Vanbitz security (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
I'm new to motor-homing
Hi everyone. Getting our new Motorhome next week & no experience of motorhoming previously so looking forward to exciting times ahead!! However not so exciting when I understand about break ins. Read about Vanbitz & their excellent reputation & security systems. Just received reply & now considering the Strikeback vs Growler systems. Anyone have experience of either of these? Also I need a Motorhome Fun discount code Vanbitz said to get 10% off. Where can I find this code?
Thanks

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Don't skimp go to the Best first that's Vanbitz! I can also vouch for the after sales service second to none .You will sleep safe at night with the Growler and feel comfortable leaving the van alone .Enjoy .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi, we have both on our Benimar and in my opinion it’s the best money you can spend on your motorhome . Those flashing blue lights you get with the growler certainly say keep away not to mention the racket that the alarm sets off . I think not sure but no motorhome has been stolen with this system fitted .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
I'm new to motor-homing
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. ? You should quote your Funster membership number : 66541 (it's in your avatar) when booking to get discount.

Wyn
Thanks. Trying to ‘learn’ how to use this site. Figured out the Avatar is our symbol J ( guess this chosen for us & I see can it can change) but can’t see where the funster number is...Did you find it as 66541? I opened the Avatar but couldn’t see it
Thanks again

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Ju.Ca According to the fun discount thread you need to quote the discount code quoted here Link Removed

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Growler System is great, I can only have the Blue LED's on at 50% brightness at home on the drive, as it upsets the neighbours across the road, and my suggestion that they used fully lined Blackout Curtains in their 1st floor bedrooms didn't go down to well. :xangry:
I am just waiting for them to erect and switch on their stroboscopic Blue Flashing Xmas lights this year, then see what answers they have when I complain to them, bet they haven't even got a dimmer facility.
Bah Humbug or something similar I bet.
Book in early at Vanbitz as there is sometimes a long appointment lead time, as we discovered, but worth it in the end.
Great system, expertly installed, lovely guys....warning! dont get involved in any conversation about Rugby!
LES

Upvote 0

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. ? You should quote your Funster membership number : 66541 (it's in your avatar) when booking to get discount.

Wyn

That is incorrect I have just had a growler fitted and you need the correct discount code not your funsters number it's in the discounts section

Upvote 0

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Fantastic company and a real lovely bunch, Vanbitz from start to finish are spot on including after sales, and Nick is unbelievable, tell him your name and he won't just remember you he will tell you your entire set up and what you had fitted months down the line without looking at a computer screen first, top geezer and very helpful.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Competent, sometimes.
Hi
We have a Growler alarm, added by a previous owner. Good, well thought out alarm. Wife likes the perimeter security feature, lets us arm it whilst inside.
We have had some issues, LEDs failed, hab door sensor failed and the entire alarm lost all power.
We are in Somerset so a trip to Vanbitz and all was easily sorted.
They are also good on the phone if you have a query. If we had a new van, we would fit this alarm.

Good luck with your new van.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks. Trying to ‘learn’ how to use this site. Figured out the Avatar is our symbol J ( guess this chosen for us & I see can it can change) but can’t see where the funster number is...Did you find it as 66541? I opened the Avatar but couldn’t see it
Thanks again

Hi
Look at your post on this page. You’ll see your big purple square with J in it, to the left of what you wrote. . Then info below it. 4th in that list is your Funster number.

Upvote 0

JonHG

Free Member
Oct 30, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 540
Exp
Since 2008
We are just back from VanBitz having had Growler and Meta Trax system fitted. Great service throughout, even when you ring them back with daft questions because you have already forgotten what they told you! Adjacent camp site is good with a free night thrown in.

old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Ju.Ca According to the fun discount thread you need to quote the discount code quoted here Link Removed
And remember you need to quote it at the time of booking

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Hi everyone. Getting our new Motorhome next week & no experience of motorhoming previously so looking forward to exciting times ahead!! However not so exciting when I understand about break ins. Read about Vanbitz & their excellent reputation & security systems. Just received reply & now considering the Strikeback vs Growler systems. Anyone have experience of either of these? Also I need a Motorhome Fun discount code Vanbitz said to get 10% off. Where can I find this code?
Thanks
We have had the system fitted in thee mh and have been impressed by the fitting and quality of the service provided. I like being in control of the recovery process, if it does get stolen, as you can track it on your phone and immobilise it when it stops and have the alarm sounding when you want.
I certainly wouldn’t use a dealership to install any system and go for a company that only fit alarms
The only other factor to consider is whether the system is recognised by the insurance companies as being fit for purpose as in being Thatcham approved. Depending on the value of the mh then this can be a critical factor in getting more options with quotes from other companies.
I hear other people mention Outsmart the Thief as I belief that if the alarm is sounded, then the vehicle is immobilised automatically, but have never used them.
As long as you fit something , then that must be sensible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
I'm new to motor-homing
We have had the system fitted in thee mh and have been impressed by the fitting and quality of the service provided. I like being in control of the recovery process, if it does get stolen, as you can track it on your phone and immobilise it when it stops and have the alarm sounding when you want.
I certainly wouldn’t use a dealership to install any system and go for a company that only fit alarms
The only other factor to consider is whether the system is recognised by the insurance companies as being fit for purpose as in being Thatcham approved. Depending on the value of the mh then this can be a critical factor in getting more options with quotes from other companies.
I hear other people mention Outsmart the Thief as I belief that if the alarm is sounded, then the vehicle is immobilised automatically, but have never used them.
As long as you fit something , then that must be sensible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
I'm new to motor-homing
Thank you everyone for all your very helpful replies & advice. Seems the concensus is for the Growler over the Strikeback. I saw that break ins were often easily done prying up the cab lock / handle surround & using a screwdriver & the door opens! I thought of buying those secure cab lock covers (ProPlate) that is an immediate visual deterrent but at £119 don’t think they would be needed if enough Growler stickers etc are visable. I am guessing the Growler LED’s etc plus stickers are very obvious & visable & thieves see & just not bother attempting to break in. So - am guessing Growler & the already dealer fitted Tracker is sufficient security ( and don’t leave the Motorhome on continental motorway service areas!)

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Growler System is great, I can only have the Blue LED's on at 50% brightness at home on the drive, as it upsets the neighbours across the road, and my suggestion that they used fully lined Blackout Curtains in their 1st floor bedrooms didn't go down to well. :xangry:

Sorry, I have to ask this, but why would you want the LEDs on full brightness at night anywhere? They are obvious enough on the lower setting in the dark to anyone with bad intentions and the high setting is surely just asking to attract unwanted attention, possibly from vandals.

I've always thought that the purpose of the brighter setting is so that the warning lights can be seen in bright daylight. The only time I switch mine to the bright setting is if I arm the van when parked during the day.

If you're on a site at night, the bright setting is almost guaranteed to upset someone, and if you're wild camping it's going to attract the attention of people coming to investigate what's going on in circumstances where I usually try to be as discreet as possible.

If the alarm goes off, you'll get all the attention you want ;)

Common sense and consideration for others, surely - or am I the one who's lost the plot? :confused:

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Ju.Ca Another ? from me for the Growler/Strikeback system. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Proplates - many others have and its purely down to personal preference.

My thinking is yes, the VanBitz system is highly visible and if they choose to try it on, everyone in the local vicinity will hear it, I will get an alert on my phone, and the van is immobilised - my thinking is there will almost always be easier targets for them.

But if they do want to try it on, I want as little damage as possible done to the van.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry, I have to ask this, but why would you want the LEDs on full brightness at night anywhere? They are obvious enough on the lower setting in the dark to anyone with bad intentions and the high setting is surely just asking to attract unwanted attention, possibly from vandals.

I've always thought that the purpose of the brighter setting is so that the warning lights can be seen in bright daylight. The only time I switch mine to the bright setting is if I arm the van when parked during the day.

If you're on a site at night, the bright setting is almost guaranteed to upset someone, and if you're wild camping it's going to attract the attention of people coming to investigate what's going on in circumstances where I usually try to be as discreet as possible.

Common sense and consideration for others, surely - or am I the one who's lost the plot? :confused:
They were referring to when it was parked on their drive and not in use. It would be a pain to have to go out twice every day and deactivate the alarm and unlock, and then reactivate and re-lock just to change the setting from dim to bright in the morning and back to dim again in the evening.

We keep ours on dim when it is parked on the drive as the bright version stands out too much at night because of the lack of street lights. But I must say that on bright sunny days you really cannot see the blue light flashing when on dim, which sort of defeats the purpose during the day.

Maybe eddievanbitz could introduce an automatic change over system :giggle:(y)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously

Hi in answer to that question, we had just picked the van up brand new from the dealers,then taken to Vanbitz to have the Growler and meta tracker fitted, then returned home, parked on drive & set the alarm for the first time on driveway.
We were obviously novices at this point and had not fully appreciated how bright the LED's were at night on full setting, or that it would wind up neighbours so quickly.
Having set the LED's now to 50%, that is where they have remained ever since, I agree that we would maybe set them on full during the daytime, or when parked in a more risky location.
Hope that explains the situation.
LES

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
A light sensor that automatically brightened or dimmed the lights would be a good idea (y)

My van is parked on the drive and I find the LEDs on their dim setting are noticeable in all but the very brightest conditions. Just as, if not more noticeable in daylight though are the Vanbitz warning stickers on the cab and rear doors.

I did inadvertently leave mine on the brightest setting once after returning home. We had neighbours phoning us and knocking at the door to see if everything was OK as soon as it got dark. I didn't have the chance to dim them between answering the phone and the door :LOL:

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Have had mine on full ever since I had it fitted last sept, not had one complaint either at home or any rally/campsite or aire?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
A good product, very nice people, very efficient and responsive. Only had one problem with a magnet contact but that was sorted easily.
Just check with your insurance company that the system meets with their specific requirements. Ours eventually agreed the system in terms of category but it took a several calls then several more for them to agree to cover the motorhome on the journey between the dealer and Vanbitz. I am sure Vanbitz will clarify here the current insurance categories which is often related to the value of the motorhome and the individual insurance criteria. Ours is Safeguard - who are also nice people.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Most car or motorcycle alarms fitted to motorhomes by mobile dealers, are designed to be easily installed, for the speed and ease for the installer, and often designed to be as cheap as possible.

Plugging or connecting into the OBDP or connection (the easily accessible, factory fitted diagnostic port) or connecting into, the easily overcome, central locking system to arm/disarm the alarm (So no keys fobs, Wireless sensors, sensors that can be turned off at a flick or a switch, and single LED that can only be seen at night when then blinds and curtains are open

We believe that if every manufacturer includes an LED, even at the cheaper, non Thatcham end of the market, then every manufacturer believes that the power of deterrent is worth having.

We simply think that if it’s a deterrent, why only at night? So our LED system on our Growler system is daylight bright. Obviously if you can see something in bright daylight, on a moonless night, it’s very bright, which is why we have a day/night mode to allow our customers to select what ‘they’ think.

Parked all alone in an Aire in France, most people would feel more comfortable letting the world to know his/her motorhome is alarmed, less so on a nice quiet site.

Personally? My wife and I use electric bikes and love the freedom they give us to got out together with distance or terrain not the decision making choice of destination, our Growler system allow the alarm to be exported out from the motorhome, via a switchable security protection ‘loop’ so along with the lock we use, the bikes and the (bloody expensive ?) bike rack is alarmed as well, so to me is makes complete sense to have an obvious, deterrent, day or night flashing away to make opportunistic, spur of the moment scumbags move on the an easier, or, easier looking target

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Most car or motorcycle alarms fitted to motorhomes by mobile dealers, are designed to be easily installed, for the speed and ease for the installer, and often designed to be as cheap as possible.

Plugging or connecting into the OBDP or connection (the easily accessible, factory fitted diagnostic port) or connecting into, the easily overcome, central locking system to arm/disarm the alarm (So no keys fobs, Wireless sensors, sensors that can be turned off at a flick or a switch, and single LED that can only be seen at night when then blinds and curtains are open

We believe that if every manufacturer includes an LED, even at the cheaper, non Thatcham end of the market, then every manufacturer believes that the power of deterrent is worth having.

We simply think that if it’s a deterrent, why only at night? So our LED system on our Growler system is daylight bright. Obviously if you can see something in bright daylight, on a moonless night, it’s very bright, which is why we have a day/night mode to allow our customers to select what ‘they’ think.

Parked all alone in an Aire in France, most people would feel more comfortable letting the world to know his/her motorhome is alarmed, less so on a nice quiet site.

Personally? My wife and I use electric bikes and love the freedom they give us to got out together with distance or terrain not the decision making choice of destination, our Growler system allow the alarm to be exported out from the motorhome, via a switchable security protection ‘loop’ so along with the lock we use, the bikes and the (bloody expensive ?) bike rack is alarmed as well, so to me is makes complete sense to have an obvious, deterrent, day or night flashing away to make opportunistic, spur of the moment scumbags move on the an easier, or, easier looking target
We have been traveling all over Europe for 20 months and Vanbitz gives us confidence that when we park up to explore the van is as safe as can be in this day and age,on one occasion the jammer alerted us via phone and within 5 minutes i am back at the van it was after a call to the Vanbitz team that it was possibly one of the lorries parked next door that had triggered the alarm.At night we can sleep sound in the knowledge that the LED lights deter a would be intruder, the external loop saves us having to put the bikes or BBQ etc away every night. Simply it does what it says on the tin!

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Vanbitz, Vanbitz, who are they ? Do we know them ? What do they do ? Are they members on here ? :gum:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back