Votronic versus Sterling B2B 30A ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
How very odd!
on that point, I agree with you.

Anyway, As I think I have already said - My Sterling 30amp B2B is now working fine with my fused wiring direct from the starter battery.

In fact, everything is now working again with my Lithium batteries from the 2014 Exsis. And the big heavy AGM leisure battery is now in storage.

To go back to the original point of this thread, I would have had just as much work to do had I used a Votronic B2B, so my vote is still for Sterling.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is how my Votronic B2B is wired. It uses the existing wiring from the starter battery to the EBL.

View attachment 843427
Far better to wire direct to the batteries as if the EBL is few years old the relay contact can have a carbon build up in them that then reduces the charge rate, even if it's new you will get the problem with time.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Far better to wire direct to the batteries as if the EBL is few years old the relay contact can have a carbon build up in them that then reduces the charge rate, even if it's new you will get the problem with time.
Agree with you whole heartedly there. Maybe, that is why the 2022 Exsis does not use the relay in the EBL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I thought by 2022 Hymer were using Schaudt 121525 Boosters as standard, perhaps wiring them directly to the batteries?

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I’d love to do that but Hymer have made it extremely hard for me to get a decent size cable from the starter to the leisure battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I’d love to do that but Hymer have made it extremely hard for me to get a decent size cable from the starter to the leisure battery.
Take the cable out of the back of the EBL then extend it to where you are mounting the B2B.

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Sorry to re-ignite my quest for a B2B but following on from the info I picked up on another thread and tipoff from ”Stillgoing“ about the fuse problems on the 30A Votronic I am struggling to decide whether to consider a Renogy B2B. To ensure I get the updated version of the Votronic means £180-£200 ie BNIB. I would prefer one with fan cooling as a review of the Victron pointed out it does get hot and mine will be in a confined space.
So I am now thinking to go for the Renogy and maybe upgrade when I can afford it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would prefer one with fan cooling as a review of the Victron pointed out it does get hot and mine will be in a confined space.
The new Victron 50 amp one which will be available next month is more efficient & runs cooler than the 30 amp.

Quite a few Funsters using the Renogy B2B they have been working OK but also quite a few have had them fail. They are so cheap you can afford to take a chance but they don't have a UK presence.

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Decided against the Renogy as no base here but did notice that Alpha batteries sell one that looks like the Renogy but in different colour. However having looked at forced ventilation I have gone for the Victron from Offgrid Energy.

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Update!
I have been ill for most of December and the weather has been miserable here and I have done nothing. I have also not secured the help I was expecting so I decided to put it on hold until at least the weather improves. If not I will be listing all the gear I have bought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back