Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi,
may or may not be of interest. My 40% discount on a SIM only contract, £25/month 100 GB data unrestricted was expiring so I contacted them. New promo 160 GB unrestricted (50 countries incl EU)@ £20. I took it as I wanted to keep present no. rather than looking for it via 3rd party with possible cashback. Hope its useful to someone

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
You say 160GB unrestricted but is it still restricted to 25GB a month in Europe. I have Vodafone sim only one in a phone & one in a mifi had to keep swapping phone sim into mifi once I had used 25GB on mifi sim. I had recently renewed 100GB in phone £20 a month. 100GB on mifi £12 a month as second sim. Thinking of changing hubby’s phone to Vodafone also as I can get a third sim 100GB for £12.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I am looking at ASDA Mobile, £30 a month unlimited data even in Europe, runs on Vodafone network.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
From our online chat no overseas Data restriction applies (I had a 100 GB data all of which I could use overseas) The “unlimited” package they offered in last few years had a 25GB restriction (fair usage clause)in EU. I hope after I see the fine print Ill think the same!.

OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Looks like 25GB fair usage applies unfortunately but probably enough for me

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just returned after seven weeks in Europe.Used 85 gb on one phone 35 gb on the other.Both Vodaphone with no hassle.BUSBY.

Deleted User
There are also other roaming restrictions, after 2 months extra charges apply, also they compare roaming usage with home usage.

OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
There are also other roaming restrictions, after 2 months extra charges apply, also they compare roaming usage with home usage.
The offer does not mention 2 month time restriction, only mention is “free roaming is not meant for semipermanent/permanent usage”

Deleted User
The offer does not mention 2 month time restriction, only mention is “free roaming is not meant for semipermanent/permanent usage”
Wanted to charge me after 2 months, luckily I only had a month to go on the contract so cancelled

They brought these new rules in from January, I think you can work out why, I had 2 sim only contracts a 2 year 100Gb deal with 18 months left which they gave me the option to cancel because of the changes, which I did.

The other was 60Gb 12 month deal, discounted through phonehouse which I couldn't cancel for free, I hadn't used this for roaming so then used this for 2 months and got a warning of excess charges so cancelled early with only a month left.

OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
2 months doesn’t sound like semi-permanent. Are their rule changes in writing anywhere?
tk

Deleted User
2 months doesn’t sound like semi-permanent. Are their rule changes in writing anywhere?
tk
I'm not sure where but they will be.

I can't remember how I was originally informed, if it was an email I can find it but if through Vodafone message it will probably be lost.

Deleted User
tk

This is part of a live chat transcript

Reference Number: 187567838160378414
DATE/TIME: 2021-01-05 14:01:38
Your Chat Transcript
The following is a record of your online chat with Vodafone today
TOBI : Thanks for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly
james : Hi, you’re speaking to James, chatting to you from the Vodafone Gainsborough store and ready to help with your query.
james : How can I help today Alec?
Alec : I wish to cancel my contract due to roaming changes but wish to transfer this number to a PAYG sim
james : I will transfer you over to the disconnections team who will be able to assist with this for you
james : Can I just quickly ask about the roaming charges you are speaking about so I can understand why you need to cancel?
Alec : I have had a message to say that I will be charged roaming charges after Jan 18th because I am out of the UK too long and I can cancel without charge
james : You will only be charged if you exceed over 62 days out of the last 4 months period on a rolling basis & your usage abroad exceeds your usage in the uk if that helps?
Alec : I know that, it is why I am cancelling

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Starty sim is worth a look, unlimited for £18 on 30 day contract I believe.
Smartly limited to 12gb / month in EU

Take a look at Superdrug sim unlimited data in EU (at the moment) £20 30 day contract.

Deleted User
Starty sim is worth a look, unlimited for £18 on 30 day contract I believe.

I think that they all have roaming time limits, if that is important.

I took out a Superdrug unlimited sim on 30 day rolling contract with no roaming limits, supposedly.

Only been using it 6 weeks in Portugal and currently suspended while under investigation by the fraud department apparently.

If huge amounts of data not needed Vodafone PAYG sim big value bundles seem to work while roaming without time limits.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
See my post #16
Was that because you had no UK usage after the initial activation?
If so then I am stuffed, as no 3 signal where I am in the UK. I use a Vodafone sim for data in the UK but have no Vodafone signal where we go in Spain.

Deleted User
Was that because you had no UK usage after the initial activation?
If so then I am stuffed, as no 3 signal where I am in the UK. I use a Vodafone sim for data in the UK but have no Vodafone signal where we go in Spain.
It could be, I bought the Superdrug sim in January, sent to my son's address but he didn't activate it until the middle of May and posted it out to Portugal, took nearly 2 weeks to arrive.
Stopped working last Friday and after online chat with the above result have heard nothing since, cancelled autorenew and 30 days have now expired, doubt that I will bother restarting even if they let me.

I can get a good data deal from NOS in Portugal, unlimited 15days for €15 and I use Pure VPN for streaming UK TV, they often have very cheap long term offers, my current is 5 years and I think it was something like £70. The free ones don't work in my experience.

I use the Vodafone PAYG sim with a £10 big value bundle for calls and data on the phone, NOS sim is in a mifi.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I’ve just added a Vodafone sim only as an existing customer to replace my smarty package in the mifi. I went with 100gb for £10:00 on an 18 month deal. 👍🏻

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
From our online chat no overseas Data restriction applies (I had a 100 GB data all of which I could use overseas) The “unlimited” package they offered in last few years had a 25GB restriction (fair usage clause)in EU. I hope after I see the fine print Ill think the same!.
I have it in writing from Vodaphone confirming exactly that..... that only "unlimited" plans are capped abroad.... i took the 100gb sim deal last year and wanted this confirmed before i went ahead.... the only restriction i have is that i must use approx the same amount of Data when abroad as i do when at home in the UK.. likewise my wifes old 50gb sim with EE...they again confirmed that her deal will not be restricted when abroad.... 6 yrs travelling and it hasn't so far..

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I have it in writing from Vodaphone confirming exactly that..... that only "unlimited" plans are capped abroad.... i took the 100gb sim deal last year and wanted this confirmed before i went ahead.... the only restriction i have is that i must use approx the same amount of Data when abroad as i do when at home in the UK.. likewise my wifes old 50gb sim with EE...they again confirmed that her deal will not be restricted when abroad.... 6 yrs travelling and it hasn't so far..
Not sure that is true now though. This is from my new 100gb plan
C4A809B4-8C1C-47D1-9E95-08CEF0222E40.jpeg

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Yes new plans may well be different..... a good example of why if you are happy you shouldn't be talked in to upgrading your current plan...

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Zigisla,
What proportion of your 100gb monthly data allowance are you able use when roaming? (I was tempted by the same deal...)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Zigisla,
What proportion of your 100gb monthly data allowance are you able use when roaming? (I was tempted by the same deal...)
It looks like it is limited to just 25Gb when roaming in the 51 designated destinations. If I ever reach that, I’ll have to change to my phone, then wife’s phone. To be honest even when I had unlimited usage, I didn’t use that much.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
tk
Did you go for the Vodaphone sim in the end? I am looking for a new sim and it seems to be one the best deals at present.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've been on a Vodafone contract for a few years and found it excellent in Europe.
The problem now is that they limit the amount of roaming if you use more abroad than at home.
As we have fast broadband at home plus a BT phone line I rarely use the mobile except when we are away in the van. As most of our trips (in a normal year) are to Europe the normal U.K. use is quite low. That means Vodafone is no use to me.
Now changed to Sky mobile where I can save the unused data to use when needed. How well it will work in Europe is something I’ve still to discover.

Richard.

OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Did you go for the Vodaphone sim in the end? I am looking for a new sim and it seems to be one the best deals at present.
I did. I am probably not going to be away for more than 2 months at a time,
yes, I probably will not be abroad for more than 2 months at a time. 25 GB should be enough. If they quibble about roaming v home usage I always have the option of tethering my home wi-if to phone to up home usage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back