Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We are hoping to visit here in late Spring. First of all, excuse our ignorance, is it the Mosel Valley or the Moselle Valley? We've seen both written but which is it? And, when speaking, on which part of the word is the emphasis, is it Mosel or Mosel?

Is there a list of stellplatzs (aires) between Trier and Koblenz? And do you have any favourites that would not be too crowded in Mid-June?

Which are the must-see villages to stop at?

Which is the best place to begin a river cruise?

Is there anywhere in the valley that we can rent bikes? And, if so, can we rent electric bikes?

Should we go Trier to Koblenz or Koblenz to Trier, or doesn't it make any difference?

We have a guide book but first-hand experience from seasoned travellers would be most welcome.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This is what we did after advise from others and it seemed to work.
Straight to Trier and there is a good aire there. Visit town, nice walk from aire and by the roman gateway is the tourist office. There you can get a map of the river in English..
Just follow that.. From memory stellplatz are marked in the tourist map and there are many of them.
Get in early afternoon as they can get busy..
Bike hire, sure they are there but not something we looked at..
River cruise cant help...

We loved it and will certainly go again.. Did not make Koblenz as campsite there was shut so we can back down the river...

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Different spelling according to country. It flows through France as well. Cochem is a place I love. Riverside pay and display parking during the day and free at night. Get there early though as it is popular.
I got all the stellplzt throught the bordatlas app that you can buy 3 euros for a month
Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We are planning on going in September so will also keep an eye on this thread, sorry can't be of any help

Andy

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Forgot to add that there is a stellplazt in an ordinary carpark listed in Koblenz that is on the bank of the Rhine. Entrance and exit are through railway archs onto and off a dual carraige way. Trouble is entrance is signed 3.4mtrs and exit 3.4mtres!!!! We are 3.35 with sat dish. Had to drive up track ring the railway at a level crossing and they remotely lifted the barrier. Beaware, you can't go out of the entrance as it is a slip road off the dual carriageway

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We stayed on a little marina site at St Goar with ehu a few years ago, then biked to koblenz followed the Rhine, nice and flat bike ride

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have done the area 3 times now and hope to do it again.

Not sure it makes and difference on starting at the top or bottom, I have done both and they both work the same.
I had a bike with me, I did not notice any hire shops but there could be.
Not sure on Tier I did try but it looked a difficult place to park up and not that interesting to me.
Schwebsange in Luxembourg was quite a nice start if going from the bottom and I thought Saarburg was a must. It's not on the Mosel but on the Saar just before it feeds into the Mosel.
There a quite a few nice villages to stop at on the way and distances are quite short so plenty of time to look around. When I met Mickydrip they went on the river taxi from Trittenheim to Berncastle. The boat stopped a few metres from the stellplatz we were on. It stops close to quite a few.

For a bit more of my story and photos of my last 2 trips see the showcase items below.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
first-hand experience from seasoned travellers would be most welcome.

We've done it by motorbike, we've done it by MH.

There is only one essential piece of advice, Do It.

Trier to Koblenz then turn right to Sankt Goar is logical.

Stop everywhere but Cocham, Koblenz, Boppard, Sankt Goar are essentials. The site at Sankt Goar right on the bank of the Rhein is our favourite. The Rhein is a working river valley, so a bit noisy.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=50.144302,7.722284&spn=0.002932,0.005461&t=h&z=18

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We went along the Mosel last September, weather was great, vines were burgeoned with grapes (tasted quite sweet too, not felt as guilty since scrumping apples as a kid :)) Didn't book any sites and managed to park up on sites and stellplazes no problem. Couldn't find a parking spot anywhere in Cochem but it was just after lunch when we arrived. Saw a bike hire spot in Zell but didn't enquire as we had ours with us and some of the local busses had trailers on the back for carrying bikes. The cycle paths along the river and through the vineyards were brill. We stayed on an Aire in Trier but some friends we met parked over the road next to Maccy D's for free.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is a Stellplatz outside of the fence of the Knaus camping area Koblenz Here we are on the corner and best space no. 10
CA_07311411265063-X2.jpg

The site is on the right there
CA_07311414405927-X2.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
OP
OP
Rob and Val

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Many thanks to all you lovely people who gave replies and some really great advice - all of it very useful. Love the photos on this thread and in the blogs/galleries.

Has anyone been to visit the (Burg)Eltz Castle at Münstermaifeld, please? Is it possible to view it from the Mosel River i.e. on a boat trip? If so, where would you board the boat? Any info or advice gratefully received.

Burg Eltz Castle.jpeg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you read up on all these German castles they all seem to be recent rebuilds by very rich Germans, most being destroyed in local disputes over the centuries.

OP
OP
Rob and Val

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks for that info, @hilldweller. Eltz castle is mediaeval and, as far as I know, has never been destroyed and rebuilt.. Apparently, it is still owned by relatives of the family that lived there in the 12th century. It's like a fairy-tale castle and has really captured our imagination.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another vote for the camperstops book, but campercontact app is very good as well as it put the co-ordinates straight into your sat Nav if you have them both on the same device.

Trier is nice but a couple of mile walk in from the aire, the Cathedral is a must see for me (inside not out).
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bernkastel is nice as well, you can overnight right under the bridge in the town but you need to go to the tourist info and get a ticket for the windscreen.
image.jpg

Enjoy

OP
OP
Rob and Val

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Sounds interesting, @hilldweller, but Neuschwanstein is about 300 miles south-east of Koblenz. Bit too far of a detour on this year's trip!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sounds interesting, @hilldweller, but Neuschwanstein is about 300 miles south-east of Koblenz. Bit too far of a detour on this year's trip!

No problem, it's in your mind now. Beautiful area and one of the best campsites we've been on in Fussen.

We did that journey in a day when the Moselle was so wet we weren't allowed on grass pitches and no sign of improvements. It was Riccioni before we got dry sunny weather.

t660

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
bury lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi all going to Denmark in May to a country music festival and on the way back I am thinking of stopping of in Germany for a few days, after reading these reports I think Trier looks the spot for me. Cheers all

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I think there is only one that deserves that accolade - Neuschwanstein. It's just unbelievable.
Camping just in view of that very castle now and going to visit tomorrow.
Today going to the mineral baths in schwangau. (Anyone been? Looks interesting)
Visited cochem, trier, burg eltz and bernkastel years ago. Would do them again and highly recommend.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Oh forgot another vote for the camperstops book, invaluable here. Most of the towns have camperstops signposted in our experience and all of them appear clean and safe

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Rhine in Flames is worth the climb out of Moselle valley. We just happened across one of the displays at St Goar, slept in Lidl (with permission, no problem when they saw our trolley full of shopping )

t660

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
bury lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi all, just back from my 3weeks trip had agreat time on relatively empty roads compared to ours, weather was good over all and met some nice motorhoming people every where I went, only downside was a slight argument between my m/home and a small trailer in acarpark in Denmark now need a body repair shop to put it right anyone know any good ones in Lancs. area?, well I suppose I'll have to get the washing m/c on now and put my shorts away for another year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back