Van conversion or coach built (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I want to change from a coach built to a van conversion,what are the drawbacks?
I'm concerned about tanks freezing in a cold spell and don't want to get mine done as I want to change it. It is cold in a conversion?

Deleted User
Not likely to be cold in a van conversion as normally they have far more insulation than purpose built so in fact are probably a lot warmer.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
As long as the PVC has its fresh water tank inside, I don't think you'll have much problems keeping warm and "frozen water" free. Generally well insulated and a much smaller space to keep warm.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The only compromise is size. As long as you choose the layout that suits you and a well built van there is no worry with cold. A PVC heats up faster than a large square coachbuilt.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the only drawback is size(y) if you can call it that :D It could well be a big positive....Chances are you will have exactly the same facilities as the CB and it will be every bit as warm.
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are currently downsizing from years of coachbuilt to a PVC, picking it up on 26th November.

As a result of an old injury I sometimes have back problems which interferes with driving. Mrs Maison didn't want to drive something as big as our coachbuilt which caused a problem if I was in trouble while away.

She suggested the downsizing, which I didn't fancy, until I realised that we spend 95% of our time sitting in the cab dinette or in bed. The other 5% is spent in the kitchen area or shower, so for 95% of the time the more limited dimensions should not be a problem.

we have also noticed, in friends PVCs, that they warm up quicker in cold weather. Our fresh water tank is insulated and heated so don't expect any problems there.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our Rapido PVC's fresh water tank is inside, under the bed. An optional heater element is available for the underfloor waste water tank. The silver screens we bought make a difference; even the cab feels toasty warm. So far, the rear barn doors and sliding side door seem draft-free when shut. The build sheet which we found had been left in a locker by the converters says insulation has also been fitted inside the sliding door and rear doors. We are new to PVCs and discovered that we need a duvet with lower TOGs than we use at home!

The thoroughness and effectiveness of insulation does vary between PVCs, so it is advisable to do some research before you buy, unless you are a 3-seasons-only tourer.

The PVC is my daily driver. An unexpected benefit is that the Fiat cab heater is enough to keep the hab area warm while driving probably because there is less volume in the back to heat.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you can run to it, I'd be inclined to look at a German or French van conversion - they tend to all be designed for taking skiing, so have good insulation and ideal for cold weather.

Globecar (German) are well made and popular on here

Rapido (French) also have a good reputation

But there are plenty of other continental PVC brands to choose from.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's no good us answering your question Trish :rolleyes: we don't do winters. :LOL: But had our Rapido v53 PVC since June 2013 and still happy with it, now done 52000 miles, we would only change to get a LHD and would stay with a PCV. (y)

This is it. http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2012-rapido-v53

:) Bob.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you can run to it, I'd be inclined to look at a German or French van conversion - they tend to all be designed for taking skiing, so have good insulation and ideal for cold weather.

Globecar (German) are well made and popular on here

Rapido (French) also have a good reputation

But there are plenty of other continental PVC brands to choose from.
There are also plenty of British van conversions about, all with level 3 insulation.

The deciding factor for us to buy British was simply layout. We couldn't find a Continental one to suit our needs, even though we searched in France where we spend six months of the year.

If you can live with their layout there are some nice Continental PVCs about though.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I' not disagreeing totally with all that' been said but I do think the potential for draughts and heat loss is greater with pvc..
But so much depends on build quality.. modern coach built with their sandwich dense foam construction have to generally be the better insulated...
A pvc may heat up quicker but they loose that heat as soon as a sliding door or back door is opened..
Just an observation after reading the majority of replies..
If I was planing on living in a van full time I'd prefer a coach built...
Andy..

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I too am happy with my pvc. For one thing, the base van is designed from the start to be a whole vehicle and in metal. I've seen a couple of coachbuilt vans badly damaged from very slight half-mile an hour rear quarter contact. One occasion it was an overhanging branch, push the whole thing out of true, and another the bottom rear quarter on a tree root, not quite so bad but bad enough to damage the water seal, I assume. In essence, there are 4 plastic sandwich boards stuck corner-on. Tweak them out of true and you have problems. And I would agree, there are some nice UK built pvcs. Mine was Italian built, and I think the build is superb. Now they are built in Grimsby. Mmmm. Not seen one yet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I want to change from a coach built to a van conversion,what are the drawbacks?
I'm concerned about tanks freezing in a cold spell and don't want to get mine done as I want to change it. It is cold in a conversion?
It depends where you want to go Trish. If you plan on skiing then something like a Globecar/Possl would be best but you would need to be happy with the layout.
Our Murvi has an "indoor" water tank and the toilet compartment gets quite warm when the heating is on so there's little chance of the cassette freezing. The waste tank is underslung but if we were camping somewhere with extended periods of freezing we would just leave the waste tap open and put a bucket under it. We have Webasto diesel heating and you could turn the van into a sauna if we wanted to. It is very powerful.
I know at least one single lady who does extended trips on her own in a 5.5m Murvi but the extra half metre of a 6.0m van gives quite a lot more space, assuming the layout is done correctly. My brother has an East Neuk Touring L which are as rare as hens' teeth but he uses it in Scotland (he lives up there) throughout the winter and it has an underslung fresh water tank.
Happy to show you ours if you ever come Plymouth way, although I will be around Brighton mid-December and then again over Christmas. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I' not disagreeing totally with all that' been said but I do think the potential for draughts and heat loss is greater with pvc..
But so much depends on build quality.. modern coach built with their sandwich dense foam construction have to generally be the better insulated...
A pvc may heat up quicker but they loose that heat as soon as a sliding door or back door is opened..
Just an observation after reading the majority of replies..
If I was planing on living in a van full time I'd prefer a coach built...
Andy..
All fair points @andy63 .

One definite advantage that PVCs appear to have is that there is less chance of water ingress through seams opening through use.

Although I say that we have owned six different coachbuilt withou any water/damp problems which is more than I can say for one of the Caravans we had!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
How often do you plan to be out in sub-zero temperatures? I'd plan for the routine rather than occasional.
Many folk use PVCs in winter and survive to repeat the experience, so they can't be too bad. One advantage of a PVC is that you can reach just about everything from the same place but you'll need to seek the permission of other occupants before passing. It's all swings, roundabouts, and personal preference.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
One definite advantage that PVCs appear to have is that there is less chance of water ingress through seams opening through use.
Again true to a point .. but cutting holes to fit windows and rooflights on a panel van conversion is fraught with more problems than fitting them in a coachbuilt. .. with their usually flat square surface... much harder to get it right on a van with their sloping sides and irregular roof...I had to make up plywood inserts for the windows to lie flat... and same on the roof for the rooflights.
I think thats Why some vans lend themselves to converting more than others ... they are more box shaped and have flatter sides... the transit panel van was one of the more difficult as I found out :D
Andy

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Trish, I think I understand where you are coming from, but are you still intending full timing in your van, if so I would send @Theonlysue a pm she full times and always had coach builts/A class then this summer she changed to a really nice coach built, I think it lasted a couple of months at the most before she changed back. It's one thing holidays and week ends it could be different full timing.
It's early days yet I'm sure lots going on.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There are also plenty of British van conversions about, all with level 3 insulation.

The deciding factor for us to buy British was simply layout. We couldn't find a Continental one to suit our needs, even though we searched in France where we spend six months of the year.

If you can live with their layout there are some nice Continental PVCs about though.
Oops, very sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone with a British-converted van... ;)

Our PVC has a dedicated ski storage compartment, which I'm not sure you'll find on too many UK ones... or perhaps you do, and I haven't looked hard enough. :whistle: And I may be naive, but it just helps my confidence, concerning the design and level of thermal insulation you can't see.

Oh and not suggesting Trish actually wants to go skiing. Although she may? (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps it would help Trish if people actually said what PVCs they've actually got! :rolleyes:

We've got a Globecar FamilyScout L and don't find it cold at all and we have been away in below freezing temperatures with no issues. As for it being colder than a coachbuilt when opening the side/rear doors, simply don't open them unless you want/need to, just as with a coachbuilt! :) We find it heats up much quicker than any of our coachbuilts ever did even with 'bigger' heaters, also with it being a bit lower in height inside than most coachbuilts you're not heating up the 'head space' first which takes quite a bit of gas to do so and time too.

Quite apart from the 'winter' concerns, in the summer you simply cannot beat being a PVC with the rear doors thrown wide open and being able to just sprawl out on the bed and chill ... wonderful.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Perhaps it would help Trish if people actually said what PVCs they've actually got! :rolleyes:

We've got a Globecar FamilyScout L and don't find it cold at all and we have been away in below freezing temperatures with no issues. As for it being colder than a coachbuilt when opening the side/rear doors, simply don't open them unless you want/need to, just as with a coachbuilt! :) We find it heats up much quicker than any of our coachbuilts ever did even with 'bigger' heaters, also with it being a bit lower in height inside than most coachbuilts you're not heating up the 'head space' first which takes quite a bit of gas to do so and time too.

Quite apart from the 'winter' concerns, in the summer you simply cannot beat being a PVC with the rear doors thrown wide open and being able to just sprawl out on the bed and chill ... wonderful.
Absolutely love the rear doors thing, quite a few times we've parked on aires, maybe a bit crowded with vans close by (too close sometimes). Find a spot with a good view, reverse into it, throw the doors open... magic. We also have some black mozzie curtains from Lidl we can string across. People do look in, but mostly I think because they note the curtains. (Madame Zeezee' tell your fortune?) You are stretched out, feet across the seats, swigging a coffee or vino, smile sweetly and say "bon journee". They look a little embarrassed, and walk on*. We used to feel a little claustrophobic on some aires, but that makes a big difference. It is camping, but discreet camping.

*Yes, even the French can be embarrassed when caught peeking!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We've got a Tribute T670, the one with 2 lounges, front and back. Very pleased with it. Insulation seems OK, perhaps the rear doors can be a little cold in winter, but easily covered with a blanket. Doesn't bother me, I'm on the easy night wee wee side.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@Welsh girl I would not be rushing to change for several months yet. Bereavement is a very stressful time and all to easy to make bad decisions that you later regret

we have owned several pvc vans and they are great for short term holidays but very claustrophobic for long term touring

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've just been to see a timberland destiny which I lovede but the esbacho (spelling? Heating put me off. It's like a turbo powered monster but I was told it dies get quieter when in operation. It does have underslung tanks but pipes are insulated. it would mean downsizing my stuff built up over the years but the driving would be good with a narrower and shorter van.. it was a rear lounge. I don't think I could get on with the front dinette sitting and I would plan on exiting the van via the cab on cold evenings.
PS . I parked next to a campervan with that heating and it's quite noisy on a quiet site and the sliding door. I wouldn't like to annoy the neighbours.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The eberspacher
I've just been to see a timberland destiny which I lovede but the esbacho (spelling? Heating put me off. It's like a turbo powered monster but I was told it dies get quieter when in operation. It does have underslung tanks but pipes are insulated. it would mean downsizing my stuff built up over the years but the driving would be good with a narrower and shorter van.. it was a rear lounge. I don't think I could get on with the front dinette sitting and I would plan on exiting the van via the cab on cold evenings.
PS . I parked next to a campervan with that heating and it's quite noisy on a quiet site and the sliding door. I wouldn't like to annoy the neighbours.
The Eberspacher heaters are famous for being noisy but they can be fitted with silencers. In a lot of installations these are left off, presumably to save money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back