VB Active Air System (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst our Morelo is back at the factory having a couple of small warranty items looked at and as it was going to be there for three weeks (our decision, not Morelo taking that long) I decided to have a tow bar fitted at the same time. Our vehicle had already been wired to have one but it never got installed so not a big job. The Morelo service team has been really helpful but I sometimes wish they'd communicate better; it can be days before they reply to an email and sometimes, they don't bother at all. Generally, I can't complain though; I don't speak or write German so maybe some things get lost in translation (as Michael will attest)!

I suddenly thought, while it's at the Morelo Service Centre, maybe I could get Meier to collect it to have the VB Active Air system installed from the 4C system currently fitted. After a few emails to organise it, this work is being done on Friday at Meier's factory in Altdorf.

I am really looking forward to seeing & feeling the difference. Apparently the braking distance is reduced, the ride comfort is improved (it was already really good) and the cross-wind performance is much-improved thanks to the active system.

For those interested, here's a video showing the VB Active Air system (in German)

We're driving through Germany into Belgium and France next week and then home so I'll have 650Km or so to test it out and let you all know what it's like.

The upgrade cost is €4,990 if you're wondering (it's £5,300 if done in the UK).

Anyone interested, speak to Oliver Ultsch at Meier; he's really helpful :)

Oliver Ultsch
Fahrzeugbau Meier GmbH
In der Herrnau 7
90518 Altdorf

Tel.: 09187 908978-16
Fax.: 09187 908978-31
Mail.: o.ultsch@fahrzeugbau-meier.de
Web: www.Fahrzeugbau-Meier.de

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I suddenly thought, while it's at the Morelo Service Centre, maybe I could get Meier to collect it to have the VB Active Air system installed from the 4C system currently fitted. After a few emails to organise it, this work is being done on Friday at Meier's factory in Altdorf.

I am really looking forward to seeing & feeling the difference. Apparently the braking distance is reduced, the ride comfort is improved (it was already really good) and the cross-wind performance is much-improved thanks to the active system.
I will be interested in your assessment Peter, I had Active air on my Yankee it was amazing and unnerving at the same time but a worthwhile feature, you will not notice any crosswind whatsoever!

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I will be interested in your assessment Peter, I had Active air on my Yankee it was amazing and unnerving at the same time but a worthwhile feature, you will not notice any crosswind whatsoever!
That's promising as I went over a high and exposed bridge in Germany a few weeks ago when it was very windy and nearly had a little (personal) accident :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst our Morelo is back at the factory having a couple of small warranty items looked at and as it was going to be there for three weeks (our decision, not Morelo taking that long) I decided to have a tow bar fitted at the same time. Our vehicle had already been wired to have one but it never got installed so not a big job. The Morelo service team has been really helpful but I sometimes wish they'd communicate better; it can be days before they reply to an email and sometimes, they don't bother at all. Generally, I can't complain though; I don't speak or write German so maybe some things get lost in translation (as Michael will attest)!

For those interested, here's a video showing the VB Active Air system (in German)

We're driving through Germany into Belgium and France next week and then home so I'll have 650Km or so to test it out and let you all know what it's like.

The upgrade cost is €4,990 if you're wondering (it's £5,300 if done in the UK).

Oliver Ultsch
Fahrzeugbau Meier GmbH
In der Herrnau 7
90518 Altdorf

I look forward to your report Peter. (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We’d be interested in your report too.

We were going to have it fitted earlier in the year and then put it on hold. Like you, we already have air suspension all round and weren’t sure if we’d see much improvement.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We’d be interested in your report too.

We were going to have it fitted earlier in the year and then put it on hold. Like you, we already have air suspension all round and weren’t sure if we’d see much improvement.
It's big money if the van performs satisfactorily. My Daily chassis was exemplary and having had experience of active air I would be pushed to justify the expense. I did not pay for it on the Yankee the original owner did to combat some wallowing and porpoiseing. Not a feature of the Daily chassis on the Flair. However Concordes implementation will be different.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We had rear air added to our Hymer as couldn’t do full air it was the only option, it was hoped it would overcome massive body roll at slow speeds on uneven ground

It made next to no difference, not really aware of any obvious driving improvement either

But we can lift rear to avoid grounding, that has been the only gain for £5K spend though

Maybe money well spent still though, I think we might have been close to leavingthe rear end behind on a few occasions before fitting ?

There is always a danger of convincing yourself it was money well spent though ??

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I enjoyed watching the video of the comparisons between the various vehicle configurations and would suggest that anyone thinking of this upgrade should watch it too.

Having 4C already, I suppose I should realistically only expect the slightest differences but any reduction in stopping distance will be a real bonus and, as I commented earlier, the cross-wind performance improvements and ride smoothing will be a real bonus.

I'll get back to you on this.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Right, I did say I'd post an update so here it is.

WOW! What an amazing difference the VB Activ Air system makes to this motorhome. It dramatically changes the handling; I mean, really amazing! It feels as steady as my Range Rover Sport now (well almost).

Driving from Morelo in Schlusselfeld to just north of Frankfurt today we covered 195 miles so have given it a good test. The sensation of any roll has gone completely on roundabouts and those crazy motorway on and off slips that do a 180-degree turn in as many yards! It is really sure-footed on bends and the added confidence & comfort for the driver and the passengers in high wind conditions (like today) is well worth it.

Of course, we operated it in 'Comfort' mode all day today rather than switching to the 'Sport' mode which I'm told makes it really quite a hard and rigid ride (careful boys)! I'll give that a test in a day or so and let you know.

In my opinion, the Morelo Palace on an Iveco Daily chassis should always have the active system fitted. It's a massive improvement in handling.

I have attached the English brochure/ manual for anyone interested

Attachments

• Aktiv air Anleitung Englisch.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 86

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Morning Peter,

It must be so fulfilling to take a gamble on a new piece of kit and have your faith rewarded. Your before and after experience is invaluable to others who consider this option reading this thread. Tell me when you drive into somewhere, say a fuel station, and you turn onto a pump and maybe there is a slope do you find when you get out that your van is set at a jaunty angle? I had this on several occasions in a variety of places and it does bring some interesting comments, so if it does for you dont worry its an idiosyncrasy of active air.
Out of interest how much did the conversion cost? EDIT stupid me you covered that!

Michael

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the update Peter.

It’s really useful to know the difference active air suspension makes when the vehicle already has all round VB.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Great feedback Peter, you say you have only run it in "comfort" mode so far which is understandable (y) would you say that the "comfort" setting with the active fitted is a firmer ride than the standard full air suspension?

Martin

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the update and the link Peter. Very handy for someone like me who will be in the market in the near future hopefully, and still weighing up all the options. (y)

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Great feedback Peter, you say you have only run it in "comfort" mode so far which is understandable (y) would you say that the "comfort" setting with the active fitted is a firmer ride than the standard full air suspension?

Martin
Hi Martin,

I wouldn't say that that 'Comfort' mode is firm at all. The whole stance of the vehicle on the road is improved by the system; the ride is smooth and not too firm yet it feels much more sure-footed. Bumps are smoothed out rather than 'collided into'. I positively look forward to roundabouts now rather than dreading them in the past as the roll was pretty significant before yet now it's just a much nicer experience.

When I commented to the Morelo Service guys about how pleased I was with this upgrade they kinda looked at me with a knowing grin in an understanding way like, "we all know just what a lumbering old sow this thing was before Activ Air came along".

There is a 'Standard' function (which I was told switches Activ off) so that is as close to original as I can now get but, even with it in this mode, the ride feels better; probably due to the new shocks all round even when Activ is disabled in this mode. I haven't tried the 'Standard' mode off the motorway yet so it may be that I need to and report back.

If you are seriousley thinking about buying a Morelo Palace, you are welcome to come over and take a drive with me to experience it for yourself. DM me if you'd like to and I can give you our address info off-line.

My next mission is to get a Telma Retarder fitted as I hate the factory brakes.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Peter

Thanks for those comments and your kind offer?

Telma retarder? Do you have the extra range fuel tank as I understand fitting a Telma cuts 20 litres from the standard 90 litre tank?

Martin

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Martin,

We do have the long-range fuel tank but I have little idea exactly how much it holds (other than it's a lot)! We just hit the red line on the gauge the other day so pulled in to refuel and squirted 145Ltrs in!

Would the retarder reduce the long-range tank capacity too?

I know that ZF makes a retarder that fits to the back of the gearbox so maybe that is the way to go as I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much fuel capacity to get a retarder fitted.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Peter

My bedtime reading tells me that with a Telma retarder the standard tank is cut to 70 litres, the option tank is 200 litres and is available with the Telma so it sounds like when you filled up on the red you still had 55 litres to go so a decent safety margin (y)

I don't know anything about the ZF one but will start reading, Telma have been around for yonks.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wondering what’s the difference between a retarder and engine braking?

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

Oliver Ultsch
Fahrzeugbau Meier GmbH
In der Herrnau 7
90518 Altdorf

On Tuesday this week, Oliver told me he is leaving VB to work elsewhere in a couple of weeks so grab a new contact from their website as his info will be out of date very soon.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Wondering what’s the difference between a retarder and engine braking?
As far as my memory recalls, the old-style engine braking used a system to block the exhaust gasses leaving the engine effectively slowing the engine by using exhaust back-pressure whereas retardation is used to slow the prop shaft/gearbox electro-magnetically.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
The Telma option is a pretty pricey option though.

I was reminded of them when at the Meier factory this week. They have one on display in their office and I think they fit them for Morelo. An upgrade job takes 3 weeks as the prop shafts have to go to Cologne for re-sizing/ welding.

Having just spent a month of driving to Morelo, flying home, waiting a month, flying back and now driving home again I reckon I won't be doing it again soon! Had I known Meier fit Telma's I would have extended the time they had it here and gone for it as I'm no fan of the Iveco front brakes (mine make a weird noise when braking; like the disks are warped). I will look at what can be done with them though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back