Votronic versus Sterling B2B 30A ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Last component of my lithium upgrade is a B2B and initially I was recommended the Votronic over the Victron but can anyone offer the best choice between the Votronic and the Sterling B2B please?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have 2 of the 30amp Votronic b2b’s, they are incredibly compact which could be an advantage depending on where you are installing it?

IMG_0479.jpeg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Last component of my lithium upgrade is a B2B and initially I was recommended the Votronic over the Victron but can anyone offer the best choice between the Votronic and the Sterling B2B please?
Did you know Victron have a new 50 B2B out next month?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Votronic is fan cooled so can be fitted in a smaller space the Victron needs a large area of free space around it.

The Votronic also has a battery maintainer when it is off it will give a 2 amp charge to the starter battery.

Not impressed with Sterling products I personally would give them a miss.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
That's a very neat installation 👍
IMG_0478.jpeg

Roadpro did a great job, 2 100amp lithium NDS batteries, 2000w inverter, Ablemail, 2 30amp b2b, NDS solar regulator, lithium charger and original cbe charger now only for starter battery. Then I spoil the job with my 2 electric bromptons and assorted junk!!

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
The Votronic is fan cooled so can be fitted in a smaller space the Victron needs a large area of free space around it.

The Votronic also has a battery maintainer when it is off it will give a 2 amp charge to the starter battery.

Your opinion is as you know good enough for me. Thanks again for your advice.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a Sterling 70amp which works very well
And I have a Sterling 60A which works very well. My previous MH had a Sterling 50A, which believe it or not, also worked very well. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We’ve got a Sterling 30A B2B. It hasn’t missed a beat and Mr Sterling himself will answer the phone and give you support if you ever need it, as he built it himself in Britland.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The Sterling appears to have a default of voltage activation which will not work with smart alternators. Their alternative of ignition activation can put a heavy load on the starter battery before the engine is running. The Votronic uses D+ activation which in my opinion is the proper way of doing it.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Roadpro did a great job, 2 100amp lithium NDS batteries, 2000w inverter, Ablemail, 2 30amp b2b, NDS solar regulator, lithium charger and original cbe charger now only for starter battery. Then I spoil the job with my 2 electric bromptons and assorted junk!!
I’m curious how often the Ablemail is needed if the Votronic B2B can trickle charge the starter battery from the leisure battery when stationery.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We use the Ablemail as it is programmable to suit your setup. Our Mercedes starter battery has quite a high latent drain when in storage. As you say, all good in sunny weather/when used where the solar/b2b keeps everything charged.
But up here in Scotland in winter, solar is practically nil, so in storage if the starter battery goes to 12.2 or 50%, the ablemail charges the starter from the lithium. All works well for us.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
The Sterling appears to have a default of voltage activation which will not work with smart alternators.
Just the opposite, in fact. The Sterling 30amp B2B works very well with our smart alternator.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp

The new Victron is supposed to be more efficient (and rumored to be bi directional when the firmware is upgraded) so will better, but to an extent you are paying for it's ability to integrate into a system with other Victron kit and reporting systems, if that's not going to be used, then.......

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just the opposite, in fact. The Sterling 30amp B2B works very well with our smart alternator.
Must have been wired for ignition activation because voltage sensing alone will only work in short bursts when the alternator is active.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The new Victron is supposed to be more efficient (and rumored to be bi directional when the firmware is upgraded) so will better, but to an extent you are paying for it's ability to integrate into a system with other Victron kit and reporting systems, if that's not going to be used, then.......
Yes the 50 amp Victron is supposed to run cooler than the 30 amp. If they upgrade it for bidirectional it will be a good unit.
One disadvantage of the Votronic it won't work in LifePO4 profile without the temperature sensor which is good in some ways but not necessary if you have a battery with built in heater

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Yes the 50 amp Victron is supposed to run cooler than the 30 amp. If they upgrade it for bidirectional it will be a good unit.
One disadvantage of the Votronic it won't work in LifePO4 profile without the temperature sensor which is good in some ways but not necessary if you have a battery with built in heater
The Votronic temperature sensor also detects over heating. The Votronic unit comes with the sensor so it’s not a big deal especially as you don’t have to connect the sensor to the battery (although it’s probably best to).

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Agree but it does come with the sensor in the box. (As StillGoing said) Belt and braces comes to mind!

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I thought it was 15 quid extra so that's good.
You pay extra for the one to go with the solar controller. I did ask Votronic if I could make the lead from one go to both B2B and mppt but they said no. I expect you could find a way to make that work but it was beyond me.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Must have been wired for ignition activation because voltage sensing alone will only work in short bursts when the alternator is active.
Not at all. The alternator is active continually at 13.2 volts or more and the B2B has a timer which keeps it running for many minutes once it has been activated by engine overun, which even on French roads is fairly continually.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
The Sterling appears to have a default of voltage activation which will not work with smart alternators. Their alternative of ignition activation can put a heavy load on the starter battery before the engine is running. The Votronic uses D+ activation which in my opinion is the proper way of doing it.
Mine uses the D+

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not at all. The alternator is active continually at 13.2 volts or more and the B2B has a timer which keeps it running for many minutes once it has been activated by engine overun, which even on French roads is fairly continually.
A continual 13.2V doesn’t sound like a smart alternator.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
A continual 13.2V doesn’t sound like a smart alternator.
Well ... It is a 2022 Ducato.

Has had some Fiat Professional waranty work done on the electrics and now runs with minimum output from the alternator at 13.1 volts. (mostly 13.2). Engine overun kicks in at about 14 volts.

The Sterling B2B is set to operate at 13.5+ volts with a 3 minute timer and runs most of the time on UK roads. Certainly enough to keep our 200Ah Lithium charged up. (No Igniition or D+ signal.)

The biggest problem was getting a starter battery connection to the B2B. Our 2022 Hymer Exsis has no starter battery connection adjacent to the EBL 30. (other than the 20amp connection labelled for the fridge - but actually only used by EHU starter battery charging and solar panel charging)

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Well ... It is a 2022 Ducato.

The biggest problem was getting a starter battery connection to the B2B. Our 2022 Hymer Exsis has no starter battery connection adjacent to the EBL 30. (other than the 20amp connection labelled for the fridge - but actually only used by EHU starter battery charging and solar panel charging)
I’m not sure I understand. The starter battery should be wired into the back of the EBL 30 with a 50A fuse.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
This is how my Votronic B2B is wired. It uses the existing wiring from the starter battery to the EBL.

IMG_3995.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I’m not sure I understand. The starter battery should be wired into the back of the EBL 30 with a 50A fuse.
Do I need to take a photo to convince you. That is not how it is wired. The 50amp connection point is empty. (as is the fridge connection point)

The point is "Should be from whose point off view?". And also, at what date?

This 2022 Exsis has no starter battery connection to the EBL 30. The EBL acts just as a 12 volt distribution and charger unit for the leisure services.

This is how my Votronic B2B is wired. It uses the existing wiring from the starter battery to the EBL.
Yes that is how my 2014 Hymer Exsis was wired. But the relevant date is now 2022.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Do I need to take a photo to convince you. That is not how it is wired. The 50amp connection point is empty. (as is the fridge connection point)

The point is "Should be from whose point off view?". And also, at what date?

This 2022 Exsis has no starter battery connection to the EBL 30. The EBL acts just as a 12 volt distribution and charger unit for the leisure services.

Yes that is how my 2014 Hymer Exsis was wired. But the relevant date is now 2022.
How very odd!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back