Victron 100/30 Setting? (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi.
After much faffing around I have finally lined all the ducks up with my solar fitment.
2 x 140w panels to start (from a very nice man on here) Tried buying the MIPV ones but it didn't work out.
Connected to a Victron 100/30 BT Regulator, feeding 2 x new Varta 90Ah leisure batteries.
The question is... what setting is the best on the controller for these batteries? I have downloaded the App and I can see that you can set the "float" to be whatever you want / need and having read a lot about different float voltage I am frankly confused which is the best, 13.7, 13.4?? If it stops dry tomorrow it will all be fitted... we hope!
Advice please.
Ta
Vans

Reactions: DBK

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Can you get the instructions online??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What a good question. I've just looked on the Varta website and I think it should be 13.4. I've replaced mine this week after 5 years and the system is set to 13.8 which from the Varta website is for AGM batteries. LFD90s are not AGM.
I've just contacted Varta and asked for their advice. If I get a reply I'll post it here. :)

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks guys, looking at the link Urs4 posted it's 13.4.. the reason I finally went with the Victron is that you can change it to what you need. Always like having "options" later down the line.
Victron is an excellent choice, in my opinion :) (y) I’ve experience using several different ones, all good and no problems!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just heard back from Varta - they recommend 13.4 volts for their leisure batteries. Mine have lasted 5 years on 13.8 so I guess the extra isn't fatal but I'll investigate reducing it.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Just heard back from Varta - they recommend 13.4 volts for their leisure batteries. Mine have lasted 5 years on 13.8 so I guess the extra isn't fatal but I'll investigate reducing it.
Been running mine at 13.7 - seems fine :)

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Many thanks for that, just finishing off the installation. Need to look into the equalisation stuff now... does it ever stop?
Cheers

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
After a long day I am done. Not one to rush... I have taken my time to get it "just right" :D
Not the best pics in the world but here we are..
Fitted the WI-Fi antenna at the same time and had to pull cables through etc. Fuse in the roof, fuse to the controller, however it is now a "stealth" fit and no wires visible. Victron is in the wardrobe out of the way buy viewable if required, not that I will need to with the app. Clever tech that... A very cloudy afternoon today but was getting a solid .5 amp which I can live with on a crap day. Looking forward to seeing what the performance is on a sunny day.
Thanks again for all the help.
Vans
solarroof.jpg
mppt.jpg

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Did you get the optional Bluetooth connector for the charger? It’s quite cheap and simply brilliant :)
No, I got the controller with the BT in it, actually cheaper than separate bizarrely!
It's a bit addictive watching the power coming in but it's a bit confusing to simple man like me. When you look at the status in full sunlight with a charged battery it show e.g. 10w. Only when you put a load on or the battery is low it does show you what it's really producing. (150w) Can't see a way of changing it but all works well. I can log in whilst I am in bed at home... another thing for the wife to moan at me for. She doesn't understand us ... real time battery info is SO INTERESTING. LOL

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
No, I got the controller with the BT in it, actually cheaper than separate bizarrely!
It's a bit addictive watching the power coming in but it's a bit confusing to simple man like me. When you look at the status in full sunlight with a charged battery it show e.g. 10w. Only when you put a load on or the battery is low it does show you what it's really producing. (150w) Can't see a way of changing it but all works well. I can log in whilst I am in bed at home... another thing for the wife to moan at me for. She doesn't understand us ... real time battery info is SO INTERESTING. LOL
Consider the solar panels to be like batteries. They only generate as much power as needed, until you reach their maximum production capacity. You’re not supposed to change that :) So you’re observing a well working system.

The wives need constant refueling to be able to keep moaning, so she should thank you :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back