Warranty awareness (not impressed) (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
This is a bit of a rant to all the dealers out there who are super unhelpful
I will name them as it’s embarrassing to hear what they say.

We have a 22 model Adria camper and the main control panel (Schaudt LT150) £180 new has a fault the water levels has stopped working so I had a look and when my finger touched the rear of the panel circuit board it seemed to work so powers of deduction tell me there is a break in the circuit somewhere on the panel as my finger must have bridged the gap. So the panel has a fault.

I looked on the Adria website and found the nearest to me was Brownhills so rang and explained they said drive down and we can have a look but we can’t take a look for 12 weeks by that time my warranty has lapsed. His answer was sorry can’t help.

Next was highbridge where it came from originally as we are the second owner. The comment came after trying to get hold of someone for a week as they was on holiday was sorry can’t help you as the van isnt on our system in your name. Even though we are on their system as previous customers when we bought a caravan years ago.

After me getting annoyed unfortunately as some of the comments he made boiled my blood. As he was saying things like we can’t help as we have registered customers in front of you etc, we don’t get paid for warranty work. My view is don’t sell new vans with warranty then as the money these things cost new is madness

Anyway a company called Barnsdale said something that was helpful and that was send us your bill of sale we will change the vehicle into your name and send us some pictures and a video and we will register a claim with Adria, is that a common sense approach or am I missing something. I know you can’t do this for all faults as it may not be the device at fault it could be something different

My train of thought here is you buy a converted vehicle from a reputable manufacturer like Adria a decent vehicle then the dealers make a shed load of money and walk away when you need them so in my book they are miss selling a contract, just my views and others may find a different response. Worse case I buy a replacement out of my own non warranty pocket. Would like some views.

IMG_1136.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
It is a problem with a lot of Manufacturers & Dealers, a lot of German vans e.g. Hymer , Carthago etc., have a pan European warranty and you can go to any dealer in Europe. I've bought 3 Hymer's in Belgium I've had warranty work carried out in the UK & Germany, also our Belgium dealer has pointed out things we haven't noticed they are only too pleased to do warranty work.
Our last caravan was bought in Germany had warranty work carried out by the UK franchise, I remember talking to them they said it was part of the contract when they took on the franchise.
When I said to my German dealer about the situation regarding not carrying out warranty work in the UK he laughed, we fix any van he said, makes you wonder if they get better warranty rates than Uk dealers 🤔🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
It is a problem with a lot of Manufacturers & Dealers, a lot of German vans e.g. Hymer , Carthago etc., have a pan European warranty and you can go to any dealer in Europe. I've bought 3 Hymer's in Belgium I've had warranty work carried out in the UK & Germany, also our Belgium dealer has pointed out things we haven't noticed they are only too pleased to do warranty work.
Our last caravan was bought in Germany had warranty work carried out by the UK franchise, I remember talking to them they said it was part of the contract when they took on the franchise.
If you buy an RV in the states they have a massive network all over the country where you can go and sort out issues, we just don't have that privilege, shame really

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think that they had to do that Lenny as German vans have so much go wrong, so they need a robust dealer network, one in every town to allow people to travel

We used to call them "Collectors vans" drive down the road and run back to collect the pieces

I am of course just joking :laughing::laughing:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you buy an RV in the states they have a massive network all over the country where you can go and sort out issues, we just don't have that privilege, shame really
Again the scale is there.

Circa 12,000 new motorhomes registered in the UK tiny compared to Europe and insignificant compared to US sales

I have always had fantastic service from Winnebago, can't fault it

Thor of course own the Hymer group which may explain why Lenny gets good Hymer backup

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It was less than 12 months old so has the remaining manufacturers warranty left,
But you have a warranty with the supplying dealer that overrides that anyway, hence I asked what the supplying dealer said when you asked them about the fault

All we know so far is that you are not happy about Brownhills or Highbridge who truthfully are not responsible for your issue, but not the company that made the money when they sold you the motorhome?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
Again the scale is there.

Circa 12,000 new motorhomes registered in the UK tiny compared to Europe and insignificant compared to US sales

I have always had fantastic service from Winnebago, can't fault it

Thor of course own the Hymer group which may explain why Lenny gets good Hymer backup
agreed and also the issue is if these are sat on a fiat for example then its who takes the hit on warranty if for example your van window stops going up and down they could blame it on the black out blinds then you are in whole different blame world :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
But you have a warranty with the supplying dealer that overrides that anyway, hence I asked what the supplying dealer said when you asked them about the fault

All we know so far is that you are not happy about Brownhills or Highbridge who truthfully are not responsible for your issue, but not the company that made the money when they sold you the motorhome?
I have a feeling if they are authorised dealers on the Adria website then they are authorised repairers also or am I wrong,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
This tells me different or did I read it wrong, they seem to have a big Dealer network

Adria’s World Class Manufacturing (WCM) is a set of concepts, principles, policies and techniques for managing a manufacturing company. It is a process-driven approach where implementations involve many philosophies and techniques, from the automotive industry. You can visit our factory online on this website.

Adria products come with a class leading warranty and there is a professional dealer network of over 400 Adria dealers across Europe and beyond, backed up by a world-class parts supply operation. Details and locations of our dealer network can be found on this website.

REGISTERING FOR YOUR WARRANTY

We ask you to make sure, when you purchase your Adria vehicle, that your personal and contact details and your new vehicle are registered on our warranty system – by your Adria dealer at the point of purchase. This ensures we know who owns the vehicle and that we can get in touch should we need to. If you subsequently change address or contact details, or you decide to sell your vehicle then please inform your Adria dealer and have them change your details on the warranty system.

GENERAL WARRANTY CONDITIONS (SUMMARY).
The full warranty policy documents can be inspected at your authorized Adria Representative (Adria dealer) and you should be made familiar with them when purchasing your Adria vehicle.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It was less than 12 months old so has the remaining manufacturers warranty left,
I'm with Eddie on this if you're having problems getting it looked at the person to contact is the person who you gave your money to. It's them that should be doing the chasing and finding somewhere that will deal with the warranty issues if they can't they should pay for a repair. When they took your money they established a contract with you is Adria went bust the dealer you bought from carry the can for any repairs.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a feeling if they are authorised dealers on the Adria website then they are authorised repairers also or am I wrong,
They didn't refuse, they are just busy

You seem reluctant to tell us which dealer you bought it from and why you don't want to let them deal with it for you as your their customer and you will have a warranty with them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
Is that diagonal light patch a reflection, a lens artifact or actually visible on the board? If it is visible, then it may be more than a dry solder joint.
its just light mate

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well another thought could be that if the dealers are booked up for weeks in advance, too far in advance to meet your warranty deadline, their only option would be to inconvenience, and reschedule one of their customers appointments!
When in business if I was busy I worked longer , weeknds ,12 hour days , shift work & what I would expect from a busy dealer. If you are booked up forever & not working weekends to me you are not their for the customers.
I agree but what happens if you are travelling like these are intended are you stuck dealing with the originating supplier ? seems strange or a market for a chain of independents
Exactly . I always wonder what the poor ****s travelling in the Uk who need help , do? Apart from be recovered out of the place. What use is a guarantee that is only for "the dealer you bought it from " when you are usually 1500miles away?
They didn't refuse, they are just busy
work 12 hour days, weekends, shiftwork like all the rest of us did/do. You don't run a business to make money but to do the work.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
When I said to my German dealer about the situation regarding not carrying out warranty work in the UK he laughed, we fix any van he said, makes you wonder if they get better warranty rates than Uk dealers 🤔🤔
We had a similar situation when we lived in Germany. As long as the van was under warranty then pretty much any dealer would carry out warranty work. Also there are tons of dealerships in Germany for each brand. The small town we lived had a few dozen dealerships within a 20KM radius, representing just about every brand of motorhome available.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
The word 'dealership' has come up a lot. It doesn't have to be a 'dealership' that carries out warranty work. There are lots of Adria approved workshops that will carry out warranty work. If you click on the link below and click 'service' then that will show you Adria approved workshops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
anyway this was just to show that dealers are not that interested in helping doesn't matter where you bought it from or who, if its had its Habitation check and under warranty the dealer network on the Manufacturers website are obliged to help you and register a claim the day you call them, they do get paid for the work they do as they entered into a contract with the manufacturer so not the end users issue, we have the van in our name on the Adria website and the claim is now going through, after a load of hassle that should be pain free, if it gets rejected no issues I will buy a new panel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
The word 'dealership' has come up a lot. It doesn't have to be a 'dealership' that carries out warranty work. There are lots of Adria approved workshops that will carry out warranty work. If you click on the link below and click 'service' then that will show you Adria approved workshops.
yes correct, did just that and got a really helpful dealer that explained how it all works according to the website so all good :)

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When in business if I was busy I worked longer , weeknds ,12 hour days , shift work & what I would expect from a busy dealer. If you are booked up forever & not working weekends to me you are not their for the customers.
So did I, often longer

But, the OP is not their customer, so if your staff are already working overtime, days off etc it hard.

Also, it’s virtually impossible to fire or discipline anyone nowadays so if staff say no to overtime, it’s no!
Exactly . I always wonder what the poor ****s travelling in the Uk who need help , do? Apart from be recovered out of the place. What use is a guarantee that is only for "the dealer you bought it from " when you are usually 1500miles away?
You Pay!

If your 1500 miles away you presumably have breakdown insurance or should
work 12 hour days, weekends, shiftwork like all the rest of us did/do. You don't run a business to make money but to do the work.
That’s fine and dandy, if your a one man band, but how does that relate to Brownhills with a 12 week workshop lead time?

I disagree with your last statement I built Van Bitz and invested heavily into Cornish Farm Touring Park for the sole reason of making money

Look after your customers, don’t rip them off and do what you’ll say you’re going to do.

The warranty thing? We were lucky enough to be able to buy a brand new camper when I was 28 years old, the warranty was the same then some 34 years later, the only difference then the warranty discussion started “Dear MMM” lol

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
anyway this was just to show that dealers are not that interested in helping doesn't matter where you bought it from or who, if its had its Habitation check and under warranty the dealer network on the Manufacturers website are obliged to help you and register a claim the day you call them, they do get paid for the work they do as they entered into a contract with the manufacturer so not the end users issue, we have the van in our name on the Adria website and the claim is now going through, after a load of hassle that should be pain free, if it gets rejected no issues I will buy a new panel.

No dealer is going to try to fix the panel and will just get a new one, if you’ve resigned to buying a new one anyway, then if you’ve used a soldering iron before then have a go at reheating the joints that your finger makes it work and it may fix it.

You’ve got nothing to lose…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth

work 12 hour days, weekends, shiftwork like all the rest of us did/do. You don't run a bus

No dealer is going to try to fix the panel and will just get a new one, if you’ve resigned to buying a new one anyway, then if you’ve used a soldering iron before then have a go at reheating the joints that your finger makes it work and it may fix it.

You’ve got nothing to lose…
I would as I am ok with electrical stuff but if I knacker it we won't be going anywhere soon as they are on back order from Germany so I am told, that's my issue :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

It does involve the contract between dealer and Converter. Or, it ought to. I used to draft these kinds of distributorship contracts on behalf of a manufacturer in the leisure industry. If the end customer complained to the manufacturer about the dealer rejecting or failing to respond to a warranty claim, it would get serious attention from the manufacturer. There would be consequences for the dealer at review time.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Scandalous, you pay close on, or over £100k for a vehicle and get treated like a lepper when you want some support.
Still we’re the ones to blame to put up with it. It used to amaze me when I first joined the forum a few years back to read so many members doing their own repairs/ fixes on a vehicle they had paid close to £100k for. I soon learnt the reason for this.

Can you imagine having to fix a fault on your new Rangerover/Audi/Merc etc just because the dealer couldn’t be bothered.

Like I say scandalous.
Why? If you go to.your supplying dealer they will fix it, how is that scandalous?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Having read through all these posts I can say that I bought new from Highbridge fairly local to me. I cannot fault them from the delayed delivery (not their fault) and honouring the original price despite two price increases. No problem with registering; all done on the day of collection. Two warranty claims one the same as OP a replacement Hab control unit and a replacement roof blind cassette that's reflective foil had peeled back. All done efficiently but took a few weeks to get authorised and booked in despite having many maintenance bay they are rammed all the time.
A reseal of their fitted wind out awning was was done at my home address by their mobile fitter who also re attached some draw runners which had only the minimum number of screws necessary from manufacture and did a belt and braces screw with resin in every available hole.
So as advised by many on here I bought local and have nothing but praise for my dealer.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
It does involve the contract between dealer and Converter. Or, it ought to. I used to draft these kinds of distributorship contracts on behalf of a manufacturer in the leisure industry. If the end customer complained to the manufacturer about the dealer rejecting or failing to respond to a warranty claim, it would get serious attention from the manufacturer. There would be consequences for the dealer at review time.
There is one UK manufacturer, who's build quality since C19 is appalling, can't see them doing anything other than keep taking the money we pay out for our MoHo and ignore known problems.

Whistling over cab sun roof and ceiling light screws through the roof to name two.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What I find annoying with dealers is you take your van in for repair in the first year and they refuse to do anything unless the manufactured agrees it's faulty and agrees the repair.
What's it got to do with the manufacture in the first year your contract is with the dealer it's up to them to sort it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfrain145
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
There is one UK manufacturer, who's build quality since C19 is appalling, can't see them doing anything other than keep taking the money we pay out for our MoHo and ignore known problems.

Whistling over cab sun roof and ceiling light screws through the roof to name two.
we originally ordered an Autotrail camper went to see one that came in for another customer, cancelled immediately, I have a video to show the issues but not for me, and the dealer said "ITS NOT BEEN PDI'd" YET even though it had an Autotrail PDI inside the cupboard, we deffo dodged a bullet there

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back