Warranty and Habitation Checks (1 Viewer)

Geoffla9

Free Member
Mar 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi , can any of you comment on my current dilemma . I have a Hymer A class bought new just over a year ago . The dealer i bought it from has been in touch saying i must get a habitation check every year to maintain the Hymer warranty .
They quoted me just over £500.00 for the check ! . Given i love my motor home and intend to keep it for many years , am i now a cash cow for the dealer? I have had cheaper quotes from other dealers who are not Hymer agents , To me it look's they all do the same checks and issue the same certificate ( from an approved and accredited workshop) Do you think my warranty will be good if i get the check from someone else and not the dealer i bought it from .

thanks

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
if homer or anyone else cannot make a motorhomes without Having a yearly check for damp they should start having a good look at their shoddy construction methods

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
AFAIK the underbody spray is no longer required due to the way the underside is now constructed as per Basildog's post earlier and others have also mentioned it on other threads:

As far as I’m aware the grp underfloor that mine has is probably still the same and the spray is applied around entry points to prevent ingress so for anyone buying a new Hymer I would check with the dealer if this is still required as ignoring it on the basis of this thread could potentially end with a void warranty.

I can only speak for myself .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
if homer or anyone else cannot make a motorhomes without Having a yearly check for damp they should start having a good look at their shoddy construction methods

Nowt wrong with mine , brilliant motorhome 👍👍

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
For anyone interested, it turns out that the Hymer damp warranty does not require damp tests for the PVCs of their Hymercar range. Found this out when we took our Yosemite to Travelworld earlier this week for a booked habitation and damp check, only to be given the above news.
Just adding to what I wrote earlier

Thats interesting Travelworld quoted £500 for our's, of course I declined their kind offer and have had the work carried out elsewhere for 2/5ths of that. I have emailed Hymer for an answer to this and will post on here what they say. That doesn't mean I won't have the skylights etc damp checked, but it does make you wonder.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Another good reason for annual damp check has appeared in thread First sign of damp :-
A new Chausson showing damp on damp check, without the annual check this could have gone unnoticed until serious damage appeared. IMO the checks cover the period following production where the odd gap in mastic on a Friday pm
could have occurred, and it does.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Our Hymer B 674 19 model had a visual check only as an all aluminium body. I would have thought the visual check would take no more than an hour so asking the dealer how much they charge an hour might be appropriate.
As it happens there was water ingress through the canopy brackets that were fixed as part of the manufacturing process. So a check was worthwhile. There had also been a leak from the water divert channel on the roof as the screws hadn’t had gunk applied (technical term).
The dealer confirmed no under-spray was no required as GRP.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We bought a new a class a Hymer in 2016 and it was not a condition of the warranty to have a habitation check it was however a condition of the warranty to have an annual damp check and underbody spray for the first five years , other Hymer owners on here will be aware of that.
He’s been quoted over £200 for just the damp / moisture check that doesn’t include the habitation con ⚠️🤔☹️

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
He’s been quoted over £200 for just the damp / moisture check that doesn’t include the habitation con ⚠🤔
I was surprised with the habitation check as that is not normally a Hymer requirement but for moisture check only that’s rip off even if it included under body spray it’s still steep.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I was surprised with the habitation check as that is not normally a Hymer requirement but for moisture check only that’s rip off even if it included under body spray it’s still steep.
Yes I actually phoned around several different Hymer dealers when ours was due and the price variations were pretty big .
Cheapest was £135 the dearest was around £240
What are the resident 3 year olds Hymer dealers employ going to play with now they haven’t got the spray to make a pointless Mess under people’s vans ☹️⚠️😂

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I actually phoned around several different Hymer dealers when ours was due and the price variations were pretty big .
Cheapest was £135 the dearest was around £240
What are the resident 3 year olds Hymer dealers employ going to play with now they haven’t got the spray to make a pointless Mess under people’s vans ☹⚠😂

I don’t know and I guess Hymer have realised that spraying a glass fibre floor is not really necessary, ok it’s only entry points but sealed properly in the factory there should never be a problem.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a brand new Hymer A Class and it has a ten year damp warranty .
The water ingress warranty is 6 years so you only need 5 damp checks.
Some of the price for damp checks in the UK are silly I get mine done in Belgium for €70, even that's expensive for a 10 min look around the van.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Another good reason for annual damp check has appeared in thread First sign of damp :-
A new Chausson showing damp on damp check, without the annual check this could have gone unnoticed until serious damage appeared. IMO the checks cover the period following production where the odd gap in mastic on a Friday pm
could have occurred, and it does.
But why should the customer be paying to check the companies faulty workmanship?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
But why should the customer be paying to check the companies faulty workmanship?

As above it’s better found than left to cause serious damage later.
There will be a faulty Friday pm mass produced van escape with perhaps a small gap in bedding mastic and to initially check for damp will save problems later.
If the customer doesn’t want to pay he can refuse to have it checked.

Three years ago I paid £4K + for a new gas boiler for the house , for the ten year warranty I have to pay for the annual service and system check.
I of course could spoil the ship for a ha’porth of tar but would rather spend a little extra for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back