LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Anybody changed the SIM in their NonStarter? Is it just a matter of changing the SIM and sending the appropriate code to the new sim number?
I have been caught out too many times by the Lebara one not getting a signal when the Tesco sim in my phone has plenty.
It is really annoying when just about to leave and the thing will not disarm and have to strip the van down to disconnect it. Nothing wrong with the unit all sim related.
Can't contact VanBitz as they are on holidays till 8th January.
If nobody knows I will just have to give it a try as I don't want to put any more money onto the Lebara one and have a spare Tesco PAYG sim.
Thanks to anybody that knows.
Steve

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Anybody changed the SIM in their NonStarter? Is it just a matter of changing the SIM and sending the appropriate code to the new sim number?
I have been caught out too many times by the Lebara one not getting a signal when the Tesco sim in my phone has plenty.
It is really annoying when just about to leave and the thing will not disarm and have to strip the van down to disconnect it. Nothing wrong with the unit all sim related.
Can't contact VanBitz as they are on holidays till 8th January.
If nobody knows I will just have to give it a try as I don't want to put any more money onto the Lebara one and have a spare Tesco PAYG sim.
Thanks to anybody that knows.
Steve

Yes - @HippyRockChic hadn’t spent any money by using hers and lebara just cancelled the sim.

She put a new Tesco one in and away you go! :)

Warning to others here with same system: Make sure you use it from time to time eh!! :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Steve
As I understand it, changing the sim in the non starter is as simple as you suggest.
Simply send the arm and disarm codes to the new number.
Maybe wise keep hold of the old sim just in case.

I’d also suggest emailing the new number to Vanbitz so they can update their records

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Assuming it can be done, I would recommend one of these.

https://www.globalm2msim.com/

Never known it not to find a signal on someone’s network. Got one in Winnie’s tracker and also on my bike tracker. :xThumb:

Also got their 3G phone sim as well. Costs £5 +vat per year plus calls. Don’t use it much, but great when abroad and your normal phone sim has no signal.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Assuming it can be done, I would recommend one of these.

https://www.globalm2msim.com/

Never known it not to find a signal on someone’s network. Got one in Winnie’s tracker and also on my bike tracker. :xThumb:

Looks like you can’t see my reply above - so must assume i’ve managed to get sent to Coventry - lol! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've changed the SIM in mine. Accidentally forgot to message it for too long so the original one cancelled itself.

@OldAgeTravellers you won't be able to use a Tesco SIM. The pager is locked to Vodafone and it's client networks so if you don't want another Lebara one the replacement has to be part of the Vodafone net which won't really help you if you're having coverage issues.

List of virtual network operators here You'd have to pick one that has Vodafone as the host network.

I'm not sure if getting the pager unlocked is an option. You'll have to wait and speak to Vanbitz and see what they say if you want to do that.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks Robert,
Yes that is as I understand it but hoped someone who had done it would come back. Good Idea to email the number.
I only have £0.60p left on the sim which should last till 8th Jan as long as I don't set the alarm off causing a chargeable text at £0.19p which only gives me three calls so will wait till I get a definitive answer or have to dismantle.
Steve.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, mine expired through no use whilst I was away for 6 months. Very annoying - so a Vodafone related sim is required?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks @NickNic, oops that could be a problem and answers why I am have ng the problem.
Steve

Also on a purely practical note unless you already know where they've hidden it you'll have to wait until Vanbitz are back so they can tell you anyway.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Looks like you can’t see my reply above - so must assume i’ve managed to get sent to Coventry - lol! :)

Yes, I can see you, but other than it can be done, sorry don’t get it, perhaps I’m having a thick day. :xblink:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've got one of the later versions of the Non Starter that uses their own Sim, just renew annually, I think I paid £50, but once paid you can use unlimited texts and status messages and it won't die because of inactivity. Even if it runs out they can reactivate so you'll never have to swop sims again.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert,
Yes that is as I understand it but hoped someone who had done it would come back. Good Idea to email the number.
I only have £0.60p left on the sim which should last till 8th Jan as long as I don't set the alarm off causing a chargeable text at £0.19p which only gives me three calls so will wait till I get a definitive answer or have to dismantle.
Steve.
I was told by Vanbitz that it was ok to swap the sim card when I was selling my last van.
In the end I simply gave the new owner access to the Lebara account and they added their card to cover the recurring payment.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I've got one of the later versions of the Non Starter that uses their own Sim, just renew annually, I think I paid £50, but once paid you can use unlimited texts and status messages and it won't die because of inactivity. Even if it runs out they can reactivate so you'll never have to swop sims again.
Must be what we've got as i ws never told about charges or top up needed. Ours was fitted Oct 2016. Renewed over thr phone dead easy.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had to replace our sim as forgot the 2 month rule over a year ago. The sim holder is VERY delicate so take care. The last three times we have used the van it wouldnt disarm but if we tried the ignition and then sent the disarm code again it worked and then rearms fine on our arrival. This is easier than getting at those two horribled screws on the dashboard.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had to replace our sim as forgot the 2 month rule over a year ago. The sim holder is VERY delicate so take care. The last three times we have used the van it wouldnt disarm but if we tried the ignition and then sent the disarm code again it worked and then rearms fine on our arrival. This is easier than getting at those two horribled screws on the dashboard.

Yes we had a similar setup in our old Hymer and forgot to top up, what a pain. The new system is much better.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like a good option. I have to go and see them anyway as I get false alarms on my growler. They replaced the internal sensor which indicated it was the problem but unfortunately still persists

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks everybody for the replies, if it is locked to Vodafone that is the reason I am having problems because where I go their coverage is useless which is why I moved to Tesco. The new system is no good to me as I do not have or want data on my phone. If it is locked to a network I am surprised VanBitz didn't mention it as they knew I lived abroad for most of the year.
I had better struggle through till they open again on the 8th.
The Lebara sim is also a pain because it is five times the cost for texts than Tesco, nothing in the scheme of things but why pay five times as much for an inferior service.
Steve

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I had a reminder direct from meta trak early this month for the renewal cost (£50.00) for the next year. Paid direct over the phone, absolutely painless.
Not due until mid January but paid and can forget about.
No limit on usage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back