longer hose .. about 10 metres and a 2 metre one. Don't think either are food grade.
We use bottled water for the dog (and us if we need fresh cold water)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry 3 hoses, all food grade. 2m, 8m and 20m. They can be joined together if necessary. We use the tank water for making tea etc, but will drink water directly from the tap on a site/aire rather than the tank which in any case tends to be tepid. Only rarely need to buy bottled water which we tend to avoid anyway because of its high cost, bacterial content and other toxins which can leach from the plastic bottle. (Not considered a health risk in most people but can be dangerous in the very young and old)

Take adequate precautions with site/aire taps as some people do disgusting things with them, including rinsing chemical loos.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Why food grade? Isn't it contaminated the first time you use it? Is the plastic pipe to the tap food grade?
Any water you drink tends to be boiled first any way.
25 Mts good quality, non kinking hose.
Been using it for 25 years and I'm still KO?????
Personal choice I suppose.
There's different chemicals used for the PVC in a typical garden hose to that of food grade/drinking water grade hose.
Most of which is flushed out on the first use (into the tank) but if any water is left in the coil between usage, some chemicals can leach out by osmosis.
Plus, there is a taste of plastic.
Those are the reasons I got food grade/drinking grade.
As for the pipe to the tap - that would depend on who's fit it. If it was a reputable motorhome manufacturer within the past ten years or so, I'd say yes. Same as the tank, same as the taps.
However, like you say, if you've been using it for the last 25yrs and you're ok, it's like smoking - each to their own.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We always use food grade, the boss cant taste it if we use garden hose but I can even if its boiled, she reckons Im just a fuss ass! :whistle:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Like many, we don't drink from the tank, so have a regular 10m hose which we got from Dyas, the advantage is, it is one of those that doesn't need to be fully extended to be used, unlike a flat hose (which it seems most food grade ones are).
We carry 3 5 litre bottles of drinking water in the van for consumption, this has proved more than effective for our needs.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How often do you clean and thoroughly dry the internal surface of your food grade hose ?

Water left in the hose will stagnate and harbour bacteria.

Food grade means it wont leach chemicals from the hose material, it doesnt mean its bug free.

I always use garden hose and havent suffered any ill effects in 9 years.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I now have 10m of blue food grade hose and I've also got 30m of expandable hose which is also food grade rated and is ace. It expands on filling with water and collapses down so small when the tap is turned off that it will fit in a pirex bowl.
Where did you get the food grade expandable hose please? Seen plenty about, but never food grade.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Just use the expandable wonder hose which basically looks like/is silicone. Having seen the black growth inside my previous food grade hose when not used for a while I prefer to change hose regularly. Don't drink the water direct from the tap anyway. Also the small space taken up by my expandable hose is a bonus in a PVC.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I attach a small submersible pump to one end of our hose, bucket of water with purex tablet in it. Put pump and other end of pipe in bucket and flush through for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a flet hose on a reel and shorter about 3m garden hose and find we only use the long one 2 or 3 times a year. Neither are food grade just let the water run a few seconds the contact time with the plastic is so short I can't believe it could do any harm. Would be interesting at a funster meet to have a blind tasting of water through the 2 types of hose I would be very suprised if there would be any difference and would like to challenge those who think they can to tell the difference!

Upvote 0
Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have a Nature Pure filter so don't worry about the type of hose used for filling and can drink the water from the tank with no problems.
Same for us!
We have a 10m hose - if thats not long enough we use the watering can!
We used to carry another longer hose to connect to make an extra long hose but didn't use it so its now in the shed :whistle:

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Why food grade hose? I don't think food grade hose is used to bring the water to the tap. Either in your own home or to the tap on sites etc. So just wondering why food grade is used for the last couple of metres?

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Why food grade hose? I don't think food grade hose is used to bring the water to the tap. Either in your own home or to the tap on sites etc. So just wondering why food grade is used for the last couple of metres?

Generally the pipe bringing water to your own home (at least in more modern homes) will be made of polyethylene which is classed as being food safe.

Some plastics leach chemicals more than others which is why not all of them are classed as food safe.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Used yellow garden hose 10m long for the last 14years and drink water from the tank boiled and cold never had any problems. And do anything from 80-180 nights a year.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use a flat hose on a reel with various adapters. We don't drink the MH tank water, it's used for washing, washing up & the loo. We have a nylon container for 'drinking' water, tea, dog, etc.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Generally the pipe bringing water to your own home (at least in more modern homes) will be made of polyethylene which is classed as being food safe.

Some plastics leach chemicals more than others which is why not all of them are classed as food safe.
But some old rural properties can still have lead pipe.
We have blue poly up to the stop tap in the garage, copper into the house with a 1-3/4" iron pipe riser to the cold storage in the loft.
The iron has been there since 1922 and must be full of all kinds of nasties.....but we dont suffer any ill effects.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
All domestic water supplies has to be food safe ie No leaching of harmful chemicals or toxins, else we would still using lead pipe which was outlawed years ago!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back