Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Needing a little help from the computer whizkids from the Funsters Forum.

We would like Free Vpn for our netbook while travelling, This is a complete Free Vpn site not the few days then pay.

Thank you in advance for any help.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Have you looked at 'Hola' - free to use and works on google chrome - I used it a while back with no issues.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you knew what went into setting up a VPN service you wouldn't really be looking for a free one.
They have to recover their costs somehow and my guess is that they will use advertising which is where you become the product...

The free ones are also likely to be oversubscribed and therefore congested etc.

Just look at the M6 and M6 toll. The free one is swamped and oversubscribed while the Toll one is totally clear and free flowing. Your choice :p

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Or in the case of "free" Hola, they use some of your bandwidth to route their traffic [aka peer to peer p2p]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
They have to recover their costs somehow and my guess is that they will use advertising which is where you become the product...

Yikes, I just had a peek and it looks INFINITELY worse than that lol. I didn't stay on their site long (6th sense) - just long enough to read this and realise what they do!!

"If you want to enjoy the power of the network without contributing your idle resources to the network, you can purchase a premium subscription"

(beaten to it by @Langtoftlad ) ;)

Deleted User
I used the free Zenmate until sometime last year when it stopped working for UK TV abroad, I now pay for Pure VPN and it is working fine, as has been said €50 for 2 years, not ridiculous.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use VPN unlimited. It isn't free (of course) but gets good reviews and is quick. Just waited for one of their regular deals to be shown and joined

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used (and paid for) Boxpn.

Sadly (or otherwise) the BBC got wise to this company and somehow blocked its servers.

Now without access to 5 Live Football commentaries.

Given the dreadful screaming and fake excitement of many of their "commentators" I am not too sad... I have Mobdro...;)

JJ :cool:

PS. Mr Gromett is, as usual in these matters, 100% correct about "free" vpn's. I never ever found one that worked as smoothly as (advert free) Boxpn.

Deleted User

No problems with PureVPN here in Portugal, streaming and recording to BBC iplayer OK, good bandwidth here though.

Muntic0re

Free Member
Nov 22, 2016
US
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm newbie
if free then try Hola or Betternet, but it's not reliable, vypr vpn is better

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I use PIA, ( PrivateInternetAccess).
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Quite competitively priced and with good customer service. It's very easy to set up, I've got it on my iMac, Ipads and Iphone, also on my Amazon Fire TV. I did think about putting it on my router and that would cover all the other devices while at home but as I'm with Virgin that would mean buying a second router.
I'm not that paranoid, no really I'm not;)

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I tried PureVPN. Rubbish. Only ever managed to connect for 2 minutes during 2 months' subscription. They refunded me eventually my 22 dollars for 2 months. They replied to my emails asking for how to connect but their advice didn't help except once, for the 2 minutes.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Excuse my ignorance on this subject ;) but do all these VPN providers, provide a UK based address, which enables the use of iPlayers outside the UK?

Also, which provider is rated the best please?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
If you knew what went into setting up a VPN service you wouldn't really be looking for a free one.

The free ones are also likely to be oversubscribed and therefore congested etc.

Just look at the M6 and M6 toll. The free one is swamped and oversubscribed while the Toll one is totally clear and free flowing. Your choice :p

I used the m6 toll coming down from Liverpool grommet,, fantastic road,, not a car on it!!

Definitely use it again!!! Xxxx

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
TunnelBear. So simple to use, and you get 1gb per month with no charge. After that it’s £9.99/mth for up to 5 devices. You can hop in and hop out of paying as required. I only turn it on when needed, so find that the free bit works ok most of the time. (y) :)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
IMG_6315.PNG
Been using the free version of this one one on my iPad for 18 months now and works very well.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
TunnelBear. So simple to use, and you get 1gb per month with no charge. After that it’s £9.99/mth for up to 5 devices. You can hop in and hop out of paying as required. I only turn it on when needed, so find that the free bit works ok most of the time. (y) :)
Been trying to get BBC I player using TunnelBear for the last 12 hours without any success. Neither will it allow you to enter your U.K. lottery account. Have only tried the free service as was just testing it out, no point paying if it doesn’t work. Agree very easy to install and use. Checked I was signed in and had a VPN address, even tried turning location services off in settings but still nothing.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your reply webby1. Yes, I can access with my 3 sim card in my wifi. I also have very good live TV using TVcatchup, thanks to funsters for their info on both of these. I was just trying to see if any of the free VPNs would work as its a bit windy and cooler here in Southern Spain today so I thought I'd have a play as could use it to catch up on a couple of missed programmes Not found one so far, as you say the BBC is getting wise to more & more of them.
I think I was posting more for info so that no-one wasted money paying for a service which they then found didn't work.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes. I have used BBC iplayer with my 3 sim card in my wifi. I have only used it as a last resort as don't want to use all my card data. Generally what i do is rather than watch live I download the programme as soon as it is available. not sure if this uses less data but it allows me to watch when i want to but you can watch it live. The TVCatchup app also allows you to watch UK TV live without a VPN but doesn't have a catch up facility, I use this all the time i watch live TV as I have access to decent wifi here (expensive but unlimited so great for everything). I was just trying to find a way of getting catch up tv without having to use my 3 data or subscribe to anything else. I realise now that a paid for, good VPN is the only way to go for this. There are I know lots of "box" answers but I only use my iPad or laptop to view, we have no TV.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back